Sign in to follow this  
SovietSamurai

Watchmen script review

here it is

I haven't read Watchmen yet (ordered it from Amazon yesterday) but by all accounts it's a good read. Those of you more emotionally invested in the comic might want to check the review out, it's quite positive, from someone who seems familiar with the original.

It's astonishingly good.

Unlike the movie script, which - unless it's been substantially changed from the one that was posted up here by a certain forum regular last year - is an idiot's version of the story.

EDIT: well it looks like a lot of the shittier ideas have been dropped. No Laurie superpowers. Hurrah!

On the downside, the abysmal "space lasers" ending apparently remains (as if the governments wouldn't just destroy the offending satellites and track down their owners) and he doesn't say anything about the awful Drieberg vs Veidt battle. I'm also worried that the changes to Rorschach (the removal of his sexual hangups and hatred for women) and Dreiberg (being a tough detective rather than an impotent lump) remain.

It's astonishingly good.

Unlike the movie script, which - unless it's been substantially changed from the one that was posted up here by a certain forum regular last year - is an idiot's version of the story.

Complete with Nite Owl killing Veidt at the end, because 'that's what Rorschach would've wanted'. Those scriptwriters really understood the characters and the themes of the Watchmen, eh?

it says that the review of the script is from end of 2003 draft, and the one i uplaoded was from 26th september 2003... hmmm...

and that Empire article kind asucked, since they haven't said or shown ANYTHING of any real significance...

Well, Watchmen arrived, and I read it... wow. I've pretty much settled on being Rorschach for halloween. "You don't understand. I'm not locked in here with you. you're locked in here with me."

Sure, he's kind of a creep, but it's halloween. And he is undeniably a badass creep.

It'll take at least one more reading before I can discuss it in any meaningful way... but... how they gonna make this a movie? I'm baffled.

isn't there a link to the script online, on the old boards...?

James - do you remember what that was...?

Otacon was the geeky scientist dude that you find hiding from the Ninja in a locker midway through MGS1. He appears in a more prominent role in MGS2.

no, i meant do you remember what that link to the script was...?

---------------------------------------------------

Roses are Red

Violets are Blue

In Soviet Russia

Poem writes YOU!

It was on this board, not the old one. That's all I remember, I'm afraid.