Sign in to follow this  
Volke344

The tattoo

Hey im just getting into the books and really liking them. I saw his back tattoos and was wondering what it all means or the names of them. Kinda want to get some of them. Looks really nice. If anyone could help out that would be awesome.

I believe you are talking about Hellblazer #181, written by Mike Carey. They weren't really tattoos. They were just used as part of a ritual. They are referred to as magical sigils. One place to come across authentic magical sigils is from the Goetia, where the sigils are symbolic of different demons. The ones on John's back look to be symbolic of angels more than ones taken from the Lemegeton, however. Those would be taken from Enochian magical sigils.

There's a nice article on ultraculture here about somebody who has backpiece based on Constantine's, and which suggests sources drawn from John Dee as well as the sources Christian suggests. A lot of occultists, for some reason, take a dim view of the Enochian stuff and tend to ignore it, but there's a lot of very striking sigils in there.

Probably because it takes a lot of work to read through all of the mess that is the Enochian system of magic. It was a headache when I was working with the system. They make it a lot more complicated than the Goetia, which is really quite simple to master.

The reason is most likely due to the fact that the Enochian system is still based in the original 16th-century writings of John Dee and Kelley, whereas the Goetia was revised and translated by MacGregor Mathers.

Not about namedropping or erudition, Christian: the poster asked a question. The fact that you answered it by dropping a couple of irrelevant names that you prefer to the one that was relevant isn't very helpful. They're looking for a decent design for a tattoo not a pointless argument about the relative merits of magical systems, dig?

12 hours ago, dogpoet said:

Not about namedropping or erudition, Christian: the poster asked a question. The fact that you answered it by dropping a couple of irrelevant names that you prefer to the one that was relevant isn't very helpful. They're looking for a decent design for a tattoo not a pointless argument about the relative merits of magical systems, dig?

I'm not sure what your point is, as I answered the initial query. I pointed out that the sigils on John's back were related to Enochian magical sigils, symbolic of the angelic. I also pointed him to the Goetia for further references of sigil magic.

My response was to your comment about "occultists taking a dim view of Enochian magic and tend to ignore it", which also had absolutely nil to do with the initial query. He doesn't care if it was the most obscure magical operating system ever devised, or how many occultists love a certain magical system. Your response was just as irrelevant. Since your comment was breaking away from the topic, I decided to respond to your tangential aside.

I'm not sure how it's considered "namedropping" to reference Dee and Kelley, since you yourself mentioned John Dee.

13 hours ago, Volke344 said:

So i just have to look in  the Lemegeton for the designs and the words?

Sorry. I missed your second question.

Here is a link to the Goetia, which contains a list of the 72 demons, or spirits. Each name takes you to page including their seal.

https://www.deliriumsrealm.com/goetia-demons/

Here is a link to other sections with sigils taken from the Lemegeton:

http://esotericarchives.com/solomon/lemegeton.htm

Here is a link to the Enochian alphabet, transcribed by John Dee:

http://www.omniglot.com/conscripts/enochian.htm