JohnMcMahon

Hellblazer #207

What did you think of Hellblazer #207  

33 members have voted

1. 1. What did you think of Hellblazer #207

• 10 (Cigarettes In Hell)
    • 5 (Neither There Nor Here)
    • 1 (Dead Dog's Tales)

So I am obviously the only one who really LIKED the doggy-style comment? I thought it was funny and ironic.

Anyway, I REALLY liked this issue before I read James' post. Some of the logical inconsistencies now bother me. Damn you, James, damn you to hell! ;)

I actually gave it a 10, but now, Post James, I would probably have given 7 or 8...

Nah, I thought was perfectly in keeping.

I think all these guys just feel uncomfortable with the idea of Angie and a strap-on fucking their hero.

I gave it a 7, an enjoyable enough issue but nothing that really shook me by the lapels and screamed at me.

I'm not bothered by these "errors" that are being spoken of. As long as the story hangs together I'm happy.

Personally i thought it was a bit duff. Little is advanced, and the use of the 'innocent' souls just removes a lot of what could have been.

I hope it gets a bit better, the basis behind the plot seems fine - just a rubbish intro.

Not disputing your assessment of the issue - it was a bog-standard '7' for me, by the way - but how exactly did the use of innocent souls remove a lot of what could have been? I'm just curious, because it didn't strike me as a plot device with much bearing on the quality of the issue as a whole.

I'll let you guys sort out the finer points of the story.

From an art perspective I was thoroughly pleased with Manco's efforts this issue. He seems almost back to his All His Engines form after a few - not as finely detailed issues - The month off must have done him good. I guess what I like most about his art is that besides being gritty, he has made a wonderful effort to have the characters (most of all John) look like the people that I draw on the covers. His artwork brings a visual continuity to this title that it has not had since I came aboard. Aside from the Sean Phillips era, this book has never had that kind of cohesiveness for such a run of issues. As a fan I totally appreciate his approach to the material. As an artist it warms my heart to see the interiors on much the same wavelength as the stuff I contribute. This is stuff we may not appreciate as much now because it's easy to overlook these types of things when they are so fresh in our minds. But down the road I think Manco's run with the title will be one of the high water marks of the series.

As for the issue itself I loved the little sequence where Gemma and Angie break into Gladys' flat.

A panel as simple as jimmying a door with a crowbar is nicely done, as we assume that Gemma hip-checked the door to throw weight behind the forced entry. The panel needed no sound effect.

Then inside Gladys' apartment bathed in shadow - to the kitchen - to the pantry. Nicely moved along. And again, it's just a kitchen, but the kid doesn't phone it in. Every detail is there in a shot where a lot of artists would not have gone to the trouble. It's also a taste of Manco's clean style which is normally underneath the smudges, drybrush and fingerprint technique. A very solid issue artistically. I especially love the last page, panel one almost being some kind of homage to Harrison Ford hanging from the precipice in Blade Runner. Nice going Leo, keep 'em coming.

- TB

Couldn't agree more with all of that, Tim - the only niggle I have is the one both James and I expressed earlier, which is that the action in the sequence where John runs past the demon-creature on the Bridge O' Souls could have been a lot clearer - I've shown the page in question to a few people, to see if I was being a little harsh, and they all agreed that, visually, it was a bit of a mess. That could be a minor problem with either the art or the writing, though - either way, it's hardly something which makes or breaks what is otherwise a gratifyingly solid piece of work, art-wise. If Manco can keep this sort of standard up without the month's lead-time, his run has the potential to be everything you predict. I've got used to his John now, too - like most artists, he seems to have put his own stamp on ol' Con-job's facial structure, which always takes a bit of getting used to (even Sean Phillips' still-definitive JC took a while to really click for me, being so different from the Steve Dillon look I had been familiar with), but the character is still totally recognizable as himself, which is more than can be said for some of Frusin's later efforts.

Can't wait for this arc to continue, really - as the last page would suggest, this was just a prelude to greater things to come.

One thing I like about this arc is that it seems that hell will be treated as just the really bad place it is. In some of the earlier issues where JC hsa been in hell, the place has been treated sort of nonchalantely. Not so this time!

If Manco can keep this sort of standard up without the month's lead-time, his run has the potential to be everything you predict. - Can't wait for this arc to continue, really - as the last page would suggest, this was just a prelude to greater things to come.

And judging from the preview pages to 208 the prediction looks to be right on track.

I see what you are saying about the Bridge Of Souls, but I'd like to impress upon you that the script's descriptions can get a little daunting. I'd go out of my mellon if I had to draw the shit that Carey puts in the scripts (I'm talking the HELL stuff here), I mean . . . It never stops. I honestly don't know how Manco does it. He's gotta be single cause I don't think there is any way a wife would put up with talking to the back of his head while he pencils and inks 15 hours a day.

Like I said before, these are not "walk through" panels and pages, it's not a quick style like Sean's interiors were (and by quick I mean stylistically more simple). Every page is full bore.

I wasn't so sure about Manco at first when he showed up with the Out Of Season arc. I mean I thought he was OK but when I learned he was taking over I had my doubts. Then I didn't see any of his issues for a while (cause I was in Italy), I had no access to comps. Then I get home and I have this All His Engines thing and 3 issues. I became a believer very quickly.

If Manco sticks on this book and keeps the level of his work to this high degree, he's gonna own this bitch. And the sick part is he can get better. Do we have a star in the making?

- TB

I believe we do have a star in the making. Right now, he's in my extremely top list of favorite artists next to Frank Miller, John Cassady, and Alex Maleev. I hope he stays onto the series til I grow wrinkled and old... :biggrin:

Well atleast Carey doesnt write Scripts like Alan Moore. I'v read that mores scripts sometimes tend to drive the artists nuts. Cuz he tends to go into FULL detail of every little thing and aspect. hell he even mention's the weather and other such things. lol

I think the Carey/Manco run has been superb, I've been catching up on HB over the last couple of months and read quite a few of the trades, so it maybe that I've had more time to ponder these last few issues but biased as I maybe Manco really does it for me.

It was really interesting to see the debate about continuity etc. in this thread, very very perceptive, I think that the only thing that crossed my mind was the holy water issue and even that just made me smirk. I didn't mind the bridge of souls panels but then again I'm useless at reviewing things I enjoy, as I lose myself completely in them, be it books, films or music, its almost like going into a trance. When I've finished reading or watching something, I can't even remember quotes etc. I can follow plots and twists etc. but sometimes it's only on a second viewing that I notice some of the more peripheral things. (I'm not dense though, honest! :blink: ).

Out of interest has Kevin O'Neill ever done any art for HB, he's one of my all time favourites and I could imagine he'd be well suited to a special??

Oh one other thought I had, I wonder what it feels like to walk on a load of faces with no socks on. :tongue:

Oh one other thought I had, I wonder what it feels like to walk on a load of faces with no socks on.

Haha, sounds like fun. :laugh:

Hi guys, long time no read...!

I'm sorry for not having replied before, but in fact I was not here... I was in hell taking pictures for documentation...

the bad thing of that place is you can't smoke in there. And once you get a chance, so much time has passed that you've already given up smoking.

Regarding #206, so nicely criticized, I just can add one thing... sometimes, things don't get done as one imagine. I do not think it was bad... but I'm convinced you didn't like it. I planned to do something based on oniric, strange images. I aimed at using a confusing inking, not solid, so as to represent Angie's sinister feelings.

What I really regret is the coloring, which didn't improved my work and prevented it from showing textures. I'm not saying it's bad.

Anyway, it is always useful to receive critics. It really helps to improve things.

Regarding the following issues, I'm glad to hear their met your expectations, cos meeting yours is meeting mine too. I deeply thank your opinions regarding AHE. Buybuybuybuybuybuybuy lots of books!!! hehehee

I'm really enjoying very much this epic saga of John in Hell. I think it's a very important era in Carey's Hellblazer, defining lots of plots and including lots of characters John has ran into during his life. In fact, such a talented guy like him can

have this literary and fantastic vision. Drawing each panel satisfies me enormously.

TIM... Mr. TIM BRADSTREET:

I'm really proud of reading your opinion about my work in Hellblazer. I admire your art very much, since your begginings. And I love the power you indulge in every character you draw. In fact, I own "Maximum Black", and I hope you could sign it for me someday. I agree with you... I didn't trust myself at the beggining...! As many may know, I dreamed of drawing this character for many years... And I faced the healthy challenge of facing it, because I cannot afford dissapointing Hellblazer fans when they have such great cover artist and writer.

Now, I gotta go again. John is waiting for me at Hell gates. Just came back for some Kodak films. It's a pitty... I'm going to miss Barnie-Teletubbies crossover this weekend. But work is first. See the things I gotta do for you people!!!!

I wish you all the best

We stay tuned!!!

Leo

Good to have you on the boards, Mr. Manco. While I appreciate your concerns, I'd say you have nothing to worry about - speaking for myself, I'm certainly far from disappointed by your work so far. As I said in the thread for the latest issue, in fact, you're rapidly becoming one of my favourite artists ever to work on Hellblazer, so any negative comments I may make about your work should be taken with that in mind.

Given that the unusual texturing is one of the strongest things about your work on HB so far, it was a shame that the colouring on #207 didn't allow it to come across as cleanly as it could have done. While a few things in this issue didn't quite work for me, your overall style is a great fit for the title, and I'm glad to see your willingness to experiment with tone and technique depending on the story at hand. I'd rather have an artist who's willing to take risks which don't always pay off than one who always takes the easy option, that's for sure - when the risks pay off, as they mostly have so far in your Hellblazer, the finished work looks even better for it.

With regard to the colouring, #208 looked a lot better all-round. While it's certainly worth listening to any small complaints we may have about your art (almost any work can improved by listening to any valid criticisms people have to make about it), on the whole I think most of the fans here are enjoying your work enormously, and any minor criticisms are just that: minor. We're online comic fans - nitpicking is what we do best, after all(!)

Keep up the good work, and thanks for dropping by here. Hope to see you in these parts again...

Hey Sir. Manco, nice to have you on the boards. Since the first time I opened up HB 201 (my first HB comic) I was loving the artwork and I think that you're among the best comic artists out right now. I loved the ultimate realism of it and how dark the surroundings were without making it look for dull and ordinary. I would actually like to see you and Alex Maleev do like a collabration of some kind. That would most likely be beautiful with every cent worth it.