Charlie K

Why do you like comics?

Never even knew it existed, Rogan!

OK, help me out here....I know the name Darwyn Cook, but I can't place anything I've read by him. What's he written in the past (Marvel, DC or Vertigo related only)?

He illsutrated the relaunch of the new Catwoma sweries with Brubaker, i believe... Tjhis luxury miniseries of 6 parts is AWESOME... if you'd like, i can upload a few pages for you, and if you like it, you can buy it, or i can try and put it up part by part, online for ya...

Great feedback, you guys. Sethos brings up an interesting point in that most of seem to discuss mainstream books here. To tell the truth, Sethos, I have read some independent stuff - as you know, I've been a big fan of the Hernandez brothers and I am a big fan of Clowes (especially Eightball and Lloyd Llewellyn, although I thought Ghost World made a better movie than comic) - but my comics buying is down to a minimum due to financial constraints and I don't gamble as much on independent stuff as I used to. And European books - forget it. I never see them and when I do I don't know what they are. Didn't know what Corto Maltese was until you guys explained him to me.

Let's recap some of the points being made on comics. It's not a thesis, I assure you! It's just, seriously, if I were to make comics, which I'd like to someday, I'd like to match up my ideas and interests with what I think are the strengths of comics. Anywho, so far on our brainstorm we have comics' strengths as:

-fast fiction/serial nature/accessible reading

-art/like movies/imagery

-mythology/recurring characters and ideas, archetypes (we hardly touched this)

-stories told in a unique way/unique combination of words + images

-genre/flexibility of genre/storytelling

I was exaggerating a little, James, when I said I would like fights to go on for pages. Well, maybe not - you're right, JMac, in that I like the manga way of doing this; I was thinking of Miller's penchant in the 1980s to produce very pretty ninjaesque panels of action for Daredevil and Punisher and whatnot. As I understand it, though, manga come out much more consistently and are much longer than American comics. Plus, they are in love with motion, it seems. I enjoy manga, but the only one I read consistently are the old Lone Wolf and Cub novelettes from Dark Horse. One thing I don't like about manga is that many of them are so damn SILLY.

Basically, at this stage I don't have time to develop my comics ideas so I am stockpiling them. I want to work on them someday with a friend of mine with whom I have collaborated in the past (Wilson, Lou) and, watch out, I may be hitting up all of you for art and/or writing/story ideas! The comics I want to make are flat-out, basic super-hero stories. It's a genre I love and it's what I want to do. But I also want to examine the human side of the characters as well as what super-heroing would be like as in industry. For example, a lot of the characters I have in mind are the very normal support staff that works with the super-heroes: police, publicists, lawyers, reporters, etc. Doesn't sound particularly original, I suppose but, hey, none of my ideas ever are. I just endeavor to be a good storyteller!

Haning question:

If you were to make a comic out of thin air, the kind of comic you'd like to read, what would it be? And who would you have write and draw it? If I stick to the idea that I'd make the kind of comics I'd like to read, there's a scool of thought that says I'd be on the right track. For me, it'd be a well-written, well-drawn super hero book.

A Horror Western, simply because I haven't read one (still need to check out Jonah Hex, though, as it sounds like it'd fit my requirements nicely). I'd write it myself, and ideally art would be by someone like Sean Phillips. Otherwise...I wouldn't want to make that call, because one of the things I like most about comics is the creative freedom the good ones can entail. I honestly don't have a favourite genre of writing, comics or otherwise, and would have difficulty picking just one 'ideal' choice.

Mind you, a really good comic biography of Dylan would be a lot of fun to read...art by Robert Crumb, or similar.

EDIT - Incidentally, I actually am writing said Horror Western, slowly but surely. Script won't be ready any time soon I'm afraid, John, but when I've got it written I'll send copies privately to those who are curious.

While I appreciate the genius of Gaiman, Moore and Morrison, I think that it is a shame most of you guys don't seem to look beyond the bigger publishers/more mainstream fair.

I take your point but after reading the likes of Goodbye Chunky Rice, Jar Of Fools, Berlin, Abe, Fax From Sarajevo, How Loathsome, Jimmy Corrigan etc. I'm not infused with the desire to rush online and talk about im. I don't think they lend themselves to online discussion well really, at least not unless you're going to really get into talking about im.

Mind you, a really good comic biography of Dylan would be a lot of fun to read...art by Robert Crumb, or similar.

EDIT - Incidentally, I actually am writing said Horror Western, slowly but surely. Script won't be ready any time soon I'm afraid, John, but when I've got it written I'll send copies privately to those who are curious.

Nice! I'd read that. Crumb always used to do these little bios of blues players. Anyway, count me among the curious if and when you'd like to show the script!

A prison drama written by Steve Gerber with art by Leonardo Manco.

No shit?

Oh yes, Mark's Werewolves vs Cowboys!

Charlie, yeah, Steve's currently writing the superhero/prison drama Hard Time for DC - has wet my appetite something fierce for a decent mature prison comic. Rather disappointingly, Brian Azzarello's prison story in the last 100 Bullets trade was kinda shit.

I want to see a series of slice-of-life vignettes (ala the short fiction of Salinger, Hemingway, Fitzgerald, Joyce). Maybe some nice existential angst (ala Camus). I like the way Joyce made a connection and progression between disparate stories in "Dubliners", so I'd like to see that type of loose connection done with this series. But, no supernatural elements or recurring main character. Visiting a character from earlier stories every so often would be fine.

OK, this is probably cheating but I'd like to be the writer.

If you don't want me to choose myself, I'll go with J.M. DeMatteis & Neil Gaiman either working together or as a revolving cast of writers with Dave Louapre and Peter Milligan also in there.

Art? umm....John J. Muth.

I like a good prison drama.

Mark, also check out the Azzarello/Zezelj El Diablo 4 parter.

I just tried explaining my ideal comic and it turned out to be Nexus exactly so there you have it. Well, maybe a more graphically violent version, but yeah, pretty much a big epic sci-fi tale with superheros, aliens, spacecraft, hot chicks and all sorts of colorful characters. Something that takes several issues to explain.

it's an oldie... a bit trashy, by today's standards, but cool nonetheless...

aster18.jpg

aster01.jpg

i think it's a frenxch comic, a space opera, but i don;'t know its real name...

stripoteka939.JPG

it's an oldie... a bit trashy, by today's standards, but cool nonetheless...

aster18.jpg

aster01.jpg

i think it's a frenxch comic, a space opera, but i don;'t know its real name...

stripoteka939.JPG

ahhh.. see, it's got a different name over here. hmm, what is it again? ah, yes... Axel Moonshine. never really was a fan.

and John, yeah, I suppose you're right about the independents not being as easy to talk about. less spectacle, that's for sure.

Comics combine books' freedom to let your imagination create some of the action and drama with movies' ability to force your perspective (changing shots, closeups, warped views etc.)

In addition, while comics lack sound, they have a point up in regards to movies when it comes to showing you several scenes at the same time, while detracting from none of them. When movies try to emulate this (split-screen etc), it just gets confusing very fast.

...and what the others' said.

What I prefer is the same as I expect from literature or movies: Plot and characters. Fights are boring in and of themselves. They might look cool, but they lose their excitement if there isn't some underlying dramatic tension to them. They are cool when it's tied to a good plot and/or good characters. (The Losers is a good example of action-heavy comics with good plots and interesting characters)

And when the writer and/or artist also has soemthing relevant to communicate, politically/culturally/about human nature etc, that's when comics become true art.

Axel Moonshine?

the .co.yu domain was because io took the pics from a serbian site about comics...

Axel Moonshine?

the .co.yu domain was because io took the pics from a serbian site about comics...

Ah yes yes yes Rogan you have awakened some of my fondest and oldest comic book memories. That, sir, is Axel from THE VAGABOND IN LIMBO series. I Loved those comics as a kid. I only ever had three of the little collections (each about the size of an Asterix/Tintin comic) but oh boy, did they ever get me going. Not cos of the nudity either, i was a kid and had no hormones. It just got my already immense imagination firing on all jets, trying to encompass with my little 11 yr old mind, the great genre that is pulp sci fi.

And hey, there's this one book of the series called "the Ultimate Alchemist' about God and his twilight years on a dark, pleasuredome planet where all the seedy characters of the universe go to get their various perversions fulfilled and Axel's run-in with God as the latter is trying to make one last masterpiece. I dunno, it may be my nostalgia going overboard but that comic book is one of most entertaining and somehow poignant little trashy sci fi tales ive ever read. Unimaginably pulpy and very 70s but really very very good.

Thanks for reminding me of the good old days. I am grateful to my father for feeding my love of comics by leaving me one of these (without looking to see what was in them) along with an Asterix or two at my bedside every birthday for three or four years. I still have them back home in Calcutta.

Oh for the good old schlocky space operas. They dont make them like that anymore.

Vagabond in Limbo! Yes! That's the translation! We call it "The Space Wanderer"...

That's why i said Lou might like it... there was this episode that was like The Running Man tv-show, a planet where they have to survive this great race through many levels, all hosted live on TV...