Sign in to follow this  
Demon Chas08

John and the Ladies

True, but you could say the same thing for Kit. In terms of character development, I'd say Kit before Emma. In all honesty there's not a lot that's was said about how much John loved Emma (if he did at all).

In Dangerous Habits part 5, the Second of the Fallen takes the form of Emma and John says something along the lines of "I really loved her". He's also cut up about her haunting him in issue 2, to the point where he breaks down and cries.

Hilde-Emma was John's "first love". She appeared in the first two issues of the "American Gothic" story-line by Alan Moore. She was a blonde haired American girl who was killed by the enemies from "American Gothic".

Her ghost has haunted John from time to time, most notably in the "Original Sins" TPB.

Hate to contradict you Christian, but I recall Emma as being a brunette.

Bilirubin's right, Christian... the blonde must be YOUR dead ex...

Which love interest would be best for John? For his health and sanity's sake, Gemma!

You sick bastard!

Which love interest would be best for John? For his health and sanity's sake, Gemma!

Nah... she want's to *be* him, not be with him!

(Always found that kind of strange but fascinating, btw. What an odd role model to pick.)

And yeah, I know that that wasn't a serious suggestion. Or at least I hope it wasn't. *g*

Jesus, almost fooled was I by that one :laugh:

I'm stuck between Angie and Kit though the whole old man-young woman convention annoys me as well. Honestly I love Clarice. I think she's one of the more interesting women in Hellblazer, nevermind her looks. I can't see either her or John fancying each other beyond a quick shag but I think I really like that about their relationship. To throw a wrench into the convention, true for whatever reason many women in their 20s are attracted to much older men, but are women in their 40s and 50s attracted to men in their 70s?

I lie, I do have a favorite girl for John. I'm on the Zatanna band wagon :biggrin:

Guest spiderlegs

I have a theory which says your last (most recent?) love is your greatest love for reasons too numerous to post while enduring a headache. Once it abates, I might regale you with a partial list...so Angie for me, too.

Clarice has been consistently my favorite character in the book, definitely since Carey took over. And she actually wins among the candidates thus far mentioned in the category I think's most necessary to being John's "paramour"--a healthy sense of self-preservation. There was something about the way she called up the demon during the "Red Sepulchre" storyline and sent him off to kill JC that was cold, calculated and delightful--"The moon, the stars, an old friend for dinner."

In the end John may have to settle for her because everyone else will be eventually killed off.

But I am shocked that no one one the board has mentioned Rosacarnis. She's intelligent, she's sophisticated, she knows how to eat a human eyeball with impeccable table manners, and she was able to keep John tied down for forty years. Who else is going to match that?

Nevertheless, Angie's sendoff to John in this week's issue was kinda special. It was, easily, the high point to maybe the first Mike Carey issue I didn't really care for.

But I am shocked that no one one the board has mentioned Rosacarnis. She's intelligent, she's sophisticated, she knows how to eat a human eyeball with impeccable table manners, and she was able to keep John tied down for forty years. Who else is going to match that?

Heh, great first post. Welcome to the boards, fella.

First of all, yay for a Clarice fan! I love her too, still my favorite female character of the series. Second of all, I guess I'd agree with you on Rosa.... if love for John was about being chewed up and spit out for 40 years :biggrin: Anyway welcome to the board!

The sentimental side of me says Kit, but the 'If I was forty-ish and a bit randy' side of me says "good God, Angie!".

Rogan, you beat me to the Gemma, you tart!

I'd say Zed based on the first few issues with her, but I don't think I read the issues with what finally happened with or to her. But in those first few issues, they clicked immediately and just so right together. Unfortunately for John, that isn't how things are destined to be with him and women. I've always liked Dani but she may not be hardnosed or tenacious enough to stick with John. I think he'd be tough for any woman. Kit may be the one who was the best complement to him because she was hip to his games, didn't let him get away with anything and gave as good as she got, and they were very close.

His relationship to Angie isn't finished by any means. She seems to have a spirit of adventure that appeals to him, and she's the first normally human woman that I know of that he's been with who shared his interest in magic. The relationship is still unfolding, so I'd have to reserve judgment on it.

Yeah, but that's like having a girlfriend who has started to get interested in comics.

At first it seems great, but then she's always bugging you....."What's this comic about again?", "I want to read that comic!", "Why'd you buy this comic?! Don't you know that it's shite!", "Can I read your 'Uncanny X-Men' #12 in the bathtub?"

You know, it's great if your girlfriend shows interest in your comics, as you certainly don't want one of those comic hating girls....but, comics are also your passion and hobby. It's something for you and the guys! Once the girl starts getting obsessed with them too, it's all downhill! It'll just never work.....