Lou K

Sin City

I know we have a movie thread and I know we have a comics thread but what I just witnessed is so unbelievably dope I had to speak on it. Spoiler free.

Sin City was one of the coolest movies I have ever seen. Rodriguez and Miller pull absolutely no punches. This movie was so incredibly violent, I flinched many times and even yelled out at one point. Along with that and the amount of nudity I'm suprised they got away with it at all.

They did the most amazing things with black and white. I remember reading the first Sin City trade and just being floored with what Miller did with space and the absence of it. It's the same with this movie...groundbreaking scenes involving only black and white, with the occasional splash of color just for flavor. The faithfulness to the source material was nearly immaculate.

Mickey Rourke totally and completely breathed life into Marv - 100%. Elijah Wood made the perfect Kevin, right down from the way he moves to the crazy look in his fuckin' eyes. This is by far the best sequence. Things sag a slight bit with the Big Fat Kill but That Yellow Bastard really, really drives things home.

The only downside is some poor acting, especially from Michael Madsen - I expected so much more but some lines really came off as being cliche. My girlfriend, who has never read any of the comics, said that it sort of helped to enforce the 'old style crime movie' feel of it all.

All in all I must say this is very much worth the price of admission and very much worth seeing on the big screen with the loud audio. Every gunshot, every punch, every slice, fucking pierces. Did I mention that the soundtrack is fucking superb? Go see this motherfucker as fast as you can.

:icon_2gun:

Edited by Lou K

I just re-read the first trade, then went to Borders and read the next 4 (up to Family Values). I am sooooo horny for this movie!

:icon_2gun:

:icon_mgun: :icon_twosgun:

:icon_shotgun:

If I wanted to see it before, I'm absolutely salivating for Sin City now after reading Lou's review.

HOWWWLLL

How did you see it already Lou !?!

Fat ass props have to go to Loren and Warp 9 Comics and Collectibles for hooking me up with passes just because i'm a valued customer.....that and I gave him mad hell for not coming though with my Constantine passes like he said he would. "Oh, they came in the day after you came around." And I was like, "Motherfucker why didn't you call me? You got the digits!"

He's made up for it in spades with the Sin City pass and [edited] - what is absolutely NOT a Constantine bootleg.

Dudes and dudettes, I cannot stress enough, go and see this shit as soon as you can on that big silver screen.

Inca - you gonna have that shit in your movie house? See it for free will you?

Oh and there was like three old ladies sitting in front of me. I have no idea how they got there but they were out in like 10 minutes. A brief interlude of hardcore violence was not enough to break them but the first sight of Lucille's naked lesbian breasts sent them packing. The lady next to me sighed uncontrollably, especially during the blatant sacreligious parts. One young girl in front of me had to tell me, "Quentin Tarantino done lost his fuckin' mind!" as we were leaving. All positive reviews in my book.

Lou I knew this movie would rock but you have brought tears to my eyes ! I have to wait till sunday as my boss is off till then . My girlfriend even wants to see it !

I took my girl and she enjoyed but I must issue a warning...it is really violent. My girl hid her face quite frequently.

Nonetheless I give it 4 out of 4 aces. I'm going to see it once more on the big screen and also buy the DVD. It might have, and I ain't saying for sure, but it might have broken the all time top ten.

Guest spiderlegs

I'm so excited. This is the antithesis of what I felt approximately 5 weeks ago when another movie "based" on a comicbook was about to debut. That movie last month sure faded into obscurity rather quickly, didn't it?

Excellent. Though i am a little worried about the Lou " POWAH " Violence rating of

"A brief interlude of hardcore violence

My girl hid her face quite frequently.

Every gunshot, every punch, every slice, fucking pierces."

And the topping

"movie was so incredibly violent, I flinched many times and even yelled out at one point."

A movie that makes "POWAH" flinch and yell out?.

:ohmy: :unsure:

This might not make much sense to you guys, but violent movies make me upset.

If the violence is REAL, like what happens when a bloke decides another bloke has to go, and picks that a bit of 4 by 2 is just the leverage he needs to " Send" said bloke, I feel sick.

Something that makes Lou flinch?.

I might be covering my face a bit, I think.

:blush:

Well that's just it. It's incredibly violent but much of the violence is obscured by the use of black and white (or yellow...*shudder*) photography. A dark figure with pure white bullet holes and streams of blood. Alternately much of the violence is enhanced by a black and white background with extra violent colors. A black and white image with blood red features. Simply amazing. All in all it hits you like a hatchet to the forehead. Much of it is quite unrealistic so it shouldn't upset you too much. But also realistic enough to make you yell and squirm.

Edited by Lou K

Oh, don't get me wrong, i already sold one of my testicles to a guy, for first night seats, i am GOING alright.

Can . Not. Wait.

Just going to flinch and scream like a girl a lot, i think.

Anything Powah says may be in his top ten, is worth a few queasy retches.

Please let me know how you feel after you see it.

I will mate. bet they cut scenes, before they show it here.

I am headed north tomorrow morning, to earn some dosh.

Look after yourself mate, Mr Robot arm guy !.

:) See you in a fourtnight.

Lou - you motherfucker. It isn't out in the UK for weeks, by which time I'll be in Norway - I won't be seeing this bastard until June.

Mind you, I will get to see it at the Oslo Colloseum - the largest THX cinema in Europe. It's fucking aces.

I am shooting big spurting gobs of hot greasy manfat at the screen right now* in fevered anticipation of this movie. I can't fucking wait.

*OK, not really.

Sin City was one of the coolest movies I have ever seen. Rodriguez and Miller pull absolutely no punches. This movie was so incredibly violent, I flinched many times and even yelled out at one point. Along with that and the amount of nudity I'm suprised they got away with it at all.

Well ain't that a motherfucker - bastard thing isn't out here till bloody June.

From a negative review on RT -

"Film noir on steroids; a movie so cool you’re not supposed to be concerned about its total lack of moral grounding. Nor its profound sexism. Nor its misanthropic nihilism."

That's the point, idiot!

I'm actually relieved to hear that, because that's when it comes out in Norway, too. I was worried that everyone I know in Britain would have seen it before me, which would suck.

I'm so waiting for the big screen for this baby, though. I don't tend to go for bootleg films in any case (although if someone were to consider *under no circumstances breaking the Law by* sending me a copy of Constanteen, I'd make an exception), but I can't imagine anyone wanting to ruin this one by watching a crap copy on a computer screen. Pay the money, people.

"Well ain't that a motherfucker - bastard thing isn't out here till bloody June."

Hi John.

I suffer too. They announced to realease the movie late summer in Germany. Could be in August! F***!

I'm so waiting for the big screen for this baby, though. I don't tend to go for bootleg films in any case (although if someone were to consider *under no circumstances breaking the Law by* sending me a copy of Constanteen, I'd make an exception), but I can't imagine anyone wanting to ruin this one by watching a crap copy on a computer screen. Pay the money, people.

My thoughts exactly.

I want to see this one clean up at the box offices everywhere.