Sign in to follow this  
JohnMcMahon

Doom Patrol

Cyborg in general is such a rubbish character, looks like he's been photoshopped into the video's thumbnail.  Doesn't fit with the JLA or Doom Patrol, stick him in with the Titan where he belongs!  His inclusion in various other teams really does highlight the lack of heroes of colour at DC.

There's an

overt Danny The Street

reference in the Doom Patrol episode of Titans.

Given that they've already got Robotman in the team, Cyborg seems a bit pointless to have as a member with somebody else already doing his schtick unless his presence is down to tokenism. That said: wasn't the reformed Doom Patrol introduced in the Titans comic in the late '70s or something? Maybe it's just a reference to that to tick a box for the completists, and he won't be sticking around for long once the team is up and running.

On the other hand, having Crazy Jane as an original member is a nice touch, and having Mr Nobody as the main bad guy definitely looks promising.

On ‎2‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 3:46 AM, JohnMcMahon said:

Cyborg in general is such a rubbish character, looks like he's been photoshopped into the video's thumbnail.  Doesn't fit with the JLA or Doom Patrol, stick him in with the Titan where he belongs!  His inclusion in various other teams really does highlight the lack of heroes of colour at DC.

Yes, unfortunately Black Lightning already has his own show now.

Of course, the obvious is that Doom Patrol already has an African-American member readily available in Joshua Clay.

There was also a female Indian member of the Doom Patrol in the pre-Morrison 1980s incarnation, if they are really looking for diversity.

I don't know....has Cyborg really become a popular enough character in the DC mythos that throwing him on to different teams can increase fan interest?

I'll be honest, I fast forwarded through the dull Dick Grayson parts of the Titans episode and enjoyed the three actual Doom Patrol folks.

Also kind of liked Beast Boy and Goth Gal.

The Chief was inexplicable.

On 2/19/2019 at 8:27 PM, Christian said:

I don't know....has Cyborg really become a popular enough character in the DC mythos that throwing him on to different teams can increase fan interest?

The  animated Titans show from the early 2000s was a huge hit so maybe they're hoping it'll help specifically with a TV audience

I see the chap who plays Crowley on Supernatural will be playing

Grant Morrison's John Constantine stand-in

which is a good piece of casting.

Never read Doom Patrol, but I am liking it. Crazy Jane is my favorite. Swearing sounds awakawrd, though.

You're missing out not reading the Morrison Doom Patrol. It ranks highly on my list of favourite comic book runs, and is still one of my favourite Grant Morrison comic books, alongside of Animal Man, Invisibles, and Nameless (and since Morrison is my favourite comic writer, it puts it near the list of all-time favourite comic books).

It's also one of those rare instances where Morrison writes an ending to a book that holds up strongly with what came before.

In fact, not only that, but both Morrison's Animal Man and Doom Patrol have two of the greatest endings in all of comics.

On 2/23/2019 at 10:14 PM, Vagabond said:

The  animated Titans show from the early 2000s was a huge hit so maybe they're hoping it'll help specifically with a TV audience

Not so much that, but one person credited as a EP had been pushing Cyborg for nearly a decade: Geoff Johns.

Why I single him out? Well, he does have a strong preference for what he considers his era of comics and entertainment (i.e. The Superfriends era 1973-1986) hence why he, along with the 'stasche when devising thr Nee 52 snatched him and abolished his Titans history while in turn screwing over Martian Manhunter out of the founding member role in the JLA.

Another reason for why this show is due to the failure of the Snyder flavored DCEU (though semi salvaged by both Wonder Woman and Aquaman) along with the fact that the Cyborg of the New 52 era isn't of interest; only there because Johns made him 1 of the 3 mother boxes of Apokolips. Plus given how little the character (& actor Ray Fisher) was given plus the two cancelled solo series within the last 4 years, the planned movie signposted for 2020 is pretty much dead and buried. 

But yeah, I got to side with Christian on this. There is Joshua and Tempest but considering who's name has been tied to every DC project since The Green Lantern movie to here, of course "we need our diversity brownie points even though the tide will reverse this corporate hollow trend in the 2020s"

I quite like the way Cyborg has been used. This series has built on the stories very well. I just watched Danny The Street which is an ace episode in so many ways.

Then on the plane I started watching the Beard Hunter episode but noticed the guy sat behind me had a fine facial growth so thought I'd better not.