Hmpf

John Constantine's cigarettes

Well, lent's over, so it's back to the cigarettes for me. I wasn't addicted, and don't think it's likely I ever will be, but I figured I'd better quit for a while just to make sure I could. As far as Constantines cigarettes go, I do have a friend in Ireland right now, I could probably convince her to get me a pack of silk cuts. Cigarettes for girls sounds more or less what I'm looking for... even after over a year of occasional smoking, I can still get sick from trying to finish a whole cigarette at once. I blame the altitude, 7000 or so feet above sea level here in Santa Fe. Half a cig does the same to me as two or three shots of vodka.

I've been a smoker for...what...like...three years or so. Since I'm American my brand is usually Marlboro Lights, give or take an odd Camel pack.

I smoked Silk Cut when I was in London for two weeks. I thought they were good, but a bit too light for my tastes. It's like warm air.

It's like warm air.

Maybe *that's* why he's smoking such a lot. They're so 'light' that only near-constant smoking will get a sufficient amount of nicotine into your veins... ;-)

Maybe *that's* why he's smoking such a lot. They're so 'light' that only near-constant smoking will get a sufficient amount of nicotine into your veins... ;-)

I always thought it might be an oral fixation :biggrin:

I too have bought a packet of Silk Cuts based on the Hellblzer connection though I wound up prefering the John Player Special Black brand.  However I'm one of those genetic freaks who never found nicotine addictive so prehaps I'm not the best person to offer an opinion about the quality of cigarette brands.

The design on the front of the packs of John Player Special (dragon and knight?) were done by a lady called Mrs Carstairs. She was my old Graphics teacher.

Actually, a quick thing- do you think they should change John's brand and what to?

I'd like JPS just for the sly reference to John as a player.

But I'd probably settle for B&H Silvers.

Nah, might as well leave him on Silk Cut now. Besides, he's knocking on a bit and anything strong might kill him.

Actually, a quick thing- do you think they should change John's brand and what to?

Good lord, no.

It's like warm air.

or maybe that's why John is so full of hot air? :p

or maybe that's why John is so full of hot air? :p

LOL! Yeah...

Why am I reminded of a bit of dialogue from the new Doctor Who...?

the Doctor: "I offer you... air from my lungs."

Jade: "How... intimate."

the Doctor: "There's plenty more where that came from."

*g*

I'm with Incer on this one, John would defo be a Benson and Hedges man

I'd have to say he'd be a Regal man. premier in british fags and only available in the north of england, you have to be an extremely resourceful character to find them in london.

Also it's true, you're at greater risk of a hernia than from cancer trying to draw smoke through a silk cut

Maybe he should switch brand, he did switch drink from gin and tonics to pints. Interestingly gin and tonics are considered an old lady drink in britain too.

IMaybe he should switch brand, he did switch drink from gin and tonics to pints. Interestingly gin and tonics are considered an old lady drink in britain too.

Maybe he's just really in touch with his feminine side. ;-) After all, he *is* bi (more or less, anyway, depending on the writer's mood or whatever)...

*g*

Or maybe he just has weird taste. Hey, a few guys *do* seem to like those cigarettes. The link I posted at the beginning of this thread was about a guy who liked them because according to them they provided the best nicotine to tar ratio...

No smoke would ever smoke them, seriously.

I remember the show called 'this life' about lawyers and one character gives up smoking and so buys silks, by the end of the night she was tearing the filters off.

This is exactly what they're like. nobody could ever get cancer from them babies

Then again... John Constantine's universe has all kind of weird things going on in it, so obviously it's not *quite* like ours... so who knows what Silk Cuts are like in it!

(Nice rationalisation, isn't it? *g*)

I have no problem with quitting nicotine, to the extent that I simply can't relate to the horror stories people who apparently do tell about it. It's the habitual side of smoking I was addicted to. That's why I've allowed myself to have the odd cigarette on isolated occasions since quitting - as long as I don't do so at all regularly, I'm really not that worried about lapsing back into the habit.

when i quit cigarettes, i had just moved in to a studio apartment. I only had a bed and my comic books that were in storage while i lived in another state. so no it was me and my JC HB collection. i read them in place of reading... now i'm addicted to comic books and i havent touched a smoke in over a year

I smoked Silk Cut for about 17 years.

I seem to remember that when I didn't smoke generally I started buying them for skinning up, since I didn't particularly like the taste of tobacco.

When I was smoking for real (ie when I ran out of dope and had to do something to keep the unknowingly accquired nicotine addiction at bay) I just carried on buying Silkies. For years I used Pooka's quote about them being the cigarette for non-smokers. Never felt the need to jump up to B&H or anything like that, always found them too harsh.

I have now stopped smoking cigarettes, and use Silk Cut Silver (even girlier silk cut) when skinning up, or when smoking while drunk (which doesn't count as smoking in my book). Next choice, Malboro Lights.

Don't do it, Hugh. Marlboro Lights are the lowest of the fucking low, and they taste bogging.

Well, y'know what it's like: it's 1am, you're in a club, and all the cigarette machine has is Malboro or Malboro Lights.

Unless you're in The Social in which case all they have are Lucky Strikes.

I used to work with a girl whose husband was a racing car driver and was being sponsored by some Japanese cigarette company and he used to get tons of free fags which got spread around amongst people who knew em.

Can't for the life of me remember what the fuck they were called but they were fucking awful tasting.

I don't like to smoke, and the fact that I get to watch my mom go through lung cancer makes it worse,...

BUT....I have had a few...what is wrong with American Spirits? I used to roll cigarettes, (Why.....I dunno...because it was cool okay. sheesh.) and I used their brand of rolling tobacco.

Among my crowd Newports are pretty popular and Marlboro reds.

I wouldn't mind having a silk cut. I have been curious. Being from america, and having no education until now, I thought because JC smoked them specifically they must be the most deadly cigs in the world. I guess I was way off.

I have a pack of unfiltered Lucky Strikes in a drawer that I taste every now and then.

I've been wondering what a good pipe would taste like, because even when i smoke....I don't like to inhale ghastly amounts, and I prefer a good cigar, so anyone know anything about pipes?

I wonder if I could get Silks at this nice English Tobacconists downtown here in chicago....

Shrugs shoulders.

I smoke silk-cut, sometimes known as 'silk-sluts', Im male and not a toff, but I do get alot of stick for it.

I used to smoke Malbourgh Red, but got that 'Red' chest. :blink:

I agree JC would probably smoke B&H, but silkcut are better for skinning up.

Also because no one ever likes them, you never get anyone poncing them off you.

ie "excuse me could I bum a fag off you, oh...silk cut, nevermind I'll ask someone else".

Mabey thats the real reason JC smokes them?

After all he's still a Scally, 'eh la' :tongue: