Hmpf

John Constantine's cigarettes

As a result of a discussion on another forum I just googled for 'Silk Cuts'. AFAIK they're not available where I live (that would be Germany, btw), or anyway I wasn't familiar with the brand before reading about it in HB, but then, I'm not a smoker, so what do I know... Anyway: this is one of the results I turned up; I found it rather amusing...

http://www.jacobwaletzky.com/writing/buschemes.html

So, does that mean John would have gotten cancer even earlier if he hadn't picked that brand? ;-)

My mom was over in England last year and I had her pick me up a pack of Silk Cuts . I found them to taste odd but I have never had an English Smoke before .

I'm also highly amused at the moment that the brand is apparently considered a 'girly' one. (I love google.)

I can't remember who it was that introduced the Silk Cuts as his brand may have been Alan Moore or it might have been Jamie Delano, but I do remember the reason for the choice was that the writer wasn't a smoker so just chose a brand at random and happened to pick the girliest brand possibly.

I think John would be more likely to pick Benson & Hedges but we're stuck with the Silk Cuts now.

Silk Cuts are not typical of most British cigarettes.

Most unsatisfying brand of cigarette i have ever smoked, how Constantine manages to blow that amount of smoke from inhaling a Silk Cut is beyond me but then again, he is a magician.

You could take a drag on a Silk Cut for about a minute and feel like you haven't actually inhaled anything.

Most unsatisfying brand of cigarette i have ever smoked, how Constantine manages to blow that amount of smoke from inhaling a Silk Cut is beyond me but then again, he is a magician.

You could take a drag on a Silk Cut for about a minute and feel like you haven't actually inhaled anything.

So true!

I picked up a case of Silk Cuts when I was overseas during high school just because I always saw JC smoking them in the comic (fear not, I had started smoking years before, so nobody blame HB!). I eventually smoked all the packs, but damned if it didnt take forever to do so. You'd need an industrial strength vaccum to get the amount of smoke JC gets out of them.

They don't taste too bad, though

I'm with Incer on this one, John would defo be a Benson and Hedges man.

(My dad used to smoke B&H and when he died he left about 300 cigarettes which my mum gave to me. I'd been smoking Marlboro lights for years and I thought they were going to kill me there and then. I went round talking like Bonnie Tyler for months and I woke up feeling like there was a very fat man sitting on my chest.)

Silk Cut are really not a good choice of cigarette, the only way to smoke them is to wrap a rizla peper round the filter to cover the holes up. You don't see many men smoking them. They are cigarettes for non-smokers.

They are cigarettes for non-smokers.

Sorry Pooka, you made me laugh with that one.

Wonder if they make heroin for non-smackheads? :tongue:

When I was in London I bought a pack (I smoked Camel filters in the States, DuMaurier kings in Canada). I learned that if you lick the holes perforated into the filter at the midpoint it would help to seal them so you could draw some smoke, but I would up tearing the filters off before the end of the pack. I smoked B&H for the rest of my stay.

Hell, even James Bond's brand Dunhill was better than Silk Cuts. And thats like smoking car exhaust.

I'm not entirely un-fond of Dunhills, myself. An acquired taste, but definitely better than Silk Cuts, which are everything they've just been described as here.

I was a roll-up man myself, though, before I quit. Drum Mild tobacco, blue Rizlas for preference.

Seems like a good enough place to say

8 and a half weeks smoke free.

I was fond of pink cocktail cigarettes, mind. :biggrin:

"My mother said I couldn't smoke until I got a little older, so I got a little holder." :biggrin:

I really did, as well. :biggrin:

Well done!

You've broken the back of it now. Staying off the fags is a lot easier after the first few weeks...I've even allowed myself the odd cadged cigarette in the pub (2 on New Year's Eve, 2 at the Bedford Falls gig last week, and 1 in Edinburgh a few weeks ago, to be precise), without feeling any strong pull to smoke any more. It's great.

I'm trying to keep off them entirely, that was my mistake last time, letting them sneak back in. I have to say, not drinking helps enormously. The thing I'm proudest of (being a shallow girl :biggrin: ) is quitting the fags and not gaining weight! :biggrin:

And not smoking certainly makes using the treadmill at the gym a lot easier. "Hey, I ran for ten minutes and I haven't blacked out!" :biggrin:

It's not something I'd recommend, certainly. I'm generally staying off them entirely, with just a couple of lapses to date. I don't plan to start again - I'm enjoying not smoking far more than I'd expected.

Good to hear you both quit. I said once to my Mum: "Live can take everything away from me but not the smoking." I know I will pay for that one day, but I don´t drink. So it´s my way going down. Smoking gives me some relaxing. I´ve to say that. I know it´s an excuse but to say I´m addicted wouldn´t sound so good but it would be true!

Seems like a good enough place to say

8 and a half weeks smoke free.

Well done Pooka!

Where I work the only people that buy Silk Cuts are ladies or quite a few gentlemen who speak in a very upper class way. I can't see that John is either of these!

Our biggest seller is Lambert and Butler.

I too have bought a packet of Silk Cuts based on the Hellblzer connection though I wound up prefering the John Player Special Black brand. However I'm one of those genetic freaks who never found nicotine addictive so prehaps I'm not the best person to offer an opinion about the quality of cigarette brands.

I have no problem with quitting nicotine, to the extent that I simply can't relate to the horror stories people who apparently do tell about it. It's the habitual side of smoking I was addicted to. That's why I've allowed myself to have the odd cigarette on isolated occasions since quitting - as long as I don't do so at all regularly, I'm really not that worried about lapsing back into the habit.

Never been able to get hooked on the stuff...I only desire smokes when at a bar, at a concert or when I need the excuse of a smoke break to get out of a particuarly miserable day of work. So I usually go 2-3 weeks between cigarettes...

I go through about a pack and a half of Dunhills a week. Most of them get smoked when I'm drinking on the weekends. Never had Silk Cut, but I don't think you can get them in America. Love Dunhills though. They cost about $4.50 a pack in Mississippi, which kinda sucks though. I don't mind paying the difference.

I used to smoke American Spirits before I saw the error of my ways. Yeech. One of my friends from Russia to this day chainsmokes packs of King Edward cigars. How he hasn't keeled over from Emphysema by now is beyond me.

Our biggest seller is Lambert and Butler.

Cheap and nasty, thats why.

I'm sure its the only cigarette they actually put crack cocaine in.

Even if I was still smoking I wouldn't smoke them, cos me and my friends call 'em Lambert and Slutler. :biggrin:

Lambert & Butler: the lowest of the low. Dried twigs rolled in newspaper couldn't taste significantly worse.