John Waterman

Punisher: MAX Discussion

I don't want to sound as if it is horrible. It was good enough to justify me picking the 2nd trade Kitchen Irish. Should the trend continue I may end up reading the whole series.

Atleast get the third trade Mother Russia, which is about as much fun as one could ever hope for.

Mark is intriniscally right about Kitchen Irish, a strong start, more of a Punisher cameo but ultimately by the numbers.

Still solid enough, but hey this and Barracuda are as low as it gets and that's a compliment.

Worth it just for the harrowing The Slavers(Trade 5 or 6).

Yeah, you can probably skip Kitchen Irish for now, unless you've already bought it. Mother Russia is about as good as the series gets, though, so if you don't like that one, you really don't need to bother with the rest.

I think I will trust everyone's judgement and go directly to Mother Russia. (cue anthem)

Unbreakable union of freeborn republics

Great Russia has welded forever to stand!

Created in struggle by will of the people

United and mighty, our Soviet land!

CHORUS:

Sing to the Motherland, home of the free,

Bulwark of people, in brotherhood strong!

Oh! Party of Lenin! The strength of the people.

To Communism's triumph lead us on!

Through tempests the sunrays of freedom have cheered us

Along the new path where great Lenin did lead!

To a righteous cause he raised up the people

Inspired them to labor and valorous deed!

CHORUS

In the victory of Communism's deathless ideal,

We see the future of our dear land

And to her fluttering scarlet banner,

selflessly true, we always shall stand!

CHORUS

The Cell sound interesting as well. Reminds me of Devil in Cell Block D from Daredevil.

Now that is more like it. I finished Mother Russia in one sitting, it was so good. I enjoyed almost everything about this; Frank killing Russians, Fury, Frank connecting with Galina, Frank and co. escaping in damned nuclear missle!! And the show stealer: Nick "Mother Fuckin'" Fury.

The only problem I had with this was the way Braithwaite draws faces. They're just ugly.

Does any of this come back to bite Frank in the ass? I am guessing the "Man of Stone" returns in some capacity down the road.

Does any of this come back to bite Frank in the ass? I am guessing the "Man of Stone" returns in some capacity down the road.

That'd be telling.

Up Is Down, Black Is White is even better than Mother Russia and is a great follow up on In the Beginning and Mother Russia.

What happens when a guy goes too far with the Punisher by pissing on his family's grave? He kills a large amount of cannon fodder and then puts a mean hurt on him. The politics behind all of the goings on with Police Department, Mayor's office and DA was rather interesting.

After reading 3 trades and greatly enjoying 2 out of 3 (the first just not as much) I am starting to understand so many of you like this book. I see more of Ennis' Punisher in my future.

If you're in for a penny then you're in for a pound.

You might as well pick up or e-steal/read Kitchen Irish then and make up your own mind.

As you've probably noticed, Ennis' run itself develops an overiding plot with reocurring characters.

Reading Kitchen Irish now would be more rewarding then later.

Personally I'd save Punisher the Cell till after Ennis' sequential run and just before Punisher: The End (If youre up for that one too).

There's a few lines in The Cell that lead me to believe that it works best that way.

Lastly it's essential that you read Punisher:Born before Ennis' last Valley Forge, Valley Forge arc.

They bookend his run fantastically.

Yep. I probably dislike Kitchen Irish more than either Jason or Rohne, but I'd still agree that it's worth reading now, rather than later. I was just suggesting that you skip it while you were still unsure if you were going to bother reading more of the series.

I thought you were clear enough Mark, and I agree that perhaps The Punisher shouldn't be referred to as the Ennis Masterpiece, as it doesn't reflect all of his writing capapability and essentially his unique style, that say Preacher and Hitman do.

There's something about the MAX Punisher title that distilled Ennis (And you're probably right about limiting too).

For my money and from the Ennis I've read (That's only the first half of Hitman mind you) it's still my favourite and his best, but it isn't typical or truly reflective Ennis no.

But yeah definitely Kitchen Irish before Man of Stone.

Lastly, I'm not exactly sure where the one shot Punisher:Tyger, Tyger would best fit in.

Perhaps just before The Slavers arc (There are a few apt connections between the two, but I think I'm just agonising here).

I don't see why a piece of work has to encompass the full range of it's creator to be considered a masterpiece, such a prerequisite would be limiting in of it's self with little merit and arbitrarily applied.

I don't see why a piece of work has to encompass the full range of it's creator to be considered a masterpiece, such a prerequisite would be limiting in of it's self with little merit and arbitrarily applied.

You're right, but I referred to it as the Ennis masterpiece, not as a Ennis masterpiece.

Not to derail into a film converstaion but for example Straw Dogs is my favourite/best film by Peckinpah, but something like Pat Garret and Billy the Kid or The Wild bunch is the best Peckinpah film, his masterpiece.

Thanks everyone for guidance. It looks like Frank and me will have long and steady relationship.

Isn't there a trade that collects the one-shots?

Garth and Dillon are doing a six-issue arc for Punisher:Warzone, that starts next Wednesday on the 10th.I will definetly be picking this up.

Sdaly it feels like a Punisher regression to me.

Valley Forge was a high note, not the highest but still a cracking end.

I'm not really yearning for the return of Ma Gnucci or Steve Dillon for that matter.

Yeah, I'll be picking it up. But I'd rather read MAX-ish type stuff than the silly Marvel Knights stuff.

What did everyone think of 'Widowmaker'?

I liked it, but can't remember details.

And are #61+ worth reading?

It's a 5 issue storyline; I bought the first 2 and quit. Shawn, are you still reading it?

I remember liking it, but the Columbine esque elements and the focus on the wives sort of took away from each other.

I'd rather have had six issues on one or the other.

Especially an incisive MAX Punisher on child soldiers or School shootings.

And are #61+ worth reading?

It's a 5 issue storyline; I bought the first 2 and quit. Shawn, are you still reading it?

Me? Oh yeah, sorry.

I am still reading reading the trades in small burst from time to time. I gave up on the post-Ennis story after reading the "real deal" in trades. It just started to seem less in comparison. Also I have been trying to trim my comic spending a bit. It's not bad a bad story as such with Frank killing a bunch of Mexican drug runners that mutilate little girls, it's just hard to stand up to Ennis. The art is good though.

Hmmmmm...I might have to check this out. Is that the Kingpin? I do like Steve Dillon's art. Just now going through Punisher vs Bull'sEye and his art really makes it work.