sethos

Crom!

I'm interested in the Book of Thoth mini that starts this week, especially since it has Kelley Jones on art duty...

He's good, but he ain't no John Buscema, is he?

So where's a good point to start with Conan comics for the absolute newbs? Or should I just pick up that rather snazzy looking complete chronicles of Conan I saw in waterstones the other day and try the comics afterwards?

Vagabond-Del Ray has released all of the Robert E. Howard Conan stories in really nice collections (3 vols.) recently. I'd start with the first collection, The Coming of Conan the Cimmerian.

Twilight-Yes, I'd start with the Dark Horse Chronicles of Conan books if I were you.

They collect the original Roy Thomas written 1970s Marvel Conan comics. I don't feel Conan comics ever get any better than that.

Also, the Essential Savage Sword of Conan volumns, which collect the 1970s B&W companion magazine.

I also want to know this.

And what's a good collection of original Howard Conan stories?

There was a really nice one volume (and easily big enough to beat somebody to death with, if your thews are mighty enough) hardback edition published over here the other year. I think it might be a collection of the three del rays Christian mentions, and it's a very handsome book indeed.

There was a really nice one volume (and easily big enough to beat somebody to death with, if your thews are mighty enough) hardback edition published over here the other year. I think it might be a collection of the three del rays Christian mentions, and it's a very handsome book indeed.

This one? Me wants this one.

This one? Me wants this one.

Yeah, I have that one as well. Beautiful quality, it even has some illustrations!

Sethos, I beseech you to sell me Savage Sword, I've started on The Chronicles of Conan by Roy Thomas collection from Dark Horse, up to book five at the moment, it's pretty good but it's missing the guts (figuratively and literally) that the newer Conan from DH has, Busiek and Truman managed to tell a coherent and ongoing story for 50 issues, while the Chronicles doesn't really have that connectivity.

What Savage Sword actually like? and does it cover a lot of the ground that the colour comics have? I'm not really up for reading the same stories retold a third time.

Sethos, I beseech you to sell me Savage Sword, I've started on The Chronicles of Conan by Roy Thomas collection from Dark Horse, up to book five at the moment, it's pretty good but it's missing the guts (figuratively and literally) that the newer Conan from DH has, Busiek and Truman managed to tell a coherent and ongoing story for 50 issues, while the Chronicles doesn't really have that connectivity.

What Savage Sword actually like? and does it cover a lot of the ground that the colour comics have? I'm not really up for reading the same stories retold a third time.

Savage Sword are all (I think) straight up adaptations of REH and other writers Conan stories, with (especially in the first two volume) some amazing artwork due to the awesome combination of John Buscema and Alfredo Alcala.

I just bought the fourth one (really, they are all bargains with 500+ pages for under 20 bucks) and the art in't as good due to bad inking (Tony Dezuniga is shit, and he inks about 80% of this volume), but the stories are still quite awesome. Some of the stories have been done before in the old Conan series, but I'd rate Savage Sword much higher than the original series.

I might wait a while longer then, it'd be silly to jump tight into reading the same stories over again in a different format.

That makes him look more like Smug Bastard than brutal warrior.

to be fair, he often is a smug bastard in the books.

Yes, but he looks more like a smug bastard who'd avoid open fighting and rather stab people in the back. Something I can't imagine Conan doing. Of course that's only my opinion.

Are all the Conan-heads aware of that Thulsa Doom series coming in August from Dynamite? The Alex Ross covers look pretty groovy; the first one is a pipe-hitting Doom on a background worthy of Vallejo or Frazetta.

Are all the Conan-heads aware of that Thulsa Doom series coming in August from Dynamite? The Alex Ross covers look pretty groovy; the first one is a pipe-hitting Doom on a background worthy of Vallejo or Frazetta.

where can one see that cover?