A. Heathen

Monolith

I know that some of you kids read the super-heroey comics like they were going out of fashion (I wish they were!) but who is reading the most excellent "Monolith" by Justin Gray and Jimmy Palmiotti (QV the superb 21 Down) and Phil Winslade (Nevada, Goddess) ?

It's set in New York of the thirties and now, a woman finds she has "inherited" an old house that just happens to have a 1930s golem bricked up in the basement. This sets her off on a new life, away from her drugs and prostitution - to the annoyance of the pimps and pushers.

The golem, or Monolith, was created by locals to rid them of the Mob back in the thirties. Phil Winslade's depiction of NYC is damnedly beautiful. The Monolith may look vaguely like the Hulk, but he moves with a grace - can you imagine how Winslade's art conveys that ? It does. I'm telling you. Actually, you know this story contains several elements that are missing from the current Swamp Thing run.

Of course, when the Monolith is freed, he has to continue protecting her and her friends, and as he learns more about the modern world, he becomes more subtle in his methods - shame about the lack of head-popping gangsters !

In the most recently ended arc - issues 6 - 8 with guest artist Tom Coker - Monolith receives a lesson from Bat Man (just for the kids). The writing is so intricately poised and understated, that Bat Man ends up being Commissioner Gordon (back in the days when he WAS the Gotham Police) to Monolith's "vigilante". And Black Canary gets to take the piss out of Bat Man.

It's pitched at the end of the DCU where people's thoughts start turning to Vertigo or girls ... or boys.

Sounds interesting. Are there any trades out yet? I've heard good things about this before, but haven't actually read it.

Yep, 21 Down is well worth it. I thought there was a thread over at the old forum but either it's gone or the search function is buggered - or both.

It's all over now, Baby Blue:

THE MONOLITH #12

Written by Jimmy Palmiotti & Justin Gray

Art and cover by Phil Winslade

The Monolith and Tilt find Alice and a whole lot more in the climactic series finale! Monolith squares off against an army of dirty cops and attempts to shatter their slave-trade ring. But will the world see the Monolith as a hero or a villain? Final issue.

On sale Jan 12 o 32 pg, FC, $2.95 US

I've just got hold of the hardback, ansd it's a lovely edition. Only had a quick look, but Winslade's art looks a lot better at that size than it does at American comics just over a5.

Bit thin for twelve issues, though...

Right. I thought it looked a bit skinny.

Oh well...