TearsInRain

All His Engines

Just read it. Loved it. Was wondering, though. It seems the tone of John has actually been made even more monotoned and serious then p[revious incarnations - more like the feel of John in the film. Am I wrong about that? He doesn't have much sense of wry wit at all, minus the one line of the tampons in the glove box.

This was written after the film started production so I wonder if Mike Carey had inside knowledge...

As a film it could have been pretty good, if done on a smaller than 100 mill budget - so those xpecting high action would not have shown up. Plenty of scares and chills there, though.

The sequel story is still being developed and at this point anything is possible. The first film cannot be discounted so it has to be addressed in any possible next chapter. I hated losing Chas - not the movie version - but the real version because without him John has no ally at all. Midnight might have to step up into that role or even poissibly the human Gabriel, which could be interesting, seeing how he/she is slightly insane at the end and knows it is her that now has to find her way back into God's good graces.. And then there's Isabel, released from Hell by Satan himself - meaning she's a tainted angel in heaven. That could also be a very interesting addition. London has been discussed seriously and there is even an idea that Keanu's conjob is actually from Liverpool, as in the book.

Of course all of this is subject to the BO. To commision a script is one thing, to shoot a 90 mill filmn of it is another entirely.

Well, All His Engines has far more action in it than the film seemed to promise in the trailers that came out and i think if they were to go down the route of following the comics then perhaps Keanu might have more to do in the sequel instead of merely being told to stand around looking nonchalantly cool with a cigarette for most of the film.

I liked the way he lights his cigs though :biggrin:

Not much wry wit?

CHAS: "There's me martial arts training-- that'll come in handy."

JOHN: "What, Tai Kwon Wheel Wrench? Shut up now, okay?"

JOHN, on Chas being sick: "a few more sick bags for Charles Lindbergh here." (whoops, getting Chas' name wrong again! Bad Mike).

JOHN, introducing himself and Chas: "John Constantine, and the lovely Mrs. Constantine."

That's just from the first two chapters of the book. The book was obviously written to echo the movie, but from what I know, the only editorial constraint was that it should be largely set in LA.

And between Chas' various fights, the big scrap in the church between the Death God and various others and John's (out of character) fight in the jail cell, there was plenty enough action for me. And of course, it's limited by how much you can cram into 200 pages.

London has been discussed seriously and there is even an idea that Keanu's conjob is actually from Liverpool, as in the book.

What's your source? I definitely wouldn't mind seeing a sequel even if the film is terrible because terrible comic-to-film movies haven't really hurt a readership before I don't think. Ah well, I'm going to try and find out some more info about a Constantine sequel at SDCC05. I still wish they'd done Chas some justice.

JOHN, on Chas being sick: "a few more sick bags for Charles Lindbergh here." (whoops, getting Chas' name wrong again! Bad Mike).

Just making sure you're not actually being serious here, its hard to tell without ;)

London has been discussed seriously and there is even an idea that Keanu's conjob is actually from Liverpool, as in the book.

What's your source? I definitely wouldn't mind seeing a sequel even if the film is terrible because terrible comic-to-film movies haven't really hurt a readership before I don't think. Ah well, I'm going to try and find out some more info about a Constantine sequel at SDCC05. I still wish they'd done Chas some justice.

I know the poor but recently enlightened sucker writing it...

As for humor.. you;re right, there was more then I commented on - just didn't feel like the same JC from old. Maybe it was how he was drawn, always hunched over, lighting a cig. Looking ominiously ravaged...

I know the poor but recently enlightened sucker writing it...

As for humor.. you;re right, there was more then I commented on - just didn't feel like the same JC from old. Maybe it was how he was drawn, always hunched over, lighting a cig. Looking ominiously ravaged...

There will not be a sequel. The movie at best will be a small sucess, not one that will warrant a sequel. Tears is just blowing smoke up your asses again.

I love the fact that you think that just because someone is writing it that it means its been greenlit, i'm so sure there are scripts out there for Istar 2 and Gigli 2 and Starsky and Hutch 2*, so when are they coming out in cinemas Tears?

*Shaft 2 (the SLJ remake), Battlefield Earth 2, You Got Served 2, Going Overboard 2, Kazaam 2, Swept Away 2, SpiceWorld 2, Mr Nanny 2 (oh yes please God), Barb Wire 2, Mac and Me 2, Captain America 2, DareDevil 2 and No Holds Barred 2.

(did you notice two fine Hulk Hogan movies in that list)

I should add that he's pretty much in line with how Mike Carey's been writing him on the regular title.

And no, he's not "the JC of old", because the JC of old was written by someone else.

Well, since we often point out that each writer has brought something of their own to Constantine, James is being realistic. But is he being accurate ?

I love the fact that you think that just because someone is writing it that it means its been greenlit, i'm so sure there are scripts out there for Istar 2 and Gigli 2 and Starsky and Hutch 2*, so when are they coming out in cinemas Tears?

*Shaft 2 (the SLJ remake), Battlefield Earth 2, You Got Served 2, Going Overboard 2, Kazaam 2, Swept Away 2, SpiceWorld 2, Mr Nanny 2 (oh yes please God),  Barb Wire 2, Mac and Me 2, Captain America 2, DareDevil 2 and No Holds Barred 2.

(did you notice two fine Hulk Hogan movies in that list)

Why don't you try reading a post before you attack it --

>>>>>Of course all of this is subject to the BO. To commision a script is one thing, to shoot a 90 mill filmn of it is another entirely. >>>>

Yeah, I wrote that - about four hours ago.

Jesus, same ol' same ol'.

you write a paragraph practically wetting your pants about a sequel, finish it off with a one line 'disclaimer' then talk about how your all chummy with the 'enlightened' guy writing it.

I burst your bubble with an opinion (stated as fact, but then all my opions are fact) that there will never be a sequel, and you get all hissy fucking boo hoo crying about it.

I think it people like you who are the problem with the americn movie inustry, too many peebs who can convince themselves of what ever reality most suits thier current alignment.

face facts fluff face the movie is a turkey.

no no i'm being to harsh, how about i give you your sequel, straight to video starring Matt Leblanc as James Constantine the brother of John with the possibility of a cable spin of series, bet the thought of that just gives you a massive money boner.

oh btw did you know at the end of Mien Kampf there's a foot note that says 'Just Kidding', see Hitler was a good guy.

okay, chaps, save ot for the IMDB before McBoss comes here all drunk and disorderly and wreaks a can of horrible whoopass vengeance upon your respective behinds.

I ain't ascaried of no M.C. Man Horn, beside i was just teasing to see if he noticed i have no idea what so ever about what i'm talking about about.

:D

Just trying to keep this thread from becoming a flame-fest...

Tears - "Jesus, same ol' same ol'" attitude won't get you far here. most of the people here have you on probation. glad to hear you liked All His Engines. Got some more thougts on it?

okay, chaps, save ot for the IMDB before McBoss comes here all drunk and disorderly and wreaks a can of horrible whoopass vengeance upon your respective behinds.

Yayks! scary McMahon:(

Anyway, I wish the movie was based on that book indeed (All His Engines). The film could have been acclaimed as topping both The Prophecy and The Ussual Suspects in one film - i mean, it's a question of who has the balls to risk of producing a film that could potentially be the best Con-Dogma-Horror flick ever. All His Engines has the ingredients and potential to be a movie adaptation, but they blew the chance.

Speaking of sequels, in case it will happen. Hope they learned their lessons and listen to the 'real' critics. :)

Tears - "Jesus, same ol' same ol'" attitude won't get you far here.

In the interests of total fairness, he has a point. Pointless and/or unwarranted hostility - on either side - achieves nothing, and holding on to serious grudges on a message board doesn't strike me as being the most worthwhile way to pass the time. If TearsInRain actually has things to contribute to these boards - and, regardless of what happened over at IMDb, he clearly has - I say there's no harm in letting bygones be bygones. It's not like he's Matadoor, is it? As long as people stay civil and engage properly in reasonable debate on these boards (which Tears has, more or less, been perfectly willing to do), I don't really care all that much what they're doing elsewhere. It's not like all of the anti-Constanteen voices have been models of restraint and dignity elsewhere on the internet, is it? Anyway, a bit of speculation/brainstorming regarding a possible sequel (whether it's actually going to get made or not, which does seem, to say the least, 'up in the air' at present) seems like a reasonable thing to do on the Constanteen part of the boards.

I'd say the main reason JC in 'All His Engines' is more 'muted' than of old is because Carey writes him (accurately) as an older character. His life has beaten some of the youthful arrogance out of him - that's made more clear in the current issues of Hellblazer, as written by Mike. We've been discussing the 'progression' of John's character over the years elsewhere on the boards recently, and some interesting ideas have been bounced around. Anyone who's involved in any putative sequel would do well to have a look at the 'So many John Constantines' thread in the Monthly Title forum, if nothing else.

Correction:

Anyone who's involved in writing the sequel might as well hand in 100 blank sheets of paper because by the time everyone and his dog (handler) has gotten hold of your script there won't be anything worth a wank in it.