Sign in to follow this  
Christian

Black Hammer and the worlds of Jeff Lemire

Did you notice that almost every comic Jeff Lemire is writing comes out on the same week? It seems like this happens regularly too, not just a happenstance of this week.

Black Hammer (Dark Horse), Terrifics (DC), Royal City (Image), Sentry (Marvel)....all coming out in the same week.

Gideon Falls was last week though. Quantum Age was the week before that.

Also, Lemire writes a lot of comic books each month.

I'll be buying two of those comics on that list for this week by Lemire. The same two Lou will be buying, not the terribly disappointing Terrifics or the "decent but Marvel has pissed me off, so I'm cutting down on my comic reading" Sentry.

I'll also be buying Days of Hate, from Image but not from Lemire.

And....Beasts of Burden: Wise Dogs and Eldritch Men #1 should be well worth reading.

• Like 1

Royal City #14-I can't believe it's over already. I didn't expect that. I didn't see that Lemire was setting up the ending already. I was hoping he would keep this book going for years. It was easily my favourite current Lemire comic. I will miss it. Overall, I give this series an A+. Everyone who loves a well-told story should pick this series up.

• Like 1

I have not picked it up yet, but I knew it was coming to an end only because I read that some place. Kind of hard to believe it is over, because there is so much story there left to tell.

Black Hammer had one of those spit-take "wait, what the fuck just happened" cliffhangers that gets my blood pumping.  Glad to see the mysteries getting some sort of resolution, even if all they do is lead into even MORE mysteries.  

• Upvote 1

Lou, you'll be interested to know that I read that Lemire has a Cthu-Lou one-shot coming up in December.

It's the story of Cthu-Lou's daughter, Cthu-Louise, being a high school student.

• Like 1

Finally caught up on the last few months of Black Hammer material.  It's funny, I was so unimpressed with the first two issues of Quantum Age, since I've never cared a bit about the Legion of Super-Heroes, but those cliffhanger endings for issues 3 and 4 have sucked me right into the story.  Age of Doom, however, totally lost my attention with the 2-part Colonel Weird story.  Even though it had some cute ideas (Inspector Insector!), the art work and "creator" nonsense killed it for me.  Looking forward to Cthu-Louise, though!

I though Jeff Lemire deserved his own thread.
I might do the same for other writers of note, since the Old Ones just ain't up to much.

Oh, and some of Christian's nice reviews of books get lost in the generic threads.

http://www.multiversitycomics.com/news/black-hammer-45/

Oh that's nice. I missed the film deal stuff, but actually, I could think of many more Lemire books I'd rather see on the screen before Black Hammer.

Not at all a criticism of Black Hammer, as Jason T knows, it's the best thing that's ever happened to Lou K.

• Like 2

On 10/15/2008 at 6:20 PM, A. Heathen said:

And I am 3/2 through Jeff Lemire's astoundingly beautiful Essex County trilogy.

The first part is the tale of a kid who meets a slightly backward man in his local village, who turns out to be a former hockey star. The kid spends his whole time dressed as a superhero as a promise to his dying mother. This one is quite gentle, but the second (much longer) part is about two brothers (who turn out to be the father and uncle of the man in part one and also hockey players) from the village. One brother chooses family and home over his hockey stardom, the other ends up as the narrator of their tale, an old man, deaf, possibly dementing and remeniscing on their relationship.

For such a simple art style this packs more emotion than all them films with their minor key sad soundtracks. Beautiful.

http://www.topshelfcomix.com/catalog.php?t...2&title=568

• Like 1

Most people here probably already know about this, but just in case, I thought I'd mention that Lemire's next Black Hammer spin-off will be a World War II-era mini-series fleshing out some elements of the Golden Age of the Black Hammer Universe. The series will be titled Black Hammer '45. The series will begin in March.

https://icv2.com/articles/news/view/42011/black-hammer-fights-nazis-new-miniseries

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Black Hammer/JLA crossover this summer. And was there ever more issues of Chtuluoise?

It was just a one-shot.

Black Hammer and JLA? Really? That seems kind of....odd. Not sure how I feel about that.

Thanks CC. Yeah I am not sure what to make of it either, but I'll give it a try

So I guess that wraps up the main story arc. It's been a great ride. Letter column mentioned a 6 issue stint coming soon so I don;t think we're completely done just yet.