Sign in to follow this  
Christian

Well, That’s It for now

Bleeding Cool just put up an article announcing that Diamond posted that this will be the final week they ship comics until the crisis is over.

I would paste a link, but I saw the news on the HouseToAstonish web-site just now, and am having trouble copying a link from there.

So, that looks like this is it for comics, for quite a while.

Most of the comic stores are closing for the foreseeable future also.

We’ll see you on the Other Side....

Time to catch up and dig into the past for a while.. 

I've been reading Frank Robbins' Batman from the late 60s that i can find. It's fun stuff, when Batman and Robin were a one-two punch&pun duo. I really enjoy the old color printing patterns. The limited palettes give it a unique comic book identity. Sometimes it's nice to read some colorful nonsense when things are bad.

Saw this story last night and, as ridiculous as it sounds, it really drove home just how serious things are right now. 

I've been keeping a weekly eye on new US comics for...what...like 26 years or so now ?  They're a constant, even though it's been a good long while since I've been buying them from a physical comic's shop.  For them to just stop shipping them feels like a seismic event in an admittedly relatively small industry.

The weekly trip to the comic shop is such a ritualistic affair that I'd worry what impact having it forcibly broken will have on on an already struggling industry.

I guess the question now is, will they continue to become available on digital platforms ?  And if they do, how many will (1) try those storefronts for the first time and (2) not return to the bricks and mortar stores when this is all done.

Edited to add :

Bleedingcool is a nightmare site but has the details -
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2020/03/23/diamonds-steve-geppi-confirms-closure-no-new-comics-after-this-week/
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2020/03/23/comixology-to-distribute-comics-as-usual-on-wednesday-for-now/

We're shut down for 3 weeks. I hope the shop can survive. As John said, the weekly trip is a big deal. It's always huge to talk shop with those guys

I wonder if this will mark the end of new physical comic books.

Marvel and DC have said they are considering releasing digital format comics in the next few weeks.

You wonder what happens from there. Will Marvel and DC then release actual physical comics of the issues they have already released earlier?

There are also questions as to how those comics would be released? Is Diamond going to ship multiple weeks worth of new comics at once?

This has been looming for years now. Comic sales have been slipping for years, because they are simply too expensive.

People have been talking about comics going exclusively digital for a while now. Has this crisis forced that to happen earlier than it might have? Still, it could be the impetus to force the comic companies to accept this happening.

If so, that’s going to be it for me, as far as buying new comic books. I’m really not interested in reading comics online, even if $4-$5 for a comic is way too expensive.

Yeah man if my shop folds then I am out, maybe the odd trade here or there, if they still exist. Those dudes are cool and one of the last in town.

Fuck, even if we do get over this by the end of the month (spoilers: we won't), I do not even feel comfortable going to Motor City Con in mid May. I have not missed a con in...god damn I can't even remember.

Man, that would be sad. The one comic book store I went to in Michigan has been around since 1981. I first went there when I was a kid, back in 1982.

I have gone to that store for all these years. I knew the current owner’s father (who was the original owner). I’ve been friends with both.

Comic book stores are niche sellers though. Most of them don’t make much in the way of profits. I can’t see many comic stores managing to make it through a month or more without any revenue.

The same is true for used book stores. I’m very worried about the fate of most used book stores, which have already been hit hard for years competing with Amazon.

The one used book store in Flint has been around since the ‘70s. I have many childhood memories of visiting that store too.

It’ll be very sad if these stores are forced to go under due to a virus.

One thing is we, as comic club members, are paying our current pull lists by phone, so that the shop has some kind of revenue stream, with the idea that if and when they reopen, we can pick up our stuff when the dust settles.

I don’t understand. There aren’t any new comics being released though, right?

So, what are you paying for?

Oh sorry I had a few weeks built up (still was only like 2 books) plus I added an action figure. I had not been there in a while and I think they did get last week's books. Doubt they got this weeks

Oh, gotcha Lou. Yeah, I didn’t get to the comic shop for the last two weeks when comics were available.

I think the local store was closed before last week’s shipment came out.

10 minutes ago, JohnMcMahon said:

I guess that would work, that way customers could pay the store for comics they wanted to read, and then when the new comics start shipping again in physical format, it would just be a matter of stores filling in orders that were already purchased.

If Marvel and DC ever decide to start shipping physical comics again.

I can wait. I do not mind paying upfront and getting delivered later. I have enough in the back log to keep me company. But good on somebody to think of a way to keep everyone going

Well, more bad news. I’m not sure if I read the article correctly, but it now sounds like Marvel is canceling one-third of their line of titles.

Not that Marvel hasn’t been publishing far too many comics.

Did anyone really ask for more X-titles than have ever been published before in the year 2020?

Plus, I knew that publishing an Iron Man 2020 comic in the year 2020 was just asking for trouble.

No word yet as to when remaining new comics may end up being shipped either.