Selkie

What does Superman represent to you?

Hell with pants on the outside

What the fuck, Mick? Do you mean underpants on the outside? Oh no, that guy has his pants on the outside! What a weirdo!!

Obviously you Yankees lack our british sophistication, we call 'Pants' trousers, and out underware has a habit of being called 'pants' so perhaps next time you try and make me look thick DO YOUR FUCKING RESEARCH!

So 'Oh no, that guy has his pants on the outside! What a weirdo!!' shouted in the middle of Normanton high street would be quite apt, as that fellow would be a fucking weirdo!

I believe thats one to Mick, you complete tools!

Mick, just so as you know, you've exceeded your idotic quota for the month. :huh:

And mr southerner your just following the crowd as no way in gods green earth do you call your trousers 'pants'.

But in this instance im right.

It'll just make it worse!

heh

And in the process, makes it better. :D

heh

And in the process, makes it better. :D

heh

And even better. :D

So, did anyone's enthusiasm or lack thereof for Supes change after all these years (and Morrison's All Star Superman)?

(And how come there is not a single post by Abhimanyu in this thread?!)

I have never been much interested in him, except in the aspect of him being a hopeful example of what my cousins would aspire to behave like.

So no, my feeling hasn't changed.

So, did anyone's enthusiasm or lack thereof for Supes change after all these years (and Morrison's All Star Superman)?

(And how come there is not a single post by Abhimanyu in this thread?!)

Reading the Showcase Presents:Superman and the Morrison All-Star Superman, yeah, I'd say it opens up different lights on the character.

I'd say my original take on Superman represents what I've come to shun and abhor in modern comic books...the relevance, the overtly-political, and the realism. So, my attack on Superman could really be an attack on an inudstry which has lost its sense of wonder and imagination, just like the rest of the world has done since the homogenization of monotheism, Industrialism, and the Enlightenment...seen in its zenith by post-modernism.

So, yeah, taking Superman as the "sun god" as some did on page one is very apt, I'd say.

Stripping Superman of the baggage of the 1930s, Americana, and all that "realism" (pseudo-realism in our reality), you're left with one of the characters who can exist in the pure Imagination, who can exist in a mythological context.

His biggest flaw for those of us who dislike Superman on page 1, his one-dimensionality, can also be portrayed as his greatest strength when you strip comics from what they are today (or were in the 1930s) and look at what comics represented in the Silver Age.

It's also apt to say that Superman is a product of his time, as many did on page 1, when you see how Superman can exist in the context of the 1960s compared to how he's suffered with the changing of the industry, to be realistic (ignoring Superman's roots in the Golden Age).

Still, Superman should have always (when addressing the overt political theme) represented Christianity rather than the "American Way". At least then there's a pretense towards internationalism. Peace, Love, and Brotherhood are the best ideals that Christianity could stand for, when divorced from the hatred, exclusionism, tribalism, and materialism that have corrupted the heart of all "revealed" spiritual traditions.

Christianity? I'd have thought messianic archetype, perhaps (big fan of that worn-out "secular messiah" description, or Science-Jesus). Christianity still, even with all those exclusions, is primarily God-oriented, which I definitely wouldn't like mixed with Superman.

Wasn't Bryan Singer's take on the character something along those lines of him representing Christianity, only via Mel Gibson's The Passion?

I like to think of All-Star Superman as vindication of most of what I was saying back in 200-whatever, really. I stand by most of what I said about the idea of what the character should represent, and now there's a comic out there which actually lives up to it.

Reading the start of this thread I noticed this bit posted by Mark also.

Superman's near-invulnerability doesn't necessarily make him boring - it just means setting him against low-level criminals isn't likely to make for a particularly thrilling story, in much the same way as pitting Batman in a stand-up knock-down brawl against someone like Darkseid probably isn't going to work all that well. Kudos to a writer who could pull it off, but it shouldn't be the norm.

Not only did Morrison pull off the feat of creating a Superman series that lives up to the idea of what the character should represent but he's also had Batman face off against Darkseid and win (albeit not in a stand-up knock-down brawl).