Sign in to follow this  
dogpoet

Rumours of a Neil Gaiman signature pen...

Apparently there's been some tweets from somebody at Aurora that they're in discussions with Neil Gaiman to produce a signature pen. That'd be quite a coup for Aurora, as Montblanc normally get those, and not just for dead writers like LeCarre, King, Hemmingway and Dickens, but it's a bit of shame he's looking at a very pricey manufacturer indeed rather than something lower range that the people who collect limited editions might be willing to risk devaluing a little by having a go at writing with it.

I...what is this ?  Obviously I have the sum total of human knowledge available to me through the filter of Google but I'd still like to hear from yourself on this 'poet! 

If I recall correctly (which is dubious at best), DP is a collector of fine ink pens. I think Mr. Gaiman is coming up with a signature pen, but it may be pricy. And that is fine and good but unlike some people, DP plans on actually using it, which may decrease the overall value down the road.

Do I get a No Prize?

No, I'm sorry. You must explain why it was not a mistake, not just point out the mistake.

Example: Why is Neil Gaiman's pen costing so much not an error, but actually a justifiable decision. How can the value be maintained, even with heavy usage?

Most explanations will require some variant of time travel or fifth dimensional quantum entanglement in order to qualify for a No Prize. Sorry, pal. Excelsior!

• Like 1

My bad folks: I should have included the link from twitter. The proposed pen may well turn out be vapourware (or even harmless banter involving hyperbole), but Mr Gaiman seems quite enthusiastic at the possibility.

Lou: it'd be nice if I could afford to depreciate a Gaiman signature pen should this happen, but Auroras are a bit out of my spending league, sadly. You're dead right that I saw this mentioned on a website for fountain pen nerds, though. 😉

Most of them are in a cardboard box at the bottom of a wardrobe. I've got a few very nice ones, but most of them aren't really display type things. In fact, the showiest and blingiest looking ones are cheap (literally cheap, not cheap compared to a Mont Blanc or an Aurora or something) Chinese things, and the most expensive ones are minimal looking things, which I use. (Lou's dead right that if I'm spending over the odds for a pen, I'm going to write with it: they're tools not investments.)

To be honest, most of my collection is vintage mid-range models. You can often find a lot of pens like that on ebay, and as a rule they're more likely to be in working order when you get them. On the other hand, I do have a few things that I paid less for than I should have because they'll need restoring or repairing before they're much use as a pen, but most of them I thought they were in working order when I bought them.

4 hours ago, dogpoet said:

(Lou's dead right that if I'm spending over the odds for a pen, I'm going to write with it: they're tools not investments.)

I am the same way with my action figure collection. Upgraded to the big boy imported Japanese stuff. Can get quite expensive. I open them all and "play" with them anyways. Doesn't do you any good just sitting in a box.

Word. I always think there's something horribly depressing about these wargame sets you see where they're selling for an absurd price because the sheets of counters are uncut. Unless they're NOS retrieved from a warehouse unsold, it just means that somebody has completely missed the point of the things, doesn't it?