Sign in to follow this  
dogpoet

Carlos Ezquerra

I'm sure it will merit a mention in the different comic news outlets. It'll probably gain the same attention as most of the recent deaths from the comic book world, like poor Gary Friedrich, at the very least.

Judge Dredd was a pretty popular character over here too. Dredd had a crappy movie, and there were the Batman/Dredd team-ups., and a number of reprints of the British stories.

Plus, he also did artwork with Garth Ennis on a few projects, and Ennis is a pretty big name.

I don't think Strontium Dog is as well know over here, sadly. I really enjoyed those 1980s Alan Grant stories. I think that series and Nemesis were my two favourite on-going series from 2000 AD.

On 10/8/2018 at 12:47 PM, Christian said:

Plus, he also did artwork with Garth Ennis on a few projects, and Ennis is a pretty big name.

That's how I came to know his work.

Wasn't he just?

I think he did a lot of work for Battle in the the late '70s because they raised his page rate to stop him going off to 2000AD.

Lou, those Rifle Brigade comics he did with Ennis are send ups of the stuff John's on about.

• Like 1

GAWD DAMMIT!

forgot about those hahaha

edit - I think my first exposure was the Bloody Mary minis they did for Helix (Vertigo). Dredd was not as easy to get over here as it is now, or maybe I didn't look hard enough.

My bad, Lou: that one was Ennis doing 2000AD, not sending up Battle. Same sort of deal as with Just A Pilgrim. Those Rifle Brigade comics are still entertaining if you've not read the stories he's taking the piss out of then?

He did the Saint of Killers mini for Preacher as well, didn't he?

I think DC were more interested in pushing their own Dredd series that tied in with the (rather shoddy) Stallone film than they were in reprinting the stuff during the '90s. Never understood that one. Okay, at the time the Dredd strip in 2000AD was being run into the ground by that wanker Mark Millar because John Wagner had finally walked over the way he was getting stiffed on royalties, but they could have ignored that drivel and reprinted the older stories instead.

1 hour ago, Lou K said:

GAWD DAMMIT!

forgot about those hahaha

edit - I think my first exposure was the Bloody Mary minis they did for Helix (Vertigo). Dredd was not as easy to get over here as it is now, or maybe I didn't look hard enough.

You had to hunt down the Quality Comics reprints from the 1980s to get good Judge Dredd over here. It took me a while to find out about the Quality Comics books. They weren't something that everyone just knew existed. The Quality Comics were pretty easy to find and not a lot of money though, once you knew for what to look.

35 minutes ago, dogpoet said:

Those Rifle Brigade comics are still entertaining if you've not read the stories he's taking the piss out of then?

They are, but maybe less so (clearly I wouldn't know having not read the source material). After a wile they become just another Garth Ennis dick and fart and homo jokes extravaganza, which is probably why I no longer have them in my collection.

Got you.

I do wonder if the old guy dying might lead to a few more of the war stories getting collected. I think there's one collection each of Major Eazy and Rat Pack and one of the whole of El Mestizo which (if I'm honest) wouldn't really be the Ezquerra strip I'd pick to immortalise in hardcover myself...

1 hour ago, dogpoet said:

He did the Saint of Killers mini for Preacher as well, didn't he?

Had to check, Steve Pugh

I thought it was split? Pugh did the real world western bits and the framing narrative, and Esquerra did the scenes in Hell.

I'd check myself, but I have the same issues laying hand on the issues to check, Lou.

(ETA: I think he did the Jodie and TC one shot as well.)