sethos

Crom!

ok, I wasjust wondering who is still reading the monthly Conan series? I left it at #5, the art just didn't grab. however, the series still seems to be going strong with a three part limited series starting this month by P Craig Russel that I'm greatly looking forward to.

I was just wondering, what's everybody's favourite bit of Conan comics? I loved the old stuff, especially the John Buscema issues, but none is more my favourite than the Conan - Skull of Set graphic novel by Doug Moench and Paul Gulacy. a comic Gulacy's stiff but highly detailed art was made for. I was looking for some images online but I could only find the cover:

gulacyconangncover.jpg

scantilly clad ladies and lots of brutal violence. what's not to like?

I read the monthly series. Started with #9. It's actually pretty good.

I just couldn't get into the art style. it was too sketchy for me (as you can tell from my own artstyle, I'm a fan of hard line work). I also found the storyteling a bit too stretched out, the first four or so issues could have been told in a lot fewer pages.

It wasnt too bad. I mean you want to talk about Skecthy. Go read a issue of Daredevil. Maleevs art is just way to crappy. The guy can't do action sequences..AT ALL. Everytime he tries, it ends up looking like poses and robots. :icon_rolleyes: :-?

Conans art goes well with the story.

I just couldn't get into the art style. it was too sketchy for me (as you can tell from my own artstyle, I'm a fan of hard line work).

Oh! I love the sketchy style on this! That style doesn't always work, but here it does. I love the wild look in Conan's eyes, and the way Nord draws him, I can believe that he moves like a panther.

I haven't read the current issue, but I didn't care for the issue before that. It did feel like is was dragging.

I loved issue #0, was all excited about "Conan", but then issue #1 came out and it was, well....kinda boring....and it didn't get better. Finally, when they reprinted Howard's "The Frost Giant's Daughter", which I already own in both prose and comics form (from the Marvel series), I realized I was wasting my money.

I LOVE the 1970s Roy Thomas, Marvel "Conan" series. This is going to sound blasphemous, but I liked Thomas' Conan stories better than Howards'! Not to say that I don't love Howards' "Conan" stories, certainly his best work.

Favourite issues? hmm....that's hard to say. That was one of the strongest 120 issue runs in comic books.

The rest of the Marvel stories I could do without, it should've been cancelled. I mean, sure DeMatteis' run was well written and Bruce Jones' run was fun, but it didn't have a sense of purpose after Thomas left. Oh, and don't get me started on when Thomas returned to "Conan" in the 90s. That was awful!

I haven't read the current issue, but I didn't care for the issue before that.  It did feel like is was dragging.

Yeah, same for me.

I wasn't impressed with the "Frost Giant's Daugter & Other Stories" trade that came out there recently - I'm not well versed in Conan at all, in fact I don't think I've read any of the comics or books before the collection in question but I still felt that this stuff wasn't nearly brutal enough.

I was hoping for some Slaine style blood letting and whoring but instead got a rather bland (in both art and story) tale. The art really bugged me, it skimped far too much on detail - no-one had any nipples, for starters.

I wasn't impressed with the "Frost Giant's Daugter & Other Stories" trade that came out there recently - I'm not well versed in Conan at all, in fact I don't think I've read any of the comics or books before the collection in question but I still felt that this stuff wasn't nearly brutal enough. 

I was hoping for some Slaine style blood letting and whoring but instead got a rather bland (in both art and story) tale.  The art really bugged me, it skimped far too much on detail - no-one had any nipples, for starters.

you're much better off getting the recoloured collections of Roy Thomas/Barry Windsor Smith/John Buscema Conan stories.

I agree with all the criticisms tossed out here and I've been on the Dark Horse book from go (although I have to pick up the last couple of issues). I've been disappointed both with Busieks's stiff pedestrian writing (especially after issue 0 showed such promise) and Nord's art style. While I am a fan pf sketchy art, Nord's figured simple don't move the way I think they should. I've always thought that the artist on Conan should ape poses from an iaido textbook or Medieval fighting manuals to get the look of sword-swinging right. Otherwise it just looks silly, and I'm not just saying this because I study swordsmanship.

Here's an iaido guy cutting a tatame practice mat.

Ohmi_Cut.jpg

Here's an old fechtbuch:

liberi2.jpg

8 page preview of Conan and the Jewels of Gwalhur

ah, I so love P Craig Russel's artwork.

No way! Without me! Give me back John Buscema! Thanks for preview and I´m not going to buy it!

Conan series in the 80´s was great. I think I still have a few Trades. I´m still reading them time after time! But it´s good that the series returned maybe so McFarlane was interested to make new Conan figures. It´s a great first series of Conan figures. For that I thank them!

I like the O.G. Howard stories, the '70s Marvels, the first movie, and I'm reading the Dark Horse series (but haven't read 24 and 25 yet).

Awesome. The last page of issue #6 is reason enough. Even the fill-in issues between Howard adaptations are good.

I liked the old Savage sword of Conan blk&white series best but the Dark Horse mag is pretty readable apart from a few issues...although the upcoming Mignola stuff could be interesting.........

I got an old Savage Sword from the '80s for free the other day. It's huge and quite fun.

I'm interested in the Book of Thoth mini that starts this week, especially since it has Kelley Jones on art duty...

It's funny reading back through this old thread, I've just inhaled the first 3 volumes of the Busiek series, all the Dark Horse minis that came out from various writers over the last few years and I have most all the volumes of DH Marvel reprints in various stages of transit to my flat.

I just can't get behind any of the complaints that I've read here, I've found it all terribly enjoyable, it's a great bit of sword and sorcery regardless of who's writing it (although the Joe Lansdale stuff was well off tone), obviously with Conan being the quintessential sword and sorcery hero and all.

It looks like I'll be spending the majority of the first half of this year in the company of barbarians of various forms, all these Conan books, I've pretty much collected all the Cerebus books so i can start reading them, I think I might grab that cheap copy of 'The Last Hero' from the book exchange next time I'm passing and There's some Elric kicking about here somewhere too.

Savage Sword of Conan was the first series I began to really collect. (I have the entire series) It's art totally captured my adolescent testosterone driven mind. It's what inspired me to draw, and hooked me on the whole genre. I've grown a bit since then but I still love to draw me a good Conan pic.

http://hellblazer.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=6660

There's a Conan pic at the bottom of the page.

just bought that Savage Sword of Conan b&w collection Dark Horse put out a few weeks ago. it is truly awesome.