JohnMcMahon

Hellblazer In Spain ?

I'm sooooo glad you made that question...

Hellblazer. Hmm, so stressed... where do I begin...? Yeah, yeah. The begining.

Ediciones Zinco sold in the eighties the first three issues, or so. Then Ediciones Zinco dissapeared. Since then, it only appeared a one-shot called Newcastle, but it was the story 'how I learn to stop worring and love the bomb', or something like that. I know there is 'Dangerous Habits' in Spain, too, but I've never seen it.

Norma Editorial came up with the Preacher. So succesful it was, they decided to bring the Garth Ennis time in Hellblazer to Spain. The comics were put together in two/three-issues format. Always two or three issues together each two or three months. So we have from the sixties to 120 issues or so. Who was the following writer to Ennis in Hellblazer? Can't remember. We got him, too. Then Azzarello was in the spanish spotlight, so Norma jumped up to the Azzarello issues, in 5-issues format every three or four months. The last one we got here is the first five issues of Mike Carey, with a rounded sticker of the Constantine movie ruining Tim Bradstreet cover.

I'll write down tomorrow the Norma Editorial issues.

Was it actually called "Hellblazer" (in English) over there ?

Of course! We pay 14-16 euros for each issue, at least there should be quality! I can't imagine "El Llameador del infierno" or "El Arrasador del infierno" in a cover... no! No! Take it out from my eyes! I can't still living with that image in my head!!

I can't imagine "El Llameador del infierno" or "El Arrasador del infierno" in a cover... no! No! Take it out from my eyes! I can't still living with that image in my head!!

I know, it sounds even more like a bad B horror movie than Hellblazer does already :biggrin:

Guest Guest

Hey, Luís, glad to see you over here!

Right. Ediciones Zinco was in charge of distribution of Hellblazer before it dissapeared, issues 1 to 5 as a limited edition of 5 comics with paper cover, and some time before issues 24-25 in a special issue called, I don't know why, 'Newcastle'. It might be a special issue of two issues or something, I don't know. What I know is that 'Dangerous Habits' appeared in Spanish, dunno when, dunno editorial. Maybe other issues appeared, always as specials.

Then Norma Editorial took the rights of the distribution, and is still with them. Norma Editorial issues:

* 27: in the special Neil Gaiman: Días de Medianoche (wonderful Hold Me)

* 62 to 119, always 2 or 3 issues together with the same kind of cover (harder than paper, but not rigid, I think it's called cartoné cover). Issues 115-119 are together.

Special nº 1 and Heartland by Ennis and Dillon, the specials 'the edge of winter', and the Constantine story of Vertigo Jam.

* 146 to 180, always 5 or 7 issues together in the same kind of cover than before.

All the collection is under the name of John Constantine Hellblazer, just the same as the american edition.

Oh, and old Norma issues are being sold together now (because of the movie) at an affordable prices. You can find them in comics shops (called here 'librerías especializadas') and some stores, not in kiosks.

I pray on bloody knees for the first 61 issues and for 119-146, but no God hear me... for the moment.

Zinco also published the Hellblazer Annual, back in the day. 'Hold Me' was also printed by Zinco - I got it on a fake TPB that includes issues 1-4- and the pseudo 'Newcastle' tpb is actually 25-26, Grant Morrison's run.

hope you don't mind the corrections.

Zinco also published the Hellblazer Annual, back in the day. 'Hold Me' was also printed by Zinco - I got it on a fake TPB that includes issues 1-4- and the pseudo 'Newcastle' tpb is actually 25-26, Grant Morrison's run.

hope you don't mind the corrections.

Of course not!

So do you received there in Chile the Zinco issues? That's significant. A lot of collections appear in Spain with 'De venta exclusiva en la Unión Europea' in the covers, to avoid the comic traffic to latinoamerican countries. Which sucks, if you ask me, but I suppose it's a way to protect the latinoamerican comic market. Or maybe to protect our own comic market.

Of course not!

So do you received there in Chile the Zinco issues? That's significant. A lot of collections appear in Spain with 'De venta exclusiva en la Unión Europea' in the covers, to avoid the comic traffic to latinoamerican countries. Which sucks, if you ask me, but I suppose it's a way to protect the latinoamerican comic market. Or maybe to protect our own comic market.

mmm. never seen any books with that sign, but it makes sense. I suspect that the "de venta excluiva en la unión europea" may have something to do with a copyright agreement. Maybe the Spanish publishers bought the rights to publish a book exclusively in Spain and some Mexican or Argentinian company got the rights for Latin America. I don't see that many comics published outside of Spain - foreign ones, that is- other than Manga.

Guest pellino

Cuban foreign minister Felipe Pérez Roque finished his two-day official visit to Spain Tuesday, declaring himself "very satisfied" with the results of his high-level meetings, which included King Juan Carlos, Zapatero, and foreign minister Moratinos. The Castro dictatorship's representative called the Cuban democratic opposition "mercenaries working for the United States" and praised Zapatero "because Spain has returned to its position, it's another Spain, the way it should have been." :)

That's a fantastic picture by Camonculi.

That's a fantastic picture by Camonculi.

Is this a common practice, where reprints are given a new cover?

I was in Rome last year, and the reprints just reprinted older covers - so I must of missed this one.

I think Camoncluli is a big fan.

I believe he put a cameo in one of his other vertigo series (can't remember where though).

This is the other sketch I found from him (I think it is him?).

constantineminimale9lc.jpg

I'd love to see Constantine pop in on that Justice League cartoon. They seem to have just about every other DC character on there. And yes it is possible to have John Constantine sans profanity. Remember he didn't really swear during Moore's Swamp Thing run. In fact I think Ennis was the one who gave John the potty mouth.

I'd love to see Constantine pop in on that Justice League cartoon.  They seem to have just about every other DC character on there.  And yes it is possible to have John Constantine sans profanity.  Remember he didn't really swear during Moore's Swamp Thing run.  In fact I think Ennis was the one who gave John the potty mouth.

Yes, but if he did appear in it, wouldn't it be the Keanu Reeves version of the character, especially if a sequel is in the works. Warner Bros wouldn't want a totally different version appearing would they?

I dunno. I mean, they have the classic Kevin Conroy Batman for the Justice League Unlimited, yet they also have that god-awful "The Batman" series as well.

I'd love to see Constantine pop in on that Justice League cartoon.  They seem to have just about every other DC character on there.  And yes it is possible to have John Constantine sans profanity.  Remember he didn't really swear during Moore's Swamp Thing run.  In fact I think Ennis was the one who gave John the potty mouth.

That would kick all imaginable kinds of ass.