Sign in to follow this  
JasonT

Best comics of 2019

What were the best comics published in 2019?

If it appeared in 2019 or it was cover-dated 2019, that's close enough. And "best" can mean "best of the small cross section I read" or "my favourite".

Here's my list of approximately 5:

Immortal Hulk
The Lone Ranger
2000AD

Hook Lip's pretty good. Or was that last year?

Immortal Hulk, without a doubt.

I don't know. I might have enjoyed a couple of other comics I read this year. Maybe. I read far less comics this year than I have for the past few years. That can only be a good thing, if only one comic immediately comes to mind as the "best" comic of this year.

I might have included House of X and Powers of X, but the series was left open-ended and continued in to the "Dawn of X" relaunch, and that's been pretty poor so far. I was pretty excited by Hickman's shaking up the X-Men universe for those two minis. I can't recommend them to be read on their own though. Maybe the most controversial and divisive comics of the 2019 though.

I couldn't manage 5 either. I miss the days when lots of new comics were being discussed and recommended here. 

• Upvote 1

OK, I dug through a stack of comics that were of recent vintage. I came up with a few more selections for my list.

La Guardia by Nnedi Okorafor-I'm surprised I forgot about this one, even though it was released at the very beginning of the year, as it was one of the more timely comics published of late.

Hellboy: The Beast of Vargu-I knew that there was a Hellboy comic which deserved mention, but since the Hellboy comics worth remembering this year were all one-shots, I didn't really bother to list one. This was one of the best comics I read in 2019 though, especially the second story. Hellboy ventures in to the folklore of my family's ancestral home.

Also, Grant Morrison's Green Lantern makes the list, although it's not particularly one of my favourite Morrison comics (or so far). There are moments throughout the series which make the book really stand out; at other times, though, it reads as simply a very well-written superhero comic. It could be better, at times it is in that "better" catergory. Overall, I'm not sure that this would make the top five of a better year for quality comics. As it is, it's one of the few bright spots of comic books in 2019, especially for DC Comics.

Also, it has the distinction of being one of the comic series I bought in 2019 that I can actually remembering reading. It probably should have made my initial list just on that criteria alone. In 2019 being remembered is good enough.

No votes for issue 1 of the latest new and improved Hellblazer, then?

It was a pretty good story, but I'd like to see where the Hellblazer series is going before I decide to vote for it. Maybe in 2020, but it's going to have stuff competition from Iron Man 2020, which will surely be the big hit of that year in comics.

Inferior Five doesn't look too bad the couple of issues of it I've seen, and I might as well have the Morrison Green Lantern and Goddess Mode. I'm not sure that the Marvels Epilogue and Lovett and Azzarello's faithless were all that good, but at least that's five comics that weren't an OGN published last year.

Marvels Epilogue brought back some fond memories. The drawback was that it was a twelve page comic that you were charged $5. I don't think any comic story, no matter how good, is worth that price, and Busiek's story wasn't that amazing.

BPRD - Last issue was the best thing i read this year.

I couldn't think of anything else until i took a trip to the comic book store and bought The Weather Men because it had an awesome cover - and it blew me away. Its everything i want from a sci-fi book - big crazy ideas, good characters and some social context. What i read was issue 5 of season 2 - which makes it issue 11 i think - but i'm going to track it all down. The story feels like someone really thought about it for a long time about it and weaved a lot of big ideas - but did not overlook the character stuff and humor. I'm very impressed.

Also Hellboy and the Goloski Station is pretty much a perfect Hellboy story - even if it Did Not Have Werewolves - it was still awesome. The one-shot by Duncan Fegredo also top notch.

I forgot that the final issue of BPRD was published this year. I thought it was from last year.

Yeah, there were three classic Mignola stories this year then. I give the Beast of Vargu the nod over Goloski Station. Both were excellent though.

Here's to waiting out the Christmas special.

I'd have to give the final issue of BPRD the nod for best single comic of the year. House of X #2 is the only single comic I can think of that could come close to competing. However, the other issues of The Devil You Know were a huge letdown. It was just that finale which ranks so highly for 2019.

Yeah - the final issue, that's why i specified 🙂 the rest of The Devil You Know looked great, but it didn't seem that thought out or inspired. It was almost like they needed to hit the bulletpoints to get to the Grand Finale - and then Mignola took over and worked his magic. Also the finale really tied closer to the early Mignola Hellboy stuff more than the recent and it tied beatifully. If you read Wake The Devil, The Conqueror Worm, Seed of Destruction - this finale gives you what you were promised and never thought you would get 🙂

• Upvote 1

I always seem to forget what came out in a specific year and am usually off. So I will go along with Beast of Vargu and Goloski Station as well.