JohnMcMahon

Sin City vs Constanteen

Of all the ridiculous things said this thread, Tears saying David Spade somehow resembles a "high school bully" is the most ludicrous by far.

COWER BEFORE HIS BURLY MIGHT!

spade.jpg

Jesus... I didn't say that - I said that's the impression the girls I know feel about him - and in the next breath I said that Morgan Freeman gave them the feel good impression of a grandfather figure. Please, I get enough thrown at me without having being constantly misquoted. But if I remember correctly, all high school bullies weren;t muscle bound jocks - they could also be loud mouthed vindictive assholes. Which Spade can be at times.

I'm not sure I agree with that asessment or the film-going public. People by and large will buy whatever is on offer. So, if they're constantly offered a diet of lo-com-denom bullshit they'll develope a taste for it. I certainly have and so, by the looks of things, has Mark.

So very very true Tom!

Let's face it: The movie going public = people in general.

Are most normal people "morons"? Decidedly not. Most of them are just as smart as anyone on this board, don't deceive yourself otherwise. That doesn't mean that they're "right", of course.

BTW I've never said Titanic is the best film ever or anything of the sort. I just said I liked it. It's an above-average film, but nothing major in my book.

I suppose I was just not in the mood for Sin City's bleak, overly stylized, over the top - in my face violence disguised as the next great cool thing.  It was shot cool, acted cool, and had some nifty one liners and visual set pieces but as a story - how can anyone state that this is a great movie?  Because it followed its source materail 100%?  I'm sorry, but you can't fault some "morons" for not wanting to watch simple characatures of human beings grinding meat into the pavement every twenty seconds - decapitating heads- smashing faces into pulp, cutting bodies apart and feeding them to dogs - killing dogs - killing cops by skewering their brains - sick twisted grotesuqe figures torturing young nubile prostitutes - in other words sitting through a live version of a first person shooter video game.     

I thought the same when I saw Apocalipse Now.

Nah, speaking seriously, the movie is clearly violent. If you don't like meat and blood you shouldn't go to the cinema. I mean, I don't like musicals but I don't say

"It was shot cool, acted cool, and had some nifty one liners and visual set pieces but as a story - how can anyone state that this is a great movie? Because it followed its source materail 100%? I'm sorry, but you can't fault some "morons" for not wanting to watch simple characatures of humans singing and dancing as if they had taken drugs every twenty seconds". I just don't go to the cinema if what I'm going to see won't like me.

And. Apocalipse Now didn't like me because there wasn't violence enough. ('the horror, the horror' ... Please, we are no idiots, we catch the message...)

BOOGA-BOOGA-BOOOOOOOOO!!!

Joe%20Dirt.jpg

Hwo did Spade even come up? He wasn't in "Deuce Bigelow." That was that OTHER SNL also-ran, Rob Schneider, who is even LESS "bully-like" than Spade...

"I will crush you."

rob-schneider01.jpg

Guest spiderlegs

Couldn't wait to see SIN CITY and absolutely LOVED it (while possessing no misogynistic tendencies whatsoever). Dreaded seeing CONSTANTINE and hated it more than I ever thought I would (even though I gave it an "if you hadn't read the comic, would it still suck?" chance). As far as living up to its source material, SIN CITY is freakishly right on. CONSTANTINE doesn't even rate. Is CONSTANTINE still in the theaters? I would say a month after its release SIN CITY will still be playing...

Most of my friends who all saw both Constantine and Sin City loved them both and thought they were both great films. Neither of them ever read the comics and I don't really think they cared, lol. I should give them some of the comics, they might appreciate it more, they most likely would.

A totally faithfull movie adaptation of Hellblazer would have blown the faithfull movie adaptaion of Sin City out of the water in my opinion. But then perhaps that's the reason I'm on a Hellblazer message board instead of a Frank Miller/Sin City board as I prefer the world of John Constantine which is at least recongizably our world instead of the fantasy land of Sin City. Plus I think the violence in Hellblazer has more consequence than the cartoon violence in Miller's and Rodriguez's work.

A totally faithfull movie adaptation of Hellblazer would have blown the faithfull movie adaptaion of Sin City out of the water in my opinion.  But then perhaps that's the reason I'm on a Hellblazer message board instead of a Frank Miller/Sin City board as I prefer the world of John Constantine which is at least recongizably our world instead of the fantasy land of Sin City.  Plus I think the violence in Hellblazer has more consequence than the cartoon violence in Miller's and Rodriguez's work.

Word is born

It is not worthy of that claim.  And as far as Titanic - hate to say it but it is a much better film all the way around and does deserve its place in film history because it managed to connect with the FEMALE audience and coax them into emotional submission - This is a group that many filmakers simply ignore or cast off as an afterthought - or in the case of My Big Fat Greek Wedding or Terms of Endearment as a strange anomoly.  Had I taken my girlfriend to Sin City she would have walked out in ten minutes and thought I was sick for sitting through the entire thing.  Does that make her a moron because she doesn;t want to subject herself to that kind of film? 

It doesn't mean films like Sin City should not be made - they should.  So should Kill Bill (which I loved ) and any other film that places violence and explotatiion up front as its central themes  - but to champion those films - to say they are great cinema and those that shun them are morons is being a bit simplistic.

Thats funny. When I saw Sin City with the wife on Sunday, to her left were a couple obviously on a date. The guy was into it, but the young lady simply cringed through the whole thing and looked slightly sick.

Not a good first date movie, eh? But... on the other hand, Id like to see someone try to tell my wife that she should like Titanic because it connects with her as a FEMALE. Ha!

There is a difference between (a) saying that the film going public (again a non-entity) are morons, and (b) that "x" film is horrible or that "Y" individual who likes "x" film is a moron.

The latter relates to an almost universal question: why are there no good movies anymore? Answer: cause the film going public are morons. I bet people were saying this way before I was born, and blaming certain movies for "desensitizing" the audience's taste for more substantial fare.

The former relates to personal opinion on a specific movie, which is a personal idiosyncratic judgment relating to taste.

For example, my mother likes "Dances With Wolves." I believe said film is shit. However, I don't believe my mother is a moron. She just like sthat kind of stuff. Corollary: I would never recomend for her to watch Sin City. She hates violence.

Compare: "Dances with Wolves" was a box office success. "Dances With Wolves" won Kevin Costner an Oscar for best director. Scorcesse has never won an Oscar for best director.

God, the film going public are morons. :smile:

No (well, yes, but that's not the issue with this particular example), the Academy Award voters are morons.

I was blown away by the Marv story in Sin City. Beautiful, beautiful work. the Big Fat Kill section kind of slowed down, and really stopped with the look of Miller's chiascuro look (I expect this was the section Quentin directed--it felt like his work), but the Yellow Bastard section got the film's look and feel back.

Prediction--this film will become a minor classic, and long after Constantine['i] is forgotten, Sin City DVDs will be purchased and discussed.

(I expect this was the section Quentin directed--it felt like his work)

Tarantino did one scene in that section - the talk in the car between Dwight (Clive Owen) and an incapacitated Jackie (Benicio del Toro).

I was blown away by the Marv story in Sin City.  Beautiful, beautiful work.  the Big Fat Kill section kind of slowed down, and really stopped with the look of Miller's chiascuro look (I expect this was the section Quentin directed--it felt like his work), but the Yellow Bastard section got the film's look and feel back. 

Prediction--this film will become a minor classic, and long after Constantine['i] is forgotten, Sin City DVDs will be purchased and discussed.

I love how we can all recognize Tarantino's work :biggrin:

I can´t say anything to both films. I didn´t see Constantine and started reading the comics. For Sin City I like to watch the movie but don´t want to read the graphic novels! I hope the movie rocks and for Constantine: I watch it when it comes to TV or rent the DVD. I´m very broke since the year started but Im proud to be still around here. My interest come very quickly and go the same. That point goes to you, fellows! 8-)

I'm not sure Sin City will do well at the box office. It may be just a bit to violent.

But I think it will become a huge cult classic like Evil Dead or something.