JohnMcMahon

Comic Previews

Yes, I believe that all the new "Avengers" line-up is launching next month.

Avengers #1-by Bendis

Iron Man #1-by Ellis

Capt. America #1-by Brubaker

I couldn't see them launching Cap after they relaunched the other books....

Speaking of that, how many freaking Captain America series have they had now?!?!?

Cap is becoming like "Punisher".

Yes, I believe that all the new "Avengers" line-up is launching next month.

Avengers #1-by Bendis

Iron Man #1-by Ellis

Capt. America #1-by Brubaker

I couldn't see them launching Cap after they relaunched the other books....

Speaking of that, how many freaking Captain America series have they had now?!?!?

Cap is becoming like "Punisher".

Avengers-couldn't care less, "Marvel's JLA" HA! Wolverine does not need another book, same with Spidey

Iron Man & Cap seem fairly interesting

You are right on about the numerous Cap restarts. Marvel should leave it be, no more #1s.

Well, the last Cap series went out with a whimper. I blame the fact that there wasn't one solid team devoted to producing the book. I mean, when Chuck Austen takes over right in the middle of John Ney Reiber's arc, well then there's something wrong. Then after that it was just rotating people and the book had no direction. There needs to be a couple of folks that really want to get behind this book. I dunno....

I liked Robert Kirikman's all too brief 4 issues. He is great on Invincible. But with only 4 issues, it seemed rushed.

I think Brubaker will do well and Steve Epting is consistenly good. At least it's not Chuck Austen. :(

Avengers-couldn't care less, "Marvel's JLA" HA! Wolverine does not need another book, same with Spidey

Wolverine isn't in The Avengers.

I don't like the art for Authority:Revolution. I never would have though Midnighter would be the best person to have a political disscussion with. Did he used to talk this much? I am looking foward to this though.

Not yet he isn't...apparently he'll be joining the exciting 'all-new' Avengers line-up once Bendis has finished slaughtering the current bunch. As will Spider-Man, I believe. Meh.

I'm going wahey for Planetary as usual but not so much for Authority. Dislike the art but have liked the writing of Brubaker on other titles. Have to agree with the Midnighter about hemp though.

Not very enthusiastic about Spider Man: India. It looks like a straight up retread of the American stories just with Indian settings, names and appearances intersposed. The artwork is a lot better than other Indian comic books I've seen, though. It looks like they've spent a bit of money on it, which is unusual for the Indian comic book industry.

I'll retract my statements if they put a uniquely Indian spin on it and deal with issues that are intrinsically Indian instead of just copying all the American stories, but somehow I have the feeling this isnt going to happen. There is no such thing as a mature reader when it comes to Indian comics. This may sound like a terrible generalization but the majority of Indian comics (the vast vast vast majority, if not all) are aimed at children. 'Normal adults' just don't read comics. The thought would not occur to them. In fact, the reading of comic books is something that children too, have to do on the run or in hiding. I know I did. Though, to be fair this latter trend as alleviated Somewhat with the advent of Cartoon Network. Television has replaced books as babysitters and a lot of parents Are pleased that their kid is sitting and watching endless hours of JLA and Batman and Johnny Bravo.

The Indian slant on the American names seemed clumsy to me (Uncle Ben becomes Uncle Bhim, Mary Jane to Meera Jain).

Yeah, they're probably trying to be clever. That, and making sure the children (like I said, children will be the largest audience for this, 15 and below) recognize the parallels between their beloved American characters and the Indian counterparts, by making it patently obvious. I'd be curious to see whether the kiddy demographic applies in other parts of India as well as in the east and the north where I know it to be true. The audience above 16 for Indian comics is negligible. Akhira, want to weigh in on the issue?

Unfortunately I am yet to see a good writer in Indian comics. In fact, most of the time, the writing is akin to that I was producing at age 10-12. Sometimes worse (Akhira, ever read any of the infamous Diamond Comics - Chacha Choudhury etc?). <shudders>

I remember someone posting before saying that the style of pants Indian-Spidey wears are dead bulky and poorly suited to leaping around the gaff.

Yeah, the dhoti. Anyone who has worn one will know that they are not conducive to acrobatics of any kind. The way some farmers/hard labourers wear them (there are different styles of dhoti tying) is more practical, but it still would not work if one does the things Spider Man does. Also, given the amount of time he spends in the air or above people, there is a constant risk of exposing bits that no self respecting superhero should expose in public. Imagine fighting the Green Goblin and defeating him because he was too busy laughing at the size of your raisinettes!! No credibility there.

Looking more closely at the preview, I see it Does contain some substantially Indian thematics but, unfortunately, the worst kind - the demonizing of the West. Notice how all the nasty/cool kids are abusing his Indianness and using all sorts of 'cool' and 'Western' exclamations like 'yo' and 'dude'. I can see where they're going with this. The first uniquely Indian superhero ('inspired' by an American comic) is going to assert his Indianness over the nasty Westernized kids. I sure hope this sort of small mindedness and simplification (currently rampant in India) is not going to be the ongoing thematic of the comic book.

I'd like to copy and paste those comments into a couple of other forums I frequent if you wouldn't mind man.

I hereby grant permission. No misquoting, no publishing these comments without royalties and please post links to above mentioned forums. In case, people take the comments out of context and I need to step up and defend them. The whole story of Westernization vs. Indian-ness is a huge bone of contention and one that encourages a lot of debate from moderates like me to extremists on both sides. Misconstruing of comments is dangerous these days.