Sign in to follow this  
Christian

Black Hammer and the worlds of Jeff Lemire

Lemire also has an upcoming mini-series set in the far future of the Black Hammer universe. It will be titled The Quantum Age.

3 hours ago, Lou K said:

Let's see. This is just the second issue o the second volume.

Vol1 is 13 issues and an annual

Sherlock Frankenstien four issue series (this is traded I believe)

Dr. Starr four issue series (third issue just came out)

And now Age of Doom is just on it's second issue.

I highly recommend this title. Can't get enough of it

Thanks!  I'm definitely going to check this series out!

Yeah, that was an excellent mini. The world of Black Hammer might be my favorite thing going right now. 

• Like 1

Based on your guys recommendations I've been burning my way through Black Hammer, and hell yes it's a great comic.  At the back end of the first volume now, will definitely keep reading!

Edit: Still reading through Black Hammer on Comixology instead of working and just finished Doctor Star.  I'm such a huge fan of James Robinson's Starman, I can't believe I didn't know this comic existed until now.  Lou, you're right, I had tears in my eyes reading that final issue.

Edited by Ixnay by Night
  • Like 3

Ha! A brief cameo in the newest issue of Black Hammer shows that another Lemire character exists in the Black Hammer multiverse.

• Upvote 1

On 6/20/2018 at 7:19 PM, Christian said:

Ha! A brief cameo in the newest issue of Black Hammer shows that another Lemire character exists in the Black Hammer multiverse.

I had to look that one up, not sure who that lil fella was.

Really? It was a Vertigo comic, and one of the series by Lemire that caught the masses' attention. I wasn't that enamoured of that book, myself. It had a great ending though.

Essex County (before) and Trillium (after) were much better, as far as early Lemire.

Read the first issue of The Quantum Age and it didn't grab me the way all the other Black Hammer stuff did, which I devoured as quickly as humanly possible.  Maybe it's because I'm not much of a fan of the comics its paying homage to, here's hoping it picks up for me in the next issue.

I was able to score the complete Essex County. Cracked the first chapter, very interested in this. I really dig LeMire's work.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Lou K said:

I was able to score the complete Essex County. Cracked the first chapter, very interested in this. I really dig LeMire's work.

It's immensely good.
What a writer, and what an artist.

• Like 1

Sweet Tooth.

Underwater Welder

ROUGHNECK

Anything that has no connection to DC superheroes. Not that I am discounting them all just his creator owned stuff is beautiful.

• Like 1

I wasn't as much of a fan of Sweet Tooth. I liked the ending.

I haven't read Underwater Welder or Roughneck yet.

Yes, avoid his DCU work, and the majority of his Marvel work. He doesn't do a very good job with company properties.

I'd start with Royal City and Essex County, then move on to Black Hammer, and then to Trillium.

He also illustrated this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secret_Path

I haven't read it yet, but my girlfriend (who lives in Essex County, by the way) talks about it very positively.

• Like 1

I did like Jeff Lemire's New 52 Animal Man run (though I have not reread it so may not hold up) and his Green Arrow (though maybe for GA I was just blinded by Andrea Sorrentino's pretty art) but yeah avoid anything Lemire did with DC that involved a team book along with that Future's End mess that he was one of the four co-writers of.

• Upvote 1

It's true, his Animal Man wasn't bad, but I wouldn't consider it a must read either. It would be towards the bottom of his "worth reading" output, but above his "avoid" output.

I didn't bother with Green Arrow.

His one Marvel book that was worth reading was his run on Moon Knight. It was the best work on the character since Doug Moench back in the 1980s. In fact, if you want to read Moon Knight comics, Moench and Lemire are the only two writers I would say you should ever read.

Essex county Book 2: Ghost Stories. Just amazing story telling, especially the way he ties into the first book. I know this came out some time ago, but this might be the best thing I'll read in 2018.

Yeah, it probably will be, I have little doubt! The crazy thing is that this was the first comic book of any note which Lemire wrote. This predates all of the other good stuff which Lemire would go on to write, so he was starting out at that high-level of quality. Royal City might end up topping Essex County in the end, but Essex County is always going to be very high on Lemire's list of best work, and probably still tops that list, even with so many other excellent projects to his name now.

• Like 1

On 7/27/2018 at 12:35 PM, Christian said:

Royal City might end up topping Essex County in the end,

Man, I am not so sure. Finished it this weekend great stuff. I could not put it down.