JohnMcMahon

Teenagers From Mars

The collected Teenagers From Mars comes out this week.

Eight issues of pure fucking gold - I can't do it justice in words so I'll probably stick a few scans in here later tonight.

Trust me though, this is a fun book and everyone should have a copy. I will say this - anyone frustrated by the resolution of the Jesse/Tullip relationship in Preacher will love the...um...romantic confrontation between Macon and Madison near the end.

edit : here's a blurb from the website -

Macon is a comic-book artist in the horror-noir style, his comics are his manifesto of the everyman in modern American corperate fascism...

Madison is every parent's nightmare in combat boots and leather jacket, her quick temper gets her in more trouble than her parents can tolerate...

Max is by day a good-natured neighborhood kid who with his two friends Spock and Danny are a fixture in the town streets, but when night falls, the trio engage in less scrupulous activities...

Mayor Wertham is fed up with the alleged satanic practices that seem to be multiplying in his peaceful town, and he plans to do something about it...

And Sandy is always looking for an opportunity to "check out some action"...

Take these individuals, a wanton act of vandalism, hundreds of zombies, several ass-whippings, a hard-boiled detective, throw in some hostile persecution, and a little boy meets girl John Hughes type shit and you got yourself Teenagers from Mars.

The one issue of this I read was fuckin' aces, so I may pick it up.

Nobdy bought this, did they ?

I couldn't resist myself and picked up a copy of the trade Friday evening. Read it Saturday morning and it's as good as I remember - don't tell anyone but I even got just a little bit teary eyed in some places. The Macon/Madison relationship is a thing of beauty and the resolution of their little spat is fucking brill as all get out.

I'll buy it at Bristol, along with one of those Queen and Country trades that John goes on about every time.

Well, we land in barren fields

On the arizona plains

The insemination of little girls

In the middle of wet dreams

We are the angel mutants

The streets for us seduction

Our cause injust and ancient

In this b film born invasion

Teenagers from mars

And we don’t care

Teenagers from mars

And we don’t care

Teenagers from mars

And we don’t care

Well, we’ve seen your 3-d movies

In violent abduction

We blast your mindless structure

Inferior connection

We take your weak resistance

Throw it in your face

We need no introduction

For mass anhiliation

Teenagers from mars

And we don’t care

Teenagers from mars

And we don’t care

Teenagers from mars

And we don’t care

Well, we need no introduction

No visas or carte blanche

Inhuman reproduction

We’re here for what we want

We want, we need it, we’ll take it

We want, we need it, we’ll take it, baby

Teenagers from mars

And we don’t care

Teenagers from mars

And we don’t care

Teenagers from mars

And we don’t care

Teenagers from mars

And we don’t care

Teenagers from mars

And we don’t care

Teenagers from mars

And we don’t care

And we don’t care

And we don’t care, we don’t care

We don’t care, and we don’t care

And we don’t care

Teenagers from mars

And we don’t care

Teenagers from mars

And we don’t care

Teenagers from mars

And we don’t care

Sorry love the Misfits. Tell me more about this comic.

So I guess I'm officially the only person ever to have been bored to tears by this book? I couldn't even make it through to the end of the TPB.... :huh:

What am I missing?

Says the man who doesn't like It's A Wonderful Life...

Naah, I loved Teenagers From Mars, personally. What did you feel was lacking, Selkie? :rolleyes:

I can't point to any one specific thing "wrong", but the whole left me with an overwhelming sense of boredom. I did not care about these people's lives one iota, nor were they at all recognizable as the kind of people I knew (or was) at that age.

John, it's hardly news that I lack a soul! :biggrin: FWIW, I refuse even to watch It's a Wonderful Life. The annual Christmas tradition in this house is finding new and creative ways to avoid catching even a minute of it accidentally.

I can't point to any one specific thing "wrong", but the whole left me with an overwhelming sense of boredom. I did not care about these people's lives one iota, nor were they at all recognizable as the kind of people I knew (or was) at that age.

John, it's hardly news that I lack a soul!  :biggrin: FWIW, I refuse even to watch It's a Wonderful Life. The annual Christmas tradition in this house is finding new and creative ways to avoid catching even a minute of it accidentally.

I wonder what you'd make of Scott Pilgrim.

I think I have some or all of these in the original flimsies. I thought they were fun. 8-)

Selkie, I'm not sure how what you suggest in your final clause above would be possible, because the kids are all (by my recollection) outrageous fantasies. If this title contains what I think it does, it's not meant to be realistic. The ending is especially not "true to life." 8-)

I can understand not caring about characters. That's how I feel about the ones in Ex Machina, despite Vaughan's writing craftsmanship and the ability of the art team. That probably puts me more in the minority than you are with Teenagers from Mars.

I couldn't resist myself and picked up a copy of the trade Friday evening.  Read it Saturday morning and it's as good as I remember - don't tell anyone but I even got just a little bit teary eyed in some places.  The Macon/Madison relationship is a thing of beauty and the resolution of their little spat is fucking brill as all get out.

I'll include it my next amazon order.

Selkie, I'm not sure how what you suggest in your final clause above would be possible, because the kids are all (by my recollection) outrageous fantasies.

Fantasies about loser kids stuck in dead-end jobs who graffiti a store that one was fired from? I suppose.

Have heard many great things about Scott Pilgrim and am hoping my library gets a copy of the TPB. Otherwise, probably won't try it.

Selkie, I'm not sure how what you suggest in your final clause above would be possible, because the kids are all (by my recollection) outrageous fantasies.

Fantasies about loser kids stuck in dead-end jobs who graffiti a store that one was fired from? I suppose.

No. That might have been what happened in the first issue or two, but then the action quickly gets much wilder then that, and less and less like what might happen in most people's lives.

BTW, what exactly do you mean by "loser kids"?

I really enjoyed this trade, but why does the art get SO progressively worse as the series goes on?

I know the creators' apartment burnt to the ground at some point early in the series, and all of their original art from the first few issues was lost in it. Perhaps desperation and a pressing need to raise money would result in artistic shortcuts in later issues?

Yeah, Selkie pretty much nailed it - their stuff got burned up between 7 & 8 (which was double sized) so the last 35 odd pages aren't up to the par of the earlier pages. The singed cover look for the trade is a scan of a burned copy of TFM#1 they pulled from the wreckage.

Ah, gotcha. I didn't know it all had been lost like that...otherwise it just seems odd everything suddenly goes "flat."

actually, the art didn't impress me anywhere in the comic. that said, I did really enjoy the story. I rather want to join the CBLA now! :biggrin: