Lou K

Sin City

I feel John's and Mark's pain. not out till June over here either. and we have to wait till August for Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy! argh!

Lou - how many people were in your cinema?

Well, it was a special sneak preview so it was packed to the rafters...absolutely maximum limit. I think it comes out tomorrow. The crowd really got into it tho, laughing and cheering.

I will definitely pay to see this again.

Oh I got to the comic shop and there was no books for me so I hooked up the Violent Marv movire action figure.

Edited by Lou K

I want to see the Violent Marv movie action figure.

And I want to see what makes Lou flinch.

The Sin City trailer was the only highlight of last Friday's Constanteen screening.

Well, that and the company, obviously. ;)

So the Sin City trailer and the company were the only highlights of watching Constanteen.

Oh, and the comfy chairs.

Apart from the SC trailer, the company and the comfy chairs, what did "Constanteen" do for me? Nothing.

Well, there was the popcorn...

OK, if you disregard the trailer, company, chairs and popcorn, watching "Constanteen" was an utter waste of time!

Hmmm....I had fun writing the review though.

And the money for charity was a Good Thing.

And Rachel Weisz is yummy.

And being able to tell Matadoor and Tears off is fun.

So, apart from the SC trailer, the company, the comfy chairs, the popcorn, writing the review, taking the piss out of Matadoor/Tears, watching Rachel Weisz and raising lots of money for charity, WHAT DID "CONSTANTEEN" DO FOR ME?

NOTHING!

8-)

it's got an August release date down here as well. Joys.

--edit--

*evil cackle effect* my 666th post, yes!

Edited by hildegard h.

Just now back from a digital showing. How much do you guys hate me? :cool: Do you want a spoiler-free reaction, or shall I hold my tongue? FWIW, I think all the non-Yanks will feel a little less jealous about the wait time.

My shitty small town movie theature wasnt playing it. Fucking [over-used word]s.

I just finished watching it (after sneaking in with some lame "I'm going to see 'Robots'" excuse that no one within a twenty-meter circumference of me believed in the slightest), and I have to say, this just smacked Unbreakable out of the running for my favourite Superhero/Comic Book-related movie.

My God, this thing was absolutely brilliant.

I'd go on a two-page long spiel, but some folks still haven't seen it, and my awe for the movie has left me incapable of typing anything other than "It kicked arse!"

So let me just close by saying, Frank Miller can act!

I just finished watching it (after sneaking in with some lame "I'm going to see 'Robots'" excuse that no one within a twenty-meter circumference of me believed in the slightest), and I have to say, this just smacked Unbreakable out of the running for my favourite Superhero/Comic Book-related movie.

My God, this thing was absolutely brilliant.

I'd go on a two-page long spiel, but some folks still haven't seen it, and my awe for the movie has left me incapable of typing anything other than "It kicked arse!"

So let me just close by saying, Frank Miller can act!

Well I guess I'll be the naysayer on this one, but I saw it last night and other than a few puncy pulpish lines straight out of the comic - it left me uninvolved and numb. But I can see how every 14 year boy will love it because it's basically a film that champions every violent act their impressional little minds might want to witness. And every girl in it is a woman worthy of beating or raping or doing the same in return to some low gravely voiced man. It was fun to watch the stylized scenery but was so over the top it merely becomes an excercize in excess. There was tentative applause from the more basic members of the crowd - those that screamed out - YEAH - everytime a nude breast was shown. It was as if they had heard that the film is sooo cool and they'll be branded as Nancy boys if they actually offer an opinion other than the heard. Sorry, but if this is the "best" comic book movie made than I pity those that don't find blood gushing violence entertainment because it's a loong road down from here when everyone in Hollywood starts copying it.

I see that Tears is still trying to make friends here... ;)

Did anyone else enjoy the little discussion between Jim Lee and Jock down in the comments from the link Setos supplied? :D

and did they release some complete scenes online, like they often do with net-hyped movies...?

I'm not bitter, just amazed at the hype surrounding this cartoon. Call me old fashioned but I just don;t find gratuetus violence a form of mass fun filled entertainment. And when I watch a young audience eat it up and digest it as great cinema it just bothers me. I chose not to take my girlfriend and man am I glad I didn't. This would not have appealed to her or the majority of the female audience. The rest of night would have been very cold....

so for you haven't commented on either perfromances nor direction... you just didn't like the subject matter, Tears...

Well I guess I'll be the naysayer on this one, but I saw it last night and other than a few puncy pulpish lines straight out of the comic - it left me uninvolved and numb.  But I can see how every 14 year boy will love it because it's basically a film that champions every violent act their impressional little minds might want to witness

Bit of a contradiction that isn't it Tears? Considering the Constantine you champion so much wields a holy shotgun and punches demons in the face with a crucifix-engraved knuckleduster

It was fun to watch the stylized scenery but was so over the top it merely becomes an excercize in excess

Again, another contradiction, considering there is a lot of "stylized scenery" in Constantine as well.

There was tentative applause from the more basic members of the crowd - those that screamed out - YEAH - everytime a nude breast was shown.  It was as if they had heard that the film is sooo cool and they'll be branded as Nancy boys if they actually offer an opinion other than the heard.  Sorry, but if this is the "best" comic book movie made than I pity those that don't find blood gushing violence entertainment because it's a loong road down from here when everyone in Hollywood starts copying it.

So basically every film should be a politically correct, holier than thou, Christianity-embracing lexicon of love then?

I think this isn't about the film is it Tears?, i think this film is going to prove that a faithful adaptation of a comic book is possible and will disprove your points that faithful adaptations of comics don't make any money, its obvious this film is going to do better business than Constantine and i think this little diatribe of your's comes down to sour grapes more than anything else.

For the record as well, if you knew the Sin City comics well then you would've have known what to expect but of course, you don't read comics do you? :wink:

to be honest, I';m not sure Sin City will make more money than Constantine. it's definitely more hardcore than that flick, I think. then again, they were both rated R, right? hmmm.

I'm not bitter, just amazed at the hype surrounding this cartoon.  Call me old fashioned but I just don;t find gratuetus violence a form of mass fun filled entertainment.  And when I watch a young audience eat it up and digest it as great cinema it just bothers me.   I chose not to take my girlfriend and man am I glad I didn't.  This would not have appealed to her or the majority of the female audience.   The rest of night would have been very cold....

Nice baiting, derogatory use of the phrase "cartoon".

I find it interesting that you bemoan the film's use of "gratuitous violence", when your own film featured several scenes of graphic violence which could have been cut or re-written with virtually no impact on the story itself (Mexican being shot in the hospital pool, holy shotgun scene, Constantine beating up Balthazaar). If you think those scenes in Constantine existed for any other reason than to appeal to the whooping kids in the audience then you're delusional beyond help.

And of course, Constantine featured a helpless heroine who served little purpose in the plot than to be the living womb for a grotesque demon, and to flash her continually wet cleavage and bra at the camera whilst making gasping noises. Hardly a poster child for independent feminist power (and you can go on about how she's intelligent and fights back, but it doesn't change the fact that she's completely impotent and is essentially only another plot device to keep the hero gadding about).

Sin City is trashy, pulpy, violent, misogynist nonsense, but - unlike Constantine - at least it has the balls to admit it. And it has a damned sight more coherence and artistic merit than your dreadful, re-written, re-constituted, flimsy nothing of a movie.