Sign in to follow this  
JasonT

Best comics of 2018

What were the best comics published in 2018?

If it appeared in 2018 or it was cover-dated 2018, that's close enough. And "best" can mean "best of the small cross section I read" or "my favourite".

Here's my list of approximately 5:

Exit Stage Left - The Snagglepuss Chronicles  (surprise!)
2000AD
Kill Or Be Killed
Alfie

What's your list?

I would mention in threads where I discuss the comics, themselves, what I would consider to be one of the top books of 2018, but now it's the end of the year, so I've forgotten much of what I read this year.

Exit Stage Left

Koschei the Deathless

I know those two made my list. Infinite Dark will probably make my list, but it's only been three issues so far, I want to see how it ends.

It's not published in 2018, but in 2018 I read Essex County, so there's that.

I always fuck this up and put shit on my list that came out the previous year. Does there exist someplace a master list of comics published in 2018?

[edit] Koschei the Deathless, yes, thank you CC. Classic Mignola Hellboy here that we have not seen in some time.

3 hours ago, Lou K said:

I always fuck this up and put shit on my list that came out the previous year. Does there exist someplace a master list of comics published in 2018?

http://hellblazer.ipbhost.com/forum/12-comics-archive/

I can't think.

THings that ended this year is easier.

But Grass Kings and Royal City obv

And that Mr Miracle one.

There's about four or five more but I'd have to read this link

http://hellblazer.ipbhost.com/forum/12-comics-archive/

Oh geez....How could I forget Days of Hate?

Mister Miracle would make my list too. I see it was on my "maybe, but too soon to give it a nod" list for last year. It made the cut.

Royal City, even though it ended far too soon. There must be one Lemire book on my list.

That's my top five, I suppose, with one "maybe" to add on for next year, if the level is sustained.

Mister Miracle, the first three issues of the final LOEG, and Green Lantern.

The Lone Ranger would have made my list, but I thought it was a bit hasty since only three issues have been released, and I've only read two of those.

Similarly, Bendis' Superman and Action Comics are just lovely, but I always feel slightly embarrassed nominating superhero funnybooks when there's so much amazing literature out there. (No criticism of you folks intended. Thank you to everyone who responds to these threads.)

Mister Miracle

Did Kill or Be Killed end this year? If so, I'll add that as well.

Some of the mentions here I should hurry up in checking out, like Days of Hate and Lemire's works. (I did read the first arc for Gideon Falls, but I don't know if I enjoyed that one enough to call it one of my 2018 favorites)

I feel it's a bit too early to be placing Green Lantern on the list, though it is shaping up to be a bundle of joyful Morrison lunacy.

Is Green Lantern the one with Liam Sharp art? He's been posting some uncoloured inks and it looks amazing but I'd want it to be this size:

muhammad-ali-superman-article8.jpg

Yep, Morrison and Sharp are on Green Lantern, and it is about the best classic-feeling superhero comic that it is possible to write, at least of the two issues we've seen so far.

Gotta-Yeah, Gideon Falls is decent, but it's not of Lemire's best works. You should check out something else by him. He does better stories.

On 12/16/2018 at 7:41 PM, A. Heathen said:

Is Green Lantern the one with Liam Sharp art? He's been posting some uncoloured inks and it looks amazing but I'd want it to be this size:

muhammad-ali-superman-article8.jpg

No question the art would look better at a bigger size. Maybe they'll collect it in one of those big coffee table "absolute" hardback editions once the series has finished?