Sign in to follow this  
Dabbler

Dumping scene - Hellblazer

Hi,

I've just had a random memory - I think it's a scene from the Hellblazer comics.

Constantine is out on a date with some girl. She asks him to call her, and he agrees to her face, but then in an aside to himself confirms he won't.

Can anyone remember which issue this scene is from?

Thanks,

Dabbler

It wasn't a date, but is this the thing from the start of The Fear Machine with him sneaking out of the hotel before the member of staff he went to bed with the night before wakes up? There's a caption box along the lines of: "Nice girl, but there's no future in it, is there?"

I don't think that's quite the scene I was thinking of - the girl was definitely awake, and expecting him to call.  Thanks for trying though.

You're sure it was a girl? The dog in that Azzarrello story might have been expecting a call as well...

?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I shouldn't joke like that, but I'm completely stumped on this. The scenes with him walking out on somebody that spring to mind were all women he was involved with, rather than him deciding not to take stuff further after getting lucky on a date. I know he does that with Dani in Jenkins' run and Zed in Delano's. Was there something in Milligan between him getting Phoebe killed and mooning about over ShellyEpiphany?

The only other thing I can think of that might fit is the wiccan/female healer archetype he meets after getting thrown out of Ravenscar in the framing story in the Delano annual, and I think that was portrayed as a no strings one off rather than a first date. Are you sure that this was something from Hellblazer rather than one of the post cancellation reboot series?

Hi, thanks again for trying this. I'm sorry don't have enough knowledge of the series to say if it was in the reboot (my reading of comics is generally quite haphazard). Will definitely write back if I track down the reference. Thanks again.

You're welcome, I just wish I could have suggested something more useful. Good luck finding it.

On 10/18/2018 at 7:30 AM, dogpoet said:

You're sure it was a girl? The dog in that Azzarrello story might have been expecting a call as well...

?

Sadly, it's a dog-eat-John world out there.

Hi Ixnay by Night - have checked issue 232, from Diggle's run. Don't think this is it. It was definitely a scene outside somewhere. I think he puts the girl in a cab or something to that effect, promises to call her back, and then there's an aside where he says to himself he won't.

Is there a scene of him trying to put whatsername in Haunted out of harm's way before she gets involved with Josh Wright?