Sign in to follow this  
JohnMcMahon

The Sandman Universe Presents: Hellblazer #1

Your marks out of 10 for The Sandman Universe Presents Hellblazer #1, please...  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Your marks out of 10 for The Sandman Universe Presents Hellblazer #1, please...

image.png

Me too!

Liked the Chas bit but everything else was all too...grand for my tastes.  Probably going to knock into the local comic shop for the first time in yonks and pick it up though.

That page with Chaz and the pig's head in GGAG's link to a review is probably enough to justify the whole thing by itself...

Kinda cool and sad that the one shot acknowledges Tefé by reference for the first time in nearly 15 years after Swampy's 4th vol (2004-05). Then again, considering The Mustache and Milligan, we should be grateful she's been in limbo for this long.

Re: Art- anyone noticed a slight nod to Sean Murphy a bit with the zipper patterns on the coat sleeves?

He's hit the back of the net!

"Tell the truth or I'll exorcise your bollocks off"

9 for what is a better bridging episode than BoM 13 suggested, but I expect this runs into 14.

An now we know what Gemma's bullet did (or we have a v.big hint)

• Upvote 1

Wasn't feeling it till the below had me dropping my knickers and grabbing my ankles like the slag I am.  So yeah, good stuff once they got the deck clearing out of the way.

image.png

<

I am pleasantly surprised. This was quite good. I could have done without all the Books of Magic continuity, but I knew that was what this reintroduction was going to be based around, so fair enough.

Outside of that, this was the first time that John Constantine has read like John Constantine in a long time, maybe Milligan's "The Scab" two-parter.

I'd say that Spurrier definitely has the Vertigo John done well, and it seems like DC is actually interested in letting Hellblazer be Hellblazer again after all these years. If Spurrier keeps this up and has some interesting plots for John going forward, this is absolutely going to be a Hellblazer comic book worth reading again.

The plot that Spurrier was setting up for future stories was of interest to me. I look forward to seeing where Spurrier is going with it.

I am cautiously optimistic, because I've been burnt many times before, but none of the reboots started off as strongly as this issue from Spurrier, which is hampered by the Books of Magic tie-in remit besides. So, I'm going to keep picking up this Hellblazer relaunch.

I'll give this a 7. Story-wise, it didn't do a lot for me, because I don't care about the Books of Magic anymore. Writing wise, it's quite good and shows a lot of promise. So, I'm rating it more for what it seems that this could be, rather than this issue in and of itself. With a better plot, one not so steeped in Tim Hunter lore, this could've been an easy 9.

EDIT:Wow. I just figured out that Hellblazer, proper, ended over six years ago. My, how time flies.

• Like 2

Yup, he's back...and after a decade (yes 6 but Im pretending Pandimoniun and City of Demons was the last we saw of the our boy while everything else was a crap). I am relieved to know things are up to speed. Love the multiverse splash (took 12 years but we did get a Keanu cameo*) As for our favorite cabbie...

It was a matter of time. Plus his fate is sadly ironic seeing how John had lung cancer and Cgas was devestated. Now the roles got reversed but eith 2nd hand smoke. Re: the fam- I'm judt going take a shot in the dark and say the Vampire thing with Renee had to have happened during the interim or was Spurrier tryibg to reference how Nergal's mojo in Chas and that domestic beatdown. That plus I was on the money about real tine with Geraldine and Tricia (41 and 25 respectively.

As for the Tim thing, Im convinced someone or something is playing havoc with reality to have John see this "Future!Tim" or someone created him. I'll get BOM #14 to see how that plays out. But for now, Welcome back you mad punk git. May you live a billion years, pints, and packs!

*I still want Diggle's original #238 to see the light of day just like we finally got Shoot

3 hours ago, Demon Chas08 said:

took 12 years but we did get a Keanu cameoIt was a matter of time. Plus his fate is sadly

Show him the Just1Page, Ade!

• Upvote 1

On 10/30/2019 at 2:26 PM, JohnMcMahon said:

Hide contents

Old Soulless John is Vertigo Constantine, right ?

Yup.

Now we need to know where and the current state of Gemma

The Books of Magic stuff was the least interesting part for me, though things started perking up once Constantine began talking to himself and found himself in our crazy modern world. Of all the Hellblazer relaunches since the original series ended, Spurrier might be our very first writer who's both gotten old Conjob's voice down and created an interesting narrative to insert him into to boot.

And if the plot threads he's weaving manage to take Hellblazer 300 and everything John got up to when reintegrated into the mainstream DCU and redeem them, Spurrier ought to get a medal or something.

A very promising curtain raiser.

Shame we're stuck with the boy wizard PotterHunter but given the Gaiman emphasis in the line that's not going to be negotiable. At least the presence of Tim will stop future writers from writing John as though he ceased all intellectual and emotional development in his early teens, so it might turn out to be a good thing.

• Upvote 1

I don't think the Tim Hunter stuff is lasting beyond this "special". It's a tie-in with the Books of Magic series. I think it's getting tied off with that comic, and then the ongoing series is going to move in its own direction.

2 hours ago, dogpoet said:

A very promising curtain raiser.

Shame we're stuck with the boy wizard PotterHunter but given the Gaiman emphasis in the line that's not going to be negotiable. At least the presence of Tim will stop future writers from writing John as though he ceased all intellectual and emotional development in his early teens, so it might turn out to be a good thing.

I could've sworn Carey gave us an older Tim unless that was all Frusin's doing when it came to the Staring at the Wall cameo appearance

I'm pretty sure that Tim Hunter did grow up as the series progressed. There was a Tim Hunter series by Dylan Horrocks that featured Hunter in university. That series was quite a while ago too, so you'd have to figure Hunter would be somewhere in his late-20s, if not even older.

Looking online, the last Vertigo Tim Hunter series was from 2002.

Plus, there'd have to be some sort of weird time dilation effect going on if John ages in real time, while Tim Hunter stays perpetually a youth, if they exist in the same universe.

4 hours ago, Christian said:

I'm pretty sure that Tim Hunter did grow up as the series progressed. There was a Tim Hunter series by Dylan Horrocks that featured Hunter in university. That series was quite a while ago too, so you'd have to figure Hunter would be somewhere in his late-20s, if not even older.

Looking online, the last Vertigo Tim Hunter series was from 2002.

Plus, there'd have to be some sort of weird time dilation effect going on if John ages in real time, while Tim Hunter stays perpetually a youth, if they exist in the same universe.

Exactly. If anything Tim should be in his late 30s, early 40s right now

Like Gemma and Mercury are, you mean?

😉

• Like 1

What age was Gemma supposed to be when Vertigo Hellblazer ended though? I know Milligan wrote her as an immature psychotic, but let's just ignore that.

59 minutes ago, Christian said:

What age was Gemma supposed to be when Vertigo Hellblazer ended though? I know Milligan wrote her as an immature psychotic, but let's just ignore that.

41 at this stage but 34 by the time of #300. Chas' daughter too since both were more than likely born in '78 though by some months apart. Geraldine was in her mid teens when we first met her, Renee, and a then newly born Tricia in #84. By the time of Carey and Mina she was 25-29. 30th birthday occurred during the first haf of Diggle's equally short run. Far as realtime kids go, Tefe should be my age (30!)

Milligan, however, thought he had her pegges for early 20s but that can be his own blatant ignorance to try to crowbar in the out of thin air older sibling*

*Having thought this now Finn had to be born around the time John left Liverpool and prior to Cheryl ever meeting Tony meaning Finn is probably close to 50 or 4 years away from it....  Goddamn you, Milligan. Karen and Shelly should've came down hard on you had DiDio not had his boots on their proverbial necks for his vanity DCU reboot.  😑

Gemma's a year or two older than that, I think? She was about to have her sixteenth birthday in #62, so If she turned sixteen in '92 she's turned forty three by now.

21 hours ago, dogpoet said:

Gemma's a year or two older than that, I think? She was about to have her sixteenth birthday in #62, so If she turned sixteen in '92 she's turned forty three by now.

1977... of course

Was 10 when we first met her (and after #3's Yuppie demon episode), 12/13 when Thomas's ghost.... thus she'd be at least 42 right now