Hmpf

Adam... Maria... Saul

Just wondering - why did John and/or Rosacarnis (who *did* choose those names, anyway?) choose those names? I mean, yeah, I get the biblical allusions - I just fail to see how they're relevant, exactly. And they must be relevant, right? Right? ;-)

I can't believe no one else has considered this. Perhaps the names are significant in a Biblical sense or maybe not.

I don't know what the siginificance would be though.

Maybe Saul will turn sides and help J.C. instead of persecuting him? :p

http://www.en.simpleit.eu.org/saul-paul.shtml

Yeah, well, that *would* be the obvious idea, but somehow I don't see it happening. If anyone of them is being set up as the 'nice demon' it's probably Maria; she's been humanised a fair bit in #206.

Which Maria is her name inspired by, anyway? Mary, mother of Jesus, or Mary Magdalene?

Anyone's guess is as good as mine...

I'd vaguely considered this after #200, but forgot all about it for some reason. Beyond the suggestions made so far, nothing really springs to mind...doesn't sound like Carey not to have some reason for the names, but perhaps he just didn't want to foreshadow events too heavily, and chose misleading but Biblical-sounding names?

maybe we can get Ade to ask Carey what's with the names - any significance.... not WHAT is the significance, only if there is one, then we can make our wild theories run... well, wild...

I don't normally do that sort of thing, but:

"Adam is named after Adam and the Ants Adam. He's the mad one. Not scared of ridicule."

"Saul is named after my favourite football player, Sol Campbell, aka 'Solly' so named because he is a bit of an Arse."

"Maria is called after the popular drink 'Tia Maria', it's an obscure reference to the song 'Pina Colada Song' by Rupert Holmes which was OUR SONG when I was wooing my wife. I could not call her 'Pina' or 'Colada' because DC thought Holmes would sue."

Ooookay. LOL

Well. So much for our theories. But, he sure picked some confusing names there! Especially in the context of a comic that's replete with biblical references and stuff...

:lol: -Yes, very funny and ironic!

Adam was the first man, Biblically speaking, so he could represent the dawn of religion.

Mary was the mother of Jesus, the man who has changed the way the world thinks about religion.

Saul was converted to Paul, who pretty well is the father of the modern church.

They could all be construed as the originators/torchbearers of different ideas pertaining to Christianity.

but the fact remains that their names DO have something to do with their character traits!

Adam - has no shame, will dres funny for cash...

Saul - an arsehole who likes to wear those funny soccer shorts...

Maria - she will grow up to be Mike Carey's wife...

"Maria is called after the popular drink 'Tia Maria', it's an obscure reference to the song 'Pina Colada Song' by Rupert Holmes which was OUR SONG when I was wooing my wife. I could not call her 'Pina' or 'Colada' because DC thought Holmes would sue."

James has been phoning Mike's wife and singing that down the phone to her for the last week.

i was thinking that saul would become the convert or something and 'betray' his siblings as in switch faith.

But then again i'm hoping anything will happen to make these 3 dull as fuck characters in any way 3 dimensional. Even the 'big enemy' Rosacarnis turned out to be nothing more than a plot device.

This whole arc is moving too slowly and yielding too little

Guest spiderlegs

From the last issue, it looks more like Maria would be the one to turn against her siblings. She showed somewhat of a tiny little red stain on her black little heart. I almost felt sorry for her as she lamented her life as a demon.

I think the latest issue was more about giving the bad guys (or the bad gal) some degree of three-dimensionality than setting up one of them to betray the others.

But who knows? Maybe John'll pick up on her weakness and manipulate her into fucking over the other two.

Guest spiderlegs
I think the latest issue was more about giving the bad guys (or the bad gal) some degree of three-dimensionality than setting up one of them to betray the others.

But who knows? Maybe John'll pick up on her weakness and manipulate her into fucking over the other two.

Maybe you're right. But I thought I read real empathy with Chas in her character last goround. I was even remarking it to myself out loud while reading it (the passengers on the commuter train with me all looked at me at the same time).