JohnMcMahon

Paul Jenkins & Sean Phillips...

Is there any other kind?

:)

No, I've just borrowed Jenkins' complete run on Hellblazer from Atticus (thanks again, by the way) and am reading it at the moment. I'd read 'Critical Mass' and the first couple of issues before, but other than that it's all new to me...and I'm loving it. Some niggles/dislikes (I'll probably post in the Monthly Title section when I can be arsed, with some specific observations), but on the whole, some fine stuff. And Phillips is already my favourite regular 'Blazer artist to date, bar none.

So, coupled with my unhealthy Bat-love, I'll almost certainly buy this. Unless it turns out to be a piece of shit, of course. In which case I won't.

I'm thining that the style of Phillips' art will be different on this than the sort of sketchy way he drew on Hellblazer. But it should be worth a gander...

I'd imagine it'd be more like his Sleeper style (he recently illustrated an issue of Nightwing, but I didn't read it. I'll have a skim through in the shop next time I'm in, just to see what it looked like), but then, he's a versatile enough artist that he can comfortably handle a fair range of material.

EDIT: Here's what Batman, Nightwing, Robin and Batgirl look like as drawn by Sean Phillips. Distinctly Frank Miller-esque, to these eyes...

3404_3.jpg

And Phillips is already my favourite regular 'Blazer artist to date, bar none.

Finally! Someone else! :)

Fruisin would win with me if he'd kept up with the same quality at the start of Red Sepulchre, but no, he had to screw.

Famed British novelist Alex Garland wrote a Batman story?  Which title was this and what number?

Gotham Knights #39 (May 2003)

It was only an 8-page back-up "Black + White" story, but was a great example of clear and concise storytelling. The art was nice, too - Sean was letterer as well as artist. Just ignore the main feature story.

On the strength of this I picked up the original 1996 Batman Black + White miniseries, which is also well worth reading if you like the old-style Legends of the Dart Knight, featuring contributions from Gaiman, Bolland, Bisley, Corben, Kent Williams, and Katsuhiro Otomo, among many other top writers/artists.

There's a couple of TPBs out now with some of the B+W strips in, but I don't know if the Garland/Phillips tale is collected yet.

Harlan Ellison did one of those "Gotham Knights" B&W back-up features also!

Yeah, it was Jenkins and Phillips who did that "Steps" story-arc on Legends of the Dark Knight, wasn't it?

That was a really good story, I felt!