JohnMcMahon

Comic Previews

Here's a few preview pages of David Stray Bullets Lapham's upcoming stint on Detective Comics(#801-812). The back-up story for the first 4 issues is by Mike Carey, so I'd imagine a few people here will be picking this up. The preview looks a little 'meh', but I have high hopes that this could still be a decent Batman story - something I've been waiting too long for in the core titles since Brubaker and Rucka left.

Dammit...I've even more tempted by Lapham's Batman now and I've never bought a Batman monthly comic before (*). Strong hints there that he'll be playing Batman as bugfuck crazy man which is the aspect of the character which appeals to me - also a suggestion that he views the city as an enemy which I think might run quite contrary to his established character.

(*) Ok, I tell a lie. I have two issues written by Warren Ellis and I used to have the trades collecting the Broken Bat story...yes...all of it, right up to Bats return. The first trade I ever bought was A Death In The Family

Would those two issues be Legends of the dark Knight with John McRea, John?

Why am I not that excited for Ocean? I love Warren Ellis' stuff but....he seems to be falling off.

Strong hints there that he'll be playing Batman as bugfuck crazy man which is the aspect of the character which appeals to me

You might enjoy the Greg Rucka run on Detective from a few years ago in that case (yeah, I know...as if I don't mention it often enough. Well, it's possibly my favourite-ever Batman run, so sod it). Ignoring the 'Murderer/Fugitive' bullshit (which is actually quite good if you ignore the over-reaching crossover aspect, which is quite easy to do in the main), it's a damn good set of stories which has a strong underlying theme which neatly exposes Bruce as the loony toad-quack we all know he really is.

Would those two issues be Legends of the dark Knight with John McRea, John?

They would indeed - not much to them either.

Ocean looks boring - nine pages of nothing right there.

That's what I was thinking. He could have said that in half the amount of pages. Is that what y'all consider decompressed storytelling? He has these big two panel pages with a word balloon in each and not much happens. Same with Ultimate Shitfest #Suck. I'm getting tired of this shit. Still picking up Apparat, tho, because with one page he'll be forced to speed things along. Especially as Avatar is like 5 pages of story and 10 pages of T&A ads.

Actually I think that was okay decompression - a proper use of pacing and panels to build up to something interesting.

Shame those coffins are apparently on Mars or something; having loads of coffins under the Atlantic Ocean would have been a lot more interesting.

And the art in the latter half of the preview sucked. Unclear storytelling (why was the black guy apologising?) and unrealistic "action" (how come the white fella's fist didn't actually seem to connect with the black guy's face?) do not get me excited about this book.

Meh. I'm not fond of Castillo's art at all (he brutalised an otherwise pretty-good 'Tec story by Ed Brubaker a few years ago), and these previews still don't convince me. The ideas sound interesting, and the colouring/inking are pretty cool, but Castillo's pencils are still flat and inconsistent to these cynical eyes.

*maybe*

EDIT - alright, yes, damnit! And a Jim Lee-illustrated one (the best thing to come out of Hush by miles).

My name is Mark and I am a Bat-oholic.

The art for Iron Man is amazing. Looks like scenes from a movie. I was tempted to start getting Iron Man but all the Avengers:Disassemble stuff put me off.

And Mark, embrace your Bat-love!

Hmm, lovely looking art in that Iron Man preview, but the people are a bit soulless. Looks like he should be drawing technical manuals rather than comics - which is sort of fitting for Iron Man, but the human elements of the story might suffer.

Like the take on Stark as a man who's hiding behind his armour because he's (rightfully) ashamed of his real life. Have there been any other superheroes like that?

Have to laugh at all the kids who can't figure out that Stark's recording himself.

I like the looks of this characterization of Tony Stark. This is the natural progression from the alcoholism story-line by Denny O'Neil. Instead, new writers kinda ignored what O'Neil did with the character, until the "Crossing" story-line, where we saw the first signs of Tony Stark's self-hatred. But, of course that was mired under by all the cross-over shite, and something about Kang controlling Stark's mind since their first meeting (back in Avengers vol.1 #8)....

This does look good!

Keeyah-This past "Iron Man" series wasn't worth reading anymore. After Busiek left (around issue #24), it's been a real chore to read (I know I didn't want to waste my time and money reading it, so I dropped it!).

But, "Iron Man" is being relaunched from issue #1 with Warren Ellis writing it. Now's the perfect time for you to jump on an "Iron Man" series!

Ellis' Iron Man has a great deal of potential. He is good at writing sci-fi, so he's well suited for Iron Man.

The art is good, but some what empty. I don't think he will be able to keep up with a monthly schedule.

Ellis' Iron Man has a great deal of potential. He is good at writing sci-fi, so he's well suited for Iron Man.The art is good, but some what empty. I don't think he will be able to keep up with a monthly schedule.

Well suited! Sweet Zombie Jesus that was a very bad unintended pun. sorry.

Be honest with me now Mark - do you have a Batman-logo t-shirt ?

I'll have to upload a pic of the Batman tattoo I got a couple months back. :D

Just got around to scoping the Iron Man preview. Think I might give that one a try.

Anybody know when Ed Brubaker's Captain America comes out? Who's on the art chores and is there a preview?

Just got around to scoping the Iron Man preview. Think I might give that one a try.

Anybody know when Ed Brubaker's Captain America comes out? Who's on the art chores and is there a preview?

I believe the new Cap (starting with a new #1) is coming out next month. I do know Steve Epting of Cross-Gen and Avengers fame will be doing the art. I have seen some of his covers and they look great!