Sign in to follow this  
GottaGetAGrip

Vertigo - where's the ledge? Has anyone seen the ledge?

http://ew.com/books/2018/03/01/neil-gaiman-sandman-universe-comics/

DC is launching a "Sandman Universe" line of comics - overseen by Neil, but the four books will written by different creative teams.

The books are:

House of Whispers by Nalo Hopkinson

Books of Magic by Kat Howard

The Dreaming by Si Spurrier

Lucifer by Dan Watters

No announced artists yet.

Why isn't DC waiting for their Vertigo renaissance? All of these books should be what Vertigo is launching as their first wave.

Ugh. Lucifer, again?

I'll definitely be reading Si Spurrier's The Dreaming. That sounds mad.

Nalo Hopkinson writing a comic book is interesting. Her prose fiction is very good, so I'll check out the first issue of her book.

Those are the two I have interest.

I thought Vertigo had finally given up on milking the Sandman when it's tits fell off a few years back?

Either the imprint is in big trouble or Gaiman thinks that humouring them and writing a few series bibles (or whatever they call the things) will keep Daniel out of the JLA.

Or both: the two aren't mutually exclusive, I suppose.

• Upvote 1

I'll give the Spurrier a go, as he's a good writer, and this looks a bit different to the original anthology Dreaming or the haute goth whingefest it turned into under Caitlin Kiernan, but nothing much else appeals.

I'm willing to give Nalo Hopkinson's book a chance, as well as the Spurrier, based on Hopkinson's work in prose genre fiction. Of course, it's become quite apparent that writing a compelling science fiction/fantasy novel will not equate to an author having any idea what they're doing writing comics.

The Spurrier should be worth a read though.

• Upvote 1

I'm put off the Hopkinson by the voodoo thing, to be honest. It might work for Marvel and whoever owns Shadowman these days, but the last voodoo-y comic DC did was Dominique Laveau: Voodoo Child, and not even the tip of the hat to Hendrix and Denys Cowan's art could save that one.

Yeah, that was horrible. Hopkinson has done a lot of interesting things with the concept though, like in Brown Girl in the Ring.

Huh. I wonder what a Nalo Hopkinson Brother Voodoo series would have been like, now that you bring up Marvel.

Maybe once she's got some comics work on her resume with this, she can take a shot at that one?

Re-reading the 20/20 Visions 12 issue series by Jamie Delano and a variety of artists who rotate every 3 issues. A little scary how close to home some of his ideas hit. Of course, it's a bleak dystopian future with a country carved up by religious political groups who have staked claim to much of the US. It's interesting how the stories propagate through a family's lineage as each separate arc progresses.

• Upvote 1

Border Town #1-The first release of the new Vertigo, same as the old Vertigo.

Vertigo did a pretty....uhh, adequate....job with Scottish folklore in that Red Thorns comic, so I decided I would check this out, as I love world mythology, and this was going to be playing in the sandbox of Aztec mythology and, well, Mexican culture. Unlike Red Thorns, of course, this book would also be dealing with more social themes.

It is not subtle, I'll give it that. At times, it's not bad, with some interesting writing.

At other times, it comes across as very preachy and expository. There's one cringe worthy scene where the main character tells a girl that he's "half Mexican and half Irish", and gets a nice lecture.

The overall plot is that beings from Aztec mythology are retuning to our world in the lands where they used to dwell. The local white (supremacist) population of a small Arizona town blames the troubles on immigrants.

I don't know, like I said, it has potential, but the writer needs to use a bit more subtlety. At times, it almost reads as a farce, which is definitely not what the writer intends. Looking online, I guess this isn't his first comic book work, as I had never heard of him. I was thinking that the faults were probably due to being a novice. At other times, it reads a lot more polished. I probably won't bother with any more issues, but I wouldn't say it was a failure.

It's a very weird way to relaunch the Vertigo line, as there's nothing to really hook readers in to thinking that the Vertigo line is going somewhere other than where it's been for the last few years. Not that any of their new line look like that sort of book, mind.

The double page spread of "new" Vertigo does not inspire me at all.

Two Messiahs, Three What If Vertigo Golden Age happened IN THE FUTURE (supernatural dimensions,  witches, AI Goddesses - didn't we have all these already?), white supremacy and prostitutes. 

"-Magic"

I like Dreaming and House of Whispers because at least they are in familiar territory for the imprint that won't die(t).