Sign in to follow this  
Christian

Black Hammer and the worlds of Jeff Lemire

Black Hammer #1-This was really good. It's very well written (as you'd expect from Lemire). It's a type of comic book that you don't see a lot of anymore, but I mean that in a positive way. It's the story of a group of superheroes from a Silver Age universe who ended up stuck in our mundane world.

I only made it part way through and its excellent so far. Almos didn't grab it. Glad I did.

Although i haven't read it yet, i bought it because they didn't ship BPRD and i had a few extra dollars. So now im looking more forward to it.

Oh yeah, sorry about the confusion, Diamond shorted them a box or something.

I did not see a Dark Horse thread but hot damn, is anyone else still reading Black Hammer? This is the one book I look forward to the most each month, and the first one I crack open each Wednesday.

Black Hammer's ace. I will be torn on which cover to choose though.

Unlike Hellblazer, that Tula Lotay cover is worth buying even if I don't bother reading The Tale of the Floating Trainer.

Just Underwinter to add to my list for whenever I get to a comic shop next.

I wouldn't rank it that highly, myself, even though it is near the top. It's not even the best Lemire comic of 2017! That would be Old Man Logan, of course....No, that would be Royal City.

I wouldn't rank it that highly, myself, even though it is near the top. It's not even the best Lemire comic of 2017! That would be Old Man Logan, of course....No, that would be Royal City.

Not read Roughneck then?

Or maybe expensive hardback graphic novels don't count.

Either way, it's beautiful.

I might just have to shade Black Hammer over Royal City, just because you refuse to vote in the Worst of Hellblazer-Constantine poll.

Man, Jeff Lemire is quite simply amazing. I believe he had four comics come out this week, and he has a new book coming out from Image next week too. Beyond the quantity, though, is the fact that they're all excellent reads. Lemire has written top-quality comic books in the past, but this year may mark a career pinnacle for Lemire. I can't see him keeping going at this level for too long, because that would be simply impossible....wouldn't it?

Starting out with his contribution to DC Comics (and his lesser work based on the quality of all his other current comics), Terrifics #1-I wouldn't exactly say the comic was "terrific", but it was well worth a read, and could easily move in to stronger territory with coming issues. The first issue was strong enough to keep me reading.

The Tom Strong debut was handled well, and wasn't jarring. I could see this series fitting in with the Tom Strong comic book.

Moving on to Doctor Star #1....which I realize is a Dark Horse comic (spinning off his Black Hammer book)....but, you'll see why it fits well with a DC thread. Lemire is lovingly writing a pastiche of the stellar work (see what I did there?) that James Robinson did with the Golden Age Starman. Even the character of Doctor Solar's civilian identity is "Dr. James Robinson".

Lemire is writing a Golden Age story set in his Black Hammer universe which  easily fits in with Robinson's Starman.

• Like 1

I was thinking, reading your first paragraph, how it reminds me of the Golden Age (lol) of Kurt Busiek, whose Astro City took on some of his ideas that didn't fit at the big two and has become a much better thing. Obviously Lemire had to do a bit more work before he could get to Black Hammer, but you're right that it fits nicely here.

I can't remember the last time my top 5 comics did not include work by Lemire.

Think I'll pop into the comic shop when I venture to Snowbound Harrow later to purchase cold alleviating medicines (which I cannot mention by name as it's also a Marvel character) 

10 hours ago, Christian said:

Man, Jeff Lemire is quite simply amazing. I believe he had four comics come out this week, and he has a new book coming out from Image next week too.

What am I missing? We have Terrifics, Royal City, Dr Starr...and Gideon Falls next week, right? Am I missing a title?

Yeah, he is on a tear. I'll have to go back and finish Trillium. I wanted to get all the issues so I can read it all at once but the first couple issues were good reads.

I thought it was pretty cool in Royal City that Patrick's wife was cast in what looked to be Trillium the movie.

Just caught up on Royal City. What a great series. Love the style of it. What do you even call this? Drama? Slice of slightly off kilter life? The last page of issue 10 is pretty heavy.

Looking forward to Gideon Falls.

Gideon Falls #1-This first issue didn't do much for me. The book was described with comparisons to "Lovecraft and Twin Peaks", and I'm not seeing that, so far. It reminds me of a lot of pretty typical horror fiction from the 1990s (not the bad stuff). It could improve, and I'll give it another chance, but for a first issue, nothing grabbed me. 

Same. It wasn't a bad comic. Liked the art enough. But it just didn't grab me right away. But I'll give it a shot.

So the latest issues of Black Hammer, it looks like Lemire is taking us thru this worlds version of the Vertigo universe. Our new Black Hammer has to deal with a John Constantine pastiche, it goes as well for her as you would expect. Next week it looks like he's dipping his toe into very familar Vertigo waters, so it will be fun to see what's up with that.

• Like 1

Let's see. This is just the second issue o the second volume.

Vol1 is 13 issues and an annual

Sherlock Frankenstien four issue series (this is traded I believe)

Dr. Starr four issue series (third issue just came out)

And now Age of Doom is just on it's second issue.

I highly recommend this title. Can't get enough of it

• Upvote 1