Sign in to follow this  
JohnMcMahon

John Constantine, Hellblazer #1 (2019)

Your marks out of 10 for John Constantine: Hellblazer #1...  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Your marks out of 10 for John Constantine: Hellblazer #1...

This is the stuff, maybe just a tad derivative in places but that's the most minor of quibbles.  

Adored the Nat pages, felt personally called out when she copped John's game cause I could see what he was trying to do and loved it!  

image.png

Campbell and Bellaire's art by the way...crikey..there's the making of an iconic Constantine duo there - hopefully they can manage the pace of a monthly title.

Proper Hellblazer this.

• Like 1

Yeah, I wouldn't say this is breaking any new ground, but it's definitely reading like a continuation of the Vertigo Hellblazer series. Besides, I don't need to see anything completely original to HB after the misfires we saw in the usage of JC for years. A quality, well-written HB that reads like authentic JC is what was needed at this point.

Spurrier is doing such a good job with John's voice.

This is a very well done HB story that reads very strongly with a quality where the Vertigo Hellblazer book hadn't been at for years, even before Milligan started messing things up.

I'd say this probably ranks as the strongest John Constantine characterization and HB plotting since the first half of the Mike Carey run.

I give it a 7.5 really. The story started off strong, it sort of lost me in the middle section, and then picked up again towards the end with some nice social commentary.

It didn't have the Books of Magic baggage to deal with of the Special, but it didn't impress me quite enough to rank a full point higher than the Special, so 7.5.

Ah, yes.... #(30)1 (aka the REAL #251*).

From the voice, the characters, and Campbell's art (a evolution fron his Dynamite Entertainment days earlier in this decade), things didn't skip a .

*Oh, Hi *****. 

Having finally read #1, it does feel like a very safe return to classic Hellblazer form, but after all the mishaps of his three post-Vertigo books (four if you count the New 52 JLD as a Constantine & "Friends" title), a little back to basics might be just what John needs. Spurrier in his two issues has done a great job capturing John's bastard-with-a-conscience attitude without straying too far to either end of the spectrum - John's no hero but he's also not a total ass as some other writers have tended to do him. And Campbell might be the most Hellblazer-esque artist that's drawn Constantine since Manco was on the original Vertigo run. I'm not too invested in the arc's narrative of magic drug dealers vs angels too deeply since it is a tried and true Hellblazer plot, but I definitely do want to see where Spurrier takes John in the foreseeable future.

(in the case that Spurrier makes Nat this run's Hellblazer Girl, would she be Constantine's first Scottish lover?)

• Like 1

Well, it might be hard to say for sure considering Warren Ellis' "One Last Love Song" issue, where John had a bunch of exes we never really knew anything about.

If so, I hope we see a more open relationship, for once. Even if it's just on Nat's part. I think it'd be an interesting change. Someone that John can sleep with, but she doesn't want to get involved with him. I think that type of "strong woman" to juxtapose with John is what HB needs at this point.

• Upvote 1

Very much feels like a return to Vertigo era Constantine which is a solid move after the previous Dc runs that never really caught on.

A pretty solid start, so let's hope Spurrier can keep this up.

(The Books of Magic tie in was a lot less impressive, though...)

On 11/29/2019 at 6:15 PM, GottaGetAGrip said:

(in the case that Spurrier makes Nat this run's Hellblazer Girl, would she be Constantine's first Scottish lover?)

I missed this, but wasn't the hooker with a smack habit in Rake At The Gates Of Hell a Scot?

This is proper, isn't it? First time in an age I have felt like writing here because the last few years have been horribly barren. Loved the artwork, sort of like some Manco cross-bred with Jock, trying to get an attitude you see in Sean Phillips' version. (Something about that cocky look, especially when out of his depth.) Good story, that made me think a bit of Andy Diggle's first few issues, before the work pressures made them look slightly perfunctory.

And it seems Boris Johnson is using dark magic to fuck the open wounds of the proletariat. You saw that here first...

On 11/30/2019 at 1:21 PM, dogpoet said:

I missed this, but wasn't the hooker with a smack habit in Rake At The Gates Of Hell a Scot?

Helen

Yeah, I liked the way that Milligan started out, sort of low-key and rather nasty, but, given that we are dealing with a character with one foot in reality and one in quite bizarre fantasy, it all seemed to get very, very silly. I thought The Devil's Trenchcoat was a low point, although like a lot of Milligan's stories, it seemed to start off with a decent idea that just went quickly down the toilet. (I mean that I liked the idea that his coat could have picked up something on its way through Hell, mine does going through Woolwich! - which is almost, but not quite the same thing...) 

I didn't like what he did to either Angie or to Gemma, it seemed out of character in both cases, although one could understand them both suffering a degree of PTSD, you know, demons wrecking your life can do that.

16 hours ago, Demon Chas08 said:

Helen

Thanks. I do sometimes wonder whether Constantine has trouble keeping track of the names of all these exes of his as well. Small wonder so many of them end up dying nastily...

4 hours ago, londonsurrealist said:

Yeah, I liked the way that Milligan started out, sort of low-key and rather nasty,

Yeah, to be fair Scab was a strong start but the second Epiphany showed up it all fell to pieces for me.

I totally agree, John.

It wasn’t PTSD though, especially with Angie. It went beyond that.

Angie was portrayed as unable to get over John, and ended up turning to food to console herself. It was just plain hateful.

3 hours ago, Christian said:

Angie was portrayed as unable to get over John, and ended up turning to food to console herself. It was just plain hateful.

John makes a snide comment or two about her eating habits too - after he tried to rape Phoebe mind so fairly far down on his list of offences under Milligan!

• Upvote 2

On 12/2/2019 at 2:56 PM, JohnMcMahon said:

John makes a snide comment or two about her eating habits too - after he tried to rape Phoebe mind so fairly far down on his list of offences under Milligan!

Oh god did I forget about that part. One more point of why Milligan's run makes Azzarello's 25 issue Batman audition look more readable (but not by much despite Frusin, Dillon, Camuncoli, and Davis carrying the book)