A. Heathen

Constanteen Poll (Round 2)

24 members have voted

1. 1. Constanteen Poll (Round 2)

• I am getting more likely to see this film
    • I am getting less likely to see this film
    • PG13 NO! R maybe
    • "I [HEART] the gr8 Shia, thiz flm 'll ROXXX !" OR "I am a Keanu fan, and so will see the film at least seven times, but they shouldn't have done that to Hellblazer"
    • They made a film of Constantine ? I have been in a coma

8$ is the equivalent of 2 pints here, you know. So no, not that much.

"Beloved comics," eh? Do I detect some discontent?

Not at all. After I read the comics I am a fan too!

But it's just when I look at some screengrabs from the trailer I think it has a little connection. And I read somewhere that someone thought the Ninth Gate was Hellblazerish. So then I thought...well then Constanteen is too!

True, true but that wasn't the point I made.

I really wonder why they wanted this movie to be a hellblazer adaptation...I mean does it make more money that way??

Your guess is as good as anyone else's.

My personal theory is that "The Man", seeing that the rancid adaptation of Captain Correlli's Mandolin hadn't quite broken my spirit, decided to try to hit me where it would really hurt.

But I'll show "The Man", oh yes I will.

I really wonder why they wanted this movie to be a hellblazer adaptation...I mean does it make more money that way??

If everyone who's currently reading the comic (worldwide) goes to see the flick, there's maybe a $100k to be made.

Heh!

And on that note, I wonder who the people are whose votes so recently pushed "I am getting more likely to see this movie" into the winning option?

My personal theory is that "The Man", seeing that the rancid adaptation of Captain Correlli's Mandolin hadn't quite broken my spirit, decided to try to hit me where it would really hurt.

There have been worse adaptations (not many, but some) made. Really - both in terms of cinematic crapitude and of lack of faithfulness to the source material. The latter category for me is still dominated by 'The English Patient', which rather remarkably managed to turn about a chapter and a half of the original novel into the entire fucking film. Lots of pretty sand, though... :rolleyes:

Heh!

And on that note, I wonder who the people are whose votes so recently pushed "I am getting more likely to see this movie" into the winning option?

yeah, me too!

Well, me, for instance. Actually none of the options fit. I'm just going to see it, and have always been planning to. I'm neither less nor more likely now.

If you watch it on yer PC/Tv it isn't the same as when you watch it in the cinema. So after the movie is released the folks that saw it on Tv/PC can't talk in the same thread as the ones that saw it in the cinema!! :closedeyes:

When there are special effects in a film you should ALWAYS watch it in the cinema. Else it such a bloody waste! :happy:

And who lies awake for spending 8 euros?

The impact may not be exactly the same, but watching it on a TV doesn't immediately invalidate all discussion and critique.

And to be honest, I never have trouble getting caught up in the action even if I'm watching it on a tiny 14" portable TV. So long as it's a good film, of course...

But it's like The Day After Tomorrow. I dug it in the cinema but it made less impression on my telly. If it has special effects I always watch it in the cinema. But maybe that's just me.

Just you. I find it hard to be taken in by a film's special effects if the story leaves me cold.

Besides, it's not like The Day After Tomorrow has a lot of rewatch value.

like Red and Akhira, I will probably end up watching this film. I have a morbid curiosity and a movie ticket where I live is quite cheap - around US$2.50 if I stick to cinemas in my neighbourhood -. I don't think I'm getting any less or more likely to watch this thing - it's getting to be just as bad as I first feared it would be.

it all depends when they release the movie. if I have to wait months and months I won't pay for it, won't even rent it, especially after the comments I'll read here. My morbid curiosity has limits.

But it's like The Day After Tomorrow. I dug it in the cinema but it made less impression on my telly. If it has special effects I always watch it in the cinema. But maybe that's just me.

I take your point on this actually - there are certain movies which lose an awful lot in the translation to the small screen, generally these are big event flicks (Day After Tomorrow, Independence Day) though and I don't think that Constantine fits under that classification (it's not driven by special effects).

Also bear in mind that home cinema tech has improved greatly over the years - we've got a nice big widescreen tele in the flat and my boss here has an incredible sound system for his equally awesome flatscreen tele.

You're not alone, but it's not everyone's practice. TV and movies are shot for different size screens. Babylon 5 was shot for a smaller TV screen and looks crappy on a bigger one, Star Trek: Deep Space 9 has cool set detail that you don't notice until you see it on a bigger screen, and Keaton's Batman was shot for a movie screen. But it's hype was so obnoxious, and it was so clearly shot to look "majestic" on a movie screen that I very intentionally saw it on a smaller TV screen. And it just wasn't that great. As far as I'm concerned, any movie that is "impressive" solely or mostly due to its special effects isn't much good. Seeing movies suspected of being such on a TV is probably the best way to evaluate them for actual content.