Sign in to follow this  
Demon Chas08

John and the Ladies

I've been reading a lot of the Ennis/Jenkins/Carey issues latley and I was wondering which woman was best for John Constantine?

Please don't include S.W. Manor,he doesn't count and he's fucked up from the start.

you can pick any of the girls from One Last Love Song, then.

And let's not forget SLAAAAAG!!!

Silly me. Forgot all about Zed...

don't think she'd be a good choice for the Lady of his Life, mind you...

I don't believe there is *one* 'woman of his life' (though if there were, then Kit is probably it, simply from his reaction to losing her - he didn't react that strongly to anyone else).

From a simple 'who fits him best' perspective I'd have to say Angie - similar interests, knows what risk she's taking etc. I loved her response to his improvised ritual with the mushrooms in the New Zealand (was it NZ?) issue - he says: "This just felt..." and she replies "a) Stupid. b) Pretentious. c) A good excuse to get naked." *g*

I kind of hate that they ('they' being the comic book Powers That Be) went the conventional road and gave him a (presumably) much younger girlfriend, though. As a woman approaching thirty who hasn't had a serious relationship yet I want to believe that men can't only like *young* women. On the other hand, I know the 'older man, younger woman' attraction thing happens a lot, and in fact I *am* a younger woman who falls, again and again, for older men, so I really shouldn't be complaining... and that was rather more about myself than I should probably talk about on the internet, and it's rather off topic, so... to summarise:

Based on John's own reactions Kit's the 'woman of his life'. Based on compatibility of interests and lifestyle, Angie should be it, but I'm not sure how deep his feelings concerning her are yet.

Oh, and let me at this opportunity confess to a completely irrational liking for Dani. Yeah, she's one of the least developed female characters that were paired with John, but I liked her for her utter 'normalness'. I liked the contrast.

Zed, on the other hand, got on my nerves. I do like strong women, but Zed was a bit of a cliché - the cliché of the oh-so-in-touch-with-nature's-mystic-forces-and-herself-etc. woman that feminism at some point was so fond of and that infests the pages of books like Marion Zimmer Bradley's novels.

Nobody's mentioned Marj so far. I'm not sure what I think about her, though. But she deserves a mention at least.

Definitely Kit, though technically she's now the woman of Demon Constantine's life...

maybe Ellie could make herself look like Kit, and then have a happy infernal life with Demon Conjob - they'd both get the man/woman of their dreams...

every thread is a bisexual thread, since both boys and girls post in them :p

I've been reading a lot of the Ennis/Jenkins/Carey issues latley and I was wondering which woman was best for John Constantine?

Please don't include S.W. Manor,he doesn't count and he's fucked up from the start.

Best as in most healthy? Probably Kit. If JC had met her during the Jenkins run, he probably would have quit magick and settled down, I think. Of course, then he wouldn't be the same Johnny we know. I mean, we wouldn't want him to lose magick or his edge.

If memory serves, Dani wasn't bad for him either. She didn't make him that much better, but she certainly didn't make him worse. I don't think she was strong enough for him...the Ennis JC would have chewed her up and spat her out.

Then again, its been YEARS since of read the Jenkins stuff....I got it autographed by Jenkins, and then it disappeared. :mad:

While we're on the subject, a question: does the Una character from the Morrison story "Early warning" occur in any other story arcs?

I read Kit as John's serious love, but characters like Angie and Dani, and even Isabell left a good mark on John in some ways.

I say Emma. Little do we know, but if Emma had survived, John would have retired from a life of magic, moved to a little cabin in the countryside, become a best-selling fiction writer (whose name will live on beside Hemingway through history), had a few kids (not demon ones!) and lived happily ever after. It was Emma's death that was the catalyst for all that has followed in Hellblazer.

Which love interest would be best for John? For his health and sanity's sake, Emma!

I say Emma. Little do we know, but if Emma had survived, John would have retired from a life of magic, moved to a little cabin in the countryside, become a best-selling fiction writer (whose name will live on beside Hemingway through history), had a few kids (not demon ones!) and lived happily ever after. It was Emma's death that was the catalyst for all that has followed in Hellblazer.

Which love interest would be best for John? For his health and sanity's sake, Emma!

True, but you could say the same thing for Kit. In terms of character development, I'd say Kit before Emma. In all honesty there's not a lot that's was said about how much John loved Emma (if he did at all). That, and the Bureja deal had him more deep in nastiness than what happened with Kit and John didn't expierence the same kind of repercusions.

J-Yeah, I was going into much more of a "What If?" scenario, since Emma was John's "first love".

Hilde-Emma was John's "first love". She appeared in the first two issues of the "American Gothic" story-line by Alan Moore. She was a blonde haired American girl who was killed by the enemies from "American Gothic".

Her ghost has haunted John from time to time, most notably in the "Original Sins" TPB.

Hilde-Emma was John's "first love". She appeared in the first two issues of the "American Gothic" story-line by Alan Moore. She was a blonde haired American girl who was killed by the enemies from "American Gothic".

Her ghost has haunted John from time to time, most notably in the "Original Sins" TPB.

Hate to contradict you Christian, but I recall Emma as being a brunette.

She was an artist living in a smart loft in NYC. I believe she was psycically awake too, so I am not so sure John would have tossed the magick if he has been able to stick with her.