JohnMcMahon

The Sandman Universe Presents: Hellblazer #1

THE SANDMAN UNIVERSE PRESENTS: HELLBLAZER #1

image.png

• written by SI SPURRIER
  • art by MARCIO TAKARA
  • cover by BILQUIS EVELY
  • variant cover by DECLAN SHALVEY
  • The second year of the Sandman Universe begins with the long-awaited arrival of one of DC’s most iconic characters…John Constantine, Hellblazer!
  • He’s cheated death and damnation more times than he can count, but never like this. Long ago, in the crucible of a magical war waged across countless futures, Constantine was murdered by an all-powerful adversary: a twisted version of Timothy Hunter, bloated with evil.
  • But over the past year strange forces have conspired to restart Tim Hunter’s tale, and somehow—amid sorcery, insanity and secret agendas—this older, wiser, wilier shade of Constantine has been dragged back with it. Unlike young Tim, John remembers every second of a life that went very, very wrong. Now he must ask himself why he, the last person in the world to deserve a second chance, has been given one. Is John Constantine here to put Tim Hunter on the right track and avert a terrible outcome? Or is it because he’s the only person in existence with the guts to do what REALLY must be done? After all, he’s a nasty piece of work, chief…ask anybody.
  • This oversize one-shot sets the stage, and is the perfect jumping-on point, for a new era of Sandman Universe tales beginning in November…and is the official start of the strangest chapter yet in John Constantine’s long life!
  • ONE-SHOT | ON SALE 10.30.19
  • $4.99 US | 40 PAGES
  • FC | MATURE READERS
  • This issue will ship with two covers.

That sounds a bit revamp-y. Nice cover as well...

I think that one was Si Spencer not Si Spurrier?

Just noticed that the variant cover's by Irish boy Declan Shalvey, drew my then-local in an early issue of Injection.  Pub's been knocked down, glad to see he's still going!

So, is it just this one-shot that deals with this Tim Hunter business? Because, that doesn't sound very intriguing. It also sounds more like a mini-series or a tie-in with the Books of Magic series.

Yes, it does sound more like this is a revamp of that "Life During Wartime" book, rather than Hellblazer proper.

It's funny that Si Spencer's name keeps coming up. Did DC editorial manage to confuse Si Spencer with Si Spurrier too?

"Hey, Si? Remember that Tim Hunter alt-universe book you wrote about two decades back? How'd you like to write a new book based on that premise?". "Uh, this is Si Spurrier." "Right. Si. You wrote Life During Wartime. Right?". "Will there be a paycheck? Uh, yeah, I wrote War During Lifetime. I mean, Life During Wartime. Sure."

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Yeah, from the announcement last month it's not clear if the Tim Hunter story will be resolved in that special or if it'll form the basis of the new ongoing.  I'd rather the former but could live with the latter. 

19 hours ago, JohnMcMahon said:

Just noticed that the variant cover's by Irish boy Declan Shalvey, drew my then-local in an early issue of Injection.  Pub's been knocked down, glad to see he's still going!

He probably wasn't in the pub at the time when they knocked it down.

😉

Does sound like an excuse you'd read in a Warren Ellis newsletter though, project delayed due to tragic loss of artist in 'drinking accident'.

• Upvote 1

He won't be drawing the one-shot but the artist on the ongoing proper Aaron Campbell has tweeted out a vid of him finishing up a drawing of Constantine.

If nothing else, at least this will be the most Hellblazer has looked like a Hellblazer book in years.

Aaron's put a number of Constantine sketches up on that twitter feed linked to by Gotta -

image.png

image.png

He runs a RPG podcast too so he's alright in my book!

• Upvote 2

Nice art: definitely a bit more lived-in looking than the post crisis Hellblazer Constantine, never mind the guy in all those tiresome DCU comics, isn't he?

• Upvote 1

He looks a bit like the Cigarette Smoking Man from X-Files....

It's nice artwork though. I just hope DC tones down the colour palette. I mean, if the writing isn't good, it won't matter. The prior DCU HB books weren't helped by always looking like such a bright, cartoonish world though.

It sounds like the events of this issue will be continued in the ongoing Books Of Magic series -

BOOKS OF MAGIC #14

image.png

• written by KAT HOWARD and SI SPURRIER
  • art by TOM FOWLER
  • cover by KAI CARPENTER
  • In the wake of October’s The Sandman Universe Presents: Hellblazer #1, John Constantine is loose in our world again— and unfortunately for Tim Hunter, he’s convinced the only way for the human race to survive is if Tim is taken off the board. But from where Tim’s standing, he’s the only one with the power to save us all. Who’s right? Who’s wrong? And is there room in London for the both of them? The scribes of Books of Magic and John Constantine, Hellblazer square off to tell both sides of the tale in a unique, innovative issue!
  • ON SALE 11.27.19
  • $3.99 US | 32 PAGES
  • FC | DC BLACK LABEL

• Upvote 2

Interesting that it keeps mentioning "John being loose in our world again", which sounds like it's going to explain the ending of Hellblazer #300.

That John has been, most likely, dead since the ending of HB #300.

Which would also put everything following the end of Milligan's Hellblazer as happening on alternate Earths.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Ahead of the incoming relaunch, Spurrier made a blog post about some of his goals for the book:

We’ve worked our grubby socks off to simultaneously acknowledge the many reticulations in Constantine’s tangled life/lives, and to find an honest way to restore what my inner 18-year-old still regards as the character’s fundamental quiddity. He is a liar. He is a cheat, a conman, a betrayer, a trickster, a devil in beige. He’s also a tar-stained romantic, believe it or not, and quite possibly the last and best hope for a soul in peril.

He’s Bryon without money or rhythm.

He’s not the hero we wanted, but he might be the bastard we deserve.

[/quote

As almost every writer who takes over JC basically says the same thing...."We want to take John back to his core roots. This is what I find to be the core motivations for John. etc.", and then we got what we've gotten for over a decade now....I can't say I give a lot of credence to writers saying this exact same song and dance.

Yes, I want to believe Spurrier, because I like him as a writer, but I've wanted to believe other writers too.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/john-constantine-returns-comic-book-roots-sandman-universe-presents-hellblazer-1245392

A preview of the comic with words, from the Hollywood Reporter of all sources.

Hoping the ongoing proper is not as tied into the larger Sandman Universe narrative as this one-shot appears to be. Aside from good impressions of the art, I didn't feel too much about this preview after my first read through.