Sign in to follow this  
Christian

Norm Breyfogle

Comic artist Norm Breyfogle died on September 24th. That came as a huge shock to me, as he wasn't very old.

Breyfogle will always be immortalized, in my eyes, as the artist with Alan Grant on his (to my view) definitive take on Batman.

If you haven't read that 1980s Detective Comics and Batman run, and you love Batman or just comics in general, then you need to hunt down that period of Bat-history now. Amazing work.

Plus, he did artwork on another of Grant's best comic book work, the Anarky mini-series. Breyfogle was the artist who drew Grant's story originally introducing the character. Another absolute must read.

Here is J.M. DeMatteis' post on Breyfogle (where I discovered the news):

http://www.jmdematteis.com/2018/09/remembering-breyfogle.html

I heard this too. Sad, he was tremendously talented. Thanks for that link.

" I had the pleasure of working with Norm on The Spectre " Oh really? I need to find that

Yeah! It's really good, but it's very philosophical. It's not like the Ostrander Spectre.

It was during a period where Hal Jordan (of dull Green Lantern fame! he he) was filling the role of the Spectre.....because DC cross-overs.

DeMatteis was writing the Spectre series, doing justice to the concept of Jordan as the Spectre. Instead of the "judgment of the Voice of God", as the original Spectre, he became a spirit of forgiveness and redemption. This was after Hal Jordan went insane and killed a lot of people and had to die....because DC cross-overs. So, this was about Jordan's chance to make amends for his damned soul.

It was a very good series, like what you would expect from New Age J.M. DeMatteis. Just don't expect it to be like the Ostrander Spectre.

Nothing is as good as Ostrander's Spectre, as far as that character goes, but I absolutely love the DeMatteis version too. Just imagine it's a wholly different character, and not the DC Comics character you know from earlier comics.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Christian said:

Ahhhhhh yes, I do recall that. I thought Ryan Sook was the artist? Or maybe he just did the covers?

12 minutes ago, Christian said:

Nothing is as good as Ostrander's Spectre, as far as that character goes, but I absolutely love the DeMatteis version too. Just imagine it's a wholly different character, and not the DC Comics character you know from earlier comics.

So SO happy that they collected that run!

I didn't remember Breyfogle as the artist on the Spectre series either, but Sook was the original artist, and Breyfogle did take over towards the end.

A rotten shame. 58 is no age to go.

That sure was a classic period for Batman / Detective Comics. Before Batman became all about punching people.

• Upvote 4