Sign in to follow this  
Christian

1990s Gimmick Covers

Let's return to the bad-old days of the 1990s for a look at some of the worst gimmick covers.

I actually was fond of the cover for Amazing Spider Man #400, which they ranked as #1 on the list.

Conspicuous by its absence was Force Works #1, which would rank as an easy #1 for my list. I remember buying it, as it was written by Abnett and Lanning. It had some sort of fold-out poster for a cover. It looked like the cover was ripped up and mangled. I remember asking the store owner, "Is this cover severely damaged?".

I don't mind some of the gimmick covers, although they were seriously overdone. I'm just glad comics have moved away from such due to the increased prices. Comics are already outrageously overpriced enough without adding another buck or two to pay for some crappy attempt at a hologram.

I knew a woman who used to cut off these covers and decorate the walls of her bedroom with them. That was a neat idea.

https://www.cbr.com/strange-90s-comic-covers/

Great link!

The Superman sticker one is ace, when they relaunch Hellblazer under Vertigo they should totally steal that idea.  I do like it when a story arc gets themed covers, like the 'falling John' in the sidebar of the Critical Mass issues.

Yeah, I thought those covers on DD were neat too. The stories were pretty crap at that point, but that story-arc had some nice covers.

Long time ago, I brought some issues off a local's collection... I guess he was really desperate to offload all his bad 90s Marvel and Image books.

As far as gimmicks go, he had the Magneto portion of the X-Men #1 cover as well as Fantastic Four #358 - one of the less notable gimmick covers, it's a simple die-cut.

No Liefield Image books, but he did have Jim Valentino's Who Is Shadowhawk #1 and Shadowhawk II #1. I guess he never bothered to pick up the rest of WiS, or maybe he thought Shadowhawk II #1 was the second issue - he did have Shadowhawk III #1 and not the rest of Shadowhawk II (Shadowhawk III disappointingly was not a very gimmicky cover). The initial hook of this Image series is that the identity of its ultra-violent extreme 90s anti-hero was a secret at first, so part of the cover was foil so you'd see your own face reflected in it.

Also of note from that collection was Wildstar: Sky Zero #1 - an embossed cover, so you can touch and feel the blood on that dude's face!

7 hours ago, Christian said:

Yeah, I thought those covers on DD were neat too. The stories were pretty crap at that point, but that story-arc had some nice covers.

I really liked Fall From Grace.
The first issue (319) was one of the first to not be distributed properly, including UK newsagents, and so was very scarce here.
It was probably one of the first comics I bought off the internet three years later.

You have to be careful with that Eclipso cover.

On the Fantastic Four front, I always thought this cover looked neat (it's in the same vein as the Avengers Vision cover).

It features the Human Torch's flame going white hot.

Fantastic Four (1961 1st Series) 371

I'm surprised the '90s Spectre isn't mentioned there: there were a couple of glow in the dark covers on that one.

Yeah....maybe that series was too good to warrant mention, as they listed a few other glow-in-the-dark covers on the list. Ostrander's Spectre definitely did not "feel" like a '90s comic, the way most of those other books just scream "1990s cool".

• Like 1

There was a Moench/Jones Batman arc guest starring Deadman that had cracking Kelley Jones glow covers. If you look closely at this one you can see that the glow effect reveals Deadman.

Batman_532B.jpg