Mark

Denise Mina on HELLBLAZER

and Luis comes with such a negative prejudice regarding ANYTHING Hellblazer related,

Ah, he the resident troll, then? (I'm new here...)

no, actually, that would be me. Luis is a smart gent from portugal who just has bad prejudice against current and upcoming Hellblazer writers and European films.

Rogan's right, Luis is a good dude and a longtime regular. He's a bit of a contrarian and an able debater, and normally adds spice to the proceedings, but for reasons I can't determine, some of the rhetoric against him has been a bit sharp of late, certainly sharper than he deserves for the position he's taken on the upcoming new writer for Hellblazer.

Anyway, I believe that "Hellblazer" was very original (most of the time) during the Delano years, but has progressed to how you describe it, Hmpf. Bound to happen anyway!

One can argue that since Delano or perhaps since Ennis the book has ossified to a degree into a formula, but if so, it's a complex and in many ways flexible one. Perhaps that's inevitable with such strong characterization: we all live formulae according to our own natures. Why would fiction be different?

Awww, we all love Rosa! For some, Rosa is that guy they "love to hate".

I remember when he was just a down-on-his-luck orphan, and I took him in and turned him into my sidekick. When I brought out the fishnets and green tights and wanted to call him "Robin", he broke free of my control and became his own man. Now, I'm very proud of him. But, like any stern father-figure (no matter how creepy), sometimes I must give him a good smack upside the head for being so contrary!

Rosa is very intelligent and has some great opinions! But, in recent days, he's taken to being Mr. Negativity. So, we all say, "Turn that frown upside down, Luis!"

How can you tear apart a story-arc by a virtual unknown based on a simple sentence in an interview taking place around 6 months before the story will even see the light (dim as it may be) of a comic book store?

Denise Mina is the new regular writer on Hellblazer as of #216.

Quote CBR -

Mike Carey feels it'll be time for another writer to take the title on, and will leave after his 41st issue. As of the standalone issue "Hellblazer" #216, Scottish crime novelist Denise Mina will take over, which will have " a special guest artist who cannot be named. Could be someone very close to us at this point ..." Bradstreet looked around innocently, and then talked about how much he enjoyed reading the script. "My feeling is that she will be bringing it a little more down to earth." Vankin commented. "You won't be seeing quite as many spectacular demons. It's gonna be a lot more human, a little down and dirty." When Vankin emailed her, vaguely asking if she'd be interested in working on the title, she allegedly emailed back, "I would eat my own guts to write 'Hellblazer.'" It didn't come to that, fortunately," Vankin admitted. "She'll be the regular writer on Hellblazer for the foreseeable future, starting in January."

I got maybe 80 pages into Garnethill last night, if nothing else she does a good line in character.

Didn't it say in the other interview that Manco was doing the art? Bradstreet interiors would be great, but I can't see him putting out half a years' worth of interiors. I suppose he does have nine months of lead-up time, but even then it seems like a tough job. And what will he do about the Glaswegian backdrops?

Good to see she's in it for the long run, too. Can't wait to see what she'll come up with. Hopefully the tone will be similar to Ellis' gritty Anglican Gothic crime drama, because that seemed an interesting route to take the comic.

Also glad to see Vankin comment that it'll be "human" - in that first interview I linked to, she made some comment along the lines of it being nice to write something which isn't emotive, which worried me a little bit.

She's also got a great way of creating a mood and a sense of location.

I've nearly finished "Exile" the second of the "Garnethill Trilogy" and I'm aboslutely in love with her writing.

So much so that I think I'd rather see her write a HB novel as opposed to comics. So much of her writing would be lost in comics. I dunno though. We'll see how it goes.

Apparently her first issue (#216) will be illustarted by our friend Mr Bradstreet.

That right there is a match made in heaven.

" a special guest artist who cannot be named. Could be someone very close to us at this point ..." Bradstreet look

Haha! Very interesting. :-)

By what i have read so far, Mina seems a good writer. Welcome Mina! :-)

Yeah - according to Vankin, #216 will be a standalone issue, with a one-off guest artist (presumably Bradstreet, if the hints there are anything to go by), but the other article specifically mentioned Manco having to render Glasgow accurately, so I assume he'll be illustrating the rest of Mina's run. "Down to earth"? "Human"? "Eat her own guts" to write HB? I'm feeling extremely optimistic about this, and will remain so at least until I've read the issues and made my own mind up, unless I'm given a very good reason to change my mind. Happy people live longer, you know...

I dunno, I'd rather have Manco illustrate the entire thing than have Bradstreet do one issue. I hate it when they change artists mid-arc.

Yes, but by the sound of this, Mina's run isn't just going to be a single 6-issue arc - the previous article may have lied to us about something other than Constantine making his way to Glesgae from his home turf in LA.

The clue was when #216 was described as a 'standalone issue', see? ;)

She's also got a great way of creating a mood and a sense of location.

Can't argue with that but it was the introduction of the various secondary cast members that really caught my attention, had me drooling at the thought of the background players she might bring to Hellblazer - characters like Liam really jump off the page, even when she only uses a couple of lines on im. Maureens family are a right lot too, the Thatcherite sister was a perfect caper to the pack.

"She'll be the regular writer on Hellblazer for the foreseeable future, starting in January."

Vankin said that, and I somehow missed it (see, James? You're not the only one who's an idiot). Does this mean the initial talk of her writing a 6-issue fill-in run was misleading? Could she be the next long-term writer?

"She'll be the regular writer on Hellblazer for the foreseeable future, starting in January."

Vankin said that, and I somehow missed it (see, James? You're not the only one who's an idiot). Does this mean the initial talk of her writing a 6-issue fill-in run was misleading? Could she be the next long-term writer?

Ooh, not the only idiot, eh? You silver-tongued devil.

I don't think they ever said she was a fill-in, only that she had six confirmed issues. It could be that she was only allowed to reveal the first six issues to the press, or that she was holding off on signing on for more issues until she'd decided whether she had enough stories.

Oh bugger, I still haven't booked anything - better get on that.

Is she up around that area then ?

Well Bristol's miles away from Glasgow, if that's what you mean, but I thought she might want to make an appearance anyway.

I mentioned that Mike Carey would be there, so at least she knows there'll be one responsible adult about.

I don't think they ever said she was a fill-in, only that she had six confirmed issues. It could be that she was only allowed to reveal the first six issues to the press, or that she was holding off on sigining on for more issues until she'd decided whether she had enough stories.

They didn't say that (one of the articles did describe Mina as working on "a 6-issue series for Hellblazer comics", mind), but it's the conclusion we all leapt to. Perhaps this is why she hasn't been able to talk about it just yet? It would certainly make sense, and if so, we can probably expect more information fairly soon.

Anyway, 'failing to read the original post properly before responding' = 'idiot', in my book. You and I both qualify.

Down the Local for now?

Anyway, 'failing to read the original post properly before responding' = 'idiot', in my book. You and I both qualify.

Yeah, but I'm better looking than you.

If believing that helps you sleep better at night, James, then who am I to shatter your illusions?

Okay, I'm *really* looking forward to this.

The 'I'd eat my own guts' line was what sold me on her from the first interview on. That's the spirit! *eg*