18 members have voted

1. 1. Which one will it be?

• 1.Batman:Legends of the Dark Knight
    • 2.Ostrander's Spectre
    • 3.Robinson's Starman
    • 4.DeMatteis' Justice League
    • 5.DeMatteis' Dr. Fate
    • 6.Ennis' Demon or Hitman
    • 7.something Morrison wrote (JLA, Flash)
    • 8.Other (tell me!)

This is just for my own purposes. I'm just wondering which of the non-Vertigo related DC series people really, really liked.

So, remember, Grant Morrison's run on "Animal Man" doesn't count for this poll because it went on to be integrated into the Vertigo line.

Also, I'm just wondering about on-going books. Mini-series or GNs don't count for this poll either.

Thanks for playing!

Starman, with an honourable mention to Astro City...

(read Starman yet, Christian? i think it might do you good to do so now, it might help with your recent [justifiable] bad mood)

I was tempted to say Ostrander's Spectre, but I've only read a few issues (I'm in the process of tracking down all Spectres/Dr Fates/Demons and will report back in due course.)

Doom Patrol and Swamp thing aren't valid choices due to their later integration with Vertigo, so I can't suggest those.

My next thought was to suggest Chain Gang War, which wasn't technically a mini-series (it was ongoing but cancelled early).

But in the end I went for Legends of the Dark Knight, if only because there were some classics in the early days.

And Rogan, I've never read an issue of Starman, although it's one of the things I've always meant to look into - are all issues collected as TPB, and if so in which order are they to be read?

not all issues are collected, alas, but there's at least 7-8 trades out so far...

the reading order :

Starman : Sins of the Father

Starman : Night And Day

Starman : A Wicked Inclination

Starman : Times Past

Starman : Infernal Devices

Starman : To Reach The Stars

Starman : A Starry Knight

There oughta be one more "space saga" TPB, though i haven't heard it ever got published,, but recently DC published

Starman : Grand Guignol

which collects the 15-or whatever part storyline where a lot of things get resolved, but fterwards there should be at lewast one more trade, plus one more Times Past collection... also - The Shade Miniseries was very good and worth reading and/or including in some future publishing schedule...

I hardly ever read any non-Vertigo DC, but I am very interested in the upcoming Question series by Rick Veitch and Tommy Lee Edwards. also, does Sleeper count? Gotham Central (when I buy it in trades)?

I'm in the same boat as Sethos, mainstream DC books generally speaking aren't on my radar. Currently reading Bloodhound and Hard Time from that line, before they came out it was only Hitman and before that...well I tried Starman but that's about it.

Jack-I've never heard of "Chain Gang War". Who was the writer?

Rogan-I've read the first two issue of "Starman", but actually, I found it a bit too dark for my mood right now. I've been reading the "Justice League" books, which have been keeping my mood up.

I'll get around to "Starman" eventually, don't worry!

Yeah, I haven't read too many DC books. I always preferred Marvel when it came to getting a superhero fix.

But, this list is of the DC series I have read and enjoyed (or in the case of the two Ennis books heard lots of people on this Forum say they like).

I couldn't pick the ONE that I liked best

1.Spectre was a great series! I loved how Ostrander incorporated every Spectre series into his to make a coherent history of the character.

2.Justice League-This is an awesome series! It's the REconstruction of the superhero.

3.Dr. Fate-One of my all time favourite comic series. DeMatteis balanced his usual dark, moody, spiritual writing with his humourous side; and it works so well!

4.Legends of the Dark Knight-Hard to judge this series as a whole, as some of the story-lines are just so great, while others are just average or even worse. Such is the pratfall of the anthology, BUT Batman has always been my favourite DC character, and I felt this was his best series.

Christian - read the next two issues, and just finish the first storyline... the book gets much much brighter once Jack Knight becomes Starman...

Batman was pre-Miller and is post-Miller boring, and so are his allies, including Superman, at least in my opinion. I generally read DC superhero books for the villains, whose antics are often imaginative and entertaining. With one exception, I only follow mini-series within DC titles, and often don't even get all of those. The writing on most DC titles just doesn't keep my interest past an issue or two at a time.

The exception is Gotham Central. It's oddball to my tastes because some of DCU's craziest villains are shown as normal-looking people who mostly aren't pictured doing anything too odd, so the attraction isn't outre supervillains. GC really is a precinct house cop series, and I mostly don't care much for cop series, but the writers do well at portraying a group of highly competent and professional police officers who go through all the normal human stuff that you'd expect them to if you really thought about their lives. I don't think the concept is radically new, and many of the subplots are staples of the precinct house genre, but somehow Brubaker and the other writer(s) who've been on the book tell the stories in involving ways and have made me care about their characters. I think they just do a very good job writing the book and I hope DC doesn't screw up and put an inferior or even an average writer on this title. The writing is appropriately backed up by the realistic style of the book's art team. I hope that DC doesn't blow it by putting a cartoony artist on GC or one who can't manage the current realistic style.

Love Gotham Central.

Read a bit of Hitman but I'm still waiting for them to trade it up fully.

Other than that? Almost nothing.

What is wrong with this effing poll? Surely Starman is a series that is far superior to Hitman...

I have to disagree with you somewhat Rogan. I think Starman is superior to Hitman but only just, they are both truly excellent series. They are very different types of comic series though but equally worth reading all the issues.

On reflection Hitman is the best thing Ennis has written aside from Hellblazer. It was a surreal insane violent mess with a lot of pathos that Ennis somehow managed to pull off.

What is wrong with this effing poll? Surely Starman is a series that is far superior to Hitman...

I must agree with you Rogan. Starman was a truly great series. It was like some grand opus. I recently re-read the whole series and it was even better the 2nd time.

Can't vote.

Far too many books to list.

Honourable mentions to Casey on Wildcats, Astro City, Ellis at Wildstorm, Roy Thomas' run on All Star Squadrom/Infinity Inc, the first four years of Wolfman and Perez's New Teen Titans and that's just off the top of my head.

I mean shit there's more to life than goths and fucking pixies you know?

OK, I've decided.

From what I've read it does seem that "Starman" is better than "Hitman". "Hitman" just really did nothing for me.

BUT, I seriously doubt "Starman" will beat the sheer emotion and genius of DeMatteis' "Dr. Fate".

Man, Rogan! At least Starman got TWO votes! I'm the only one who voted for "Dr. Fate"! Obviously, not many people have read that book....

I'm in the same boat as Sethos, mainstream DC books generally speaking aren't on my radar.  Currently reading Bloodhound and Hard Time from that line, before they came out it was only Hitman and before that...well I tried Starman but that's about it.

having just downloaded the first nine issues of Hard Time, I can see the appeal: immediately ordered the trade from amazon. ace series!

Although i really enjoy Hitman, Starman had the needed dose of emotions and personal involvement, and the somewhat poetic narration that really managed to pull me in. Hitman did that only with a few purposely emotional issues. emotions felt a bit extorted... besides, though i might enjoy McCrea's style, Starman had both good writing AND good looks (until that Snejbjerg fellow deicded to come onboard, that is)... words AND picktures a comic make, and first few arcs of Starman are thus VERY dear to me...

I voted Hitman/Demon but I'm not so sure about it....

I really enjoyed the rotating artists and concepts behind the Legends of the Dark Knight anthologies as well as the Dark Knight Returns stuff.

Kevin Smith's Green Arrow was one of my faves, too.

Lou-Isn't it you who is a big fan of Ostrander's "Spectre" too?

So, has ANYONE ever read Grant Morrison's run on "Flash"?! I just heard about it recently, and haven't found any of the issues. I was wondering if it's even worth buying?

Well, it was more Millar than Morrison. They started co-writing and Millar finished the run solo. It was only a year. Was some cool stuff but nothing mind-blowing.

Hmmm...favourite non vertigo DC title.....?

If you'd asked this a couple of years ago I'd have frimly gone with Batgirl (until it went tits up), but at the mo', have to say, by far, Green Arrow. It's been (largely) consistently brilliant straight super-hero stuff from Kevin Smith's excellent work up to & including Judd Winick's run (but - definitely - not counting the Green Lantern crossover).

Hey, they're I know they're fanboy choices, but I like them

Starman certainly had its moments but I lost all interest once he went up into space. A lot of the series seemed devoted to fawning all over DC's Silver Age history, none of which I care or am familiar about.

Other: Gotham Central. For all the reasons cited by Josh and more. It's the finest book DC are putting out at the moment.

A few years ago I'd have said 'LotDK', because (a) I'm a Batman fanboy, and (B) Legends was always the best, and most interesting, of the Bat-titles. But then it went downhill, and was finally robbed of all reason for existence last year.