John Constantine, Hellblazer #1 (2019)

JOHN CONSTANTINE: HELLBLAZER #1

image.png

• written by SI SPURRIER
  • art by AARON CAMPBELL
  • cover by JOHN PAUL LEON
  • variant cover by CHARLIE ADLARD
  • blank variant cover
  • John Constantine is back in London, back to his old tricks—and just in time, as things have become very dark indeed in his old stomping grounds. A small-time gang lord has found himself dealing with a big-time outbreak of supernatural weirdness...and without any allies to call on and nothing left to call his own, John doesn’t have much choice about taking a paycheck from one of London’s worst, or accepting the help of one of the gang lord’s would-be foot soldiers. But what should be an open-and-shut exorcism turns out to be nothing but...and the author of this madness may just be getting started on their terrible masterpiece!
  • The original Constantine is back in this series from Si Spurrier (The Dreaming) and Aaron Campbell (Infidel), with nothing to his name but decades of bad memories and an unearned second chance. How, exactly, will he squander it? There’s only one way to find out...
  • ON SALE 11.27.19
  • $3.99 US | 32 PAGES
  • FC | DC BLACK LABEL

Aaron and Si continue to tease on Twitter....

image.png

image.png

image.png

• Like 1

Could that first panel be some quality uncle-niece bonding time?

(though it could just as easily be this run's brand-new Hellblazer girlfriend)

(or better yet in grand-standing Hellblazer tradition, another ex-girlfriend of Johnny or figure from his past that he's never reminisced about prior to their first appearance in the comic)

I like the Gemma idea a lot, Milligan kind of did her a little dirty.  

I'm sure the colourist will do a smashing job but I wouldn't be adverse to Aaron's pencils being left in black'n'white.

• Like 1

One nice possibility would be to make this the old boy's last stand, and have Gemma take over as the shit stirring occult Constantine. Of course, the damage Milligan did the character would need fixing first, and if John boy actually looks his age in this then Gemma's got to be at least forty...

• Upvote 1

Yeah, that was a really good series. I second Adrian's recommendation.  A haunted house story for our current times, indeed.

They're even billing him above Harley Quinn...

I like that he's got the smug grin back, and I'm a bit annoyed it's taken a week or so for the penny to drop that's what's even better about this art than the lines on his phizz...