18 members have voted

1. 1. Which one will it be?

• 1.Batman:Legends of the Dark Knight
    • 2.Ostrander's Spectre
    • 3.Robinson's Starman
    • 4.DeMatteis' Justice League
    • 5.DeMatteis' Dr. Fate
    • 6.Ennis' Demon or Hitman
    • 7.something Morrison wrote (JLA, Flash)
    • 8.Other (tell me!)

Spot-on. The quality had been wavering for a few years, but the concept of the book was still strong - non-continuity, self-contained stories, created by a succession of 'guest' writer/artist teams. Sadly, that went out the window last year when the title became just another tedious, uninspired 'continuity' title (excuse me while I laugh hollowly at the very thought of the modern-day Batman 'continuity'). Stupid, really - especially when things like Azzarello/Risso's Batman run would have fitted into the old LotDK format far better than it did on the main title, and would probably have been better-received to boot.

Lou-Isn't it you who is a big fan of Ostrander's "Spectre" too?

So, has ANYONE ever read Grant Morrison's run on "Flash"?!

I'm more of a Michael Fleischer/Jim Aparo man.

Might check out Morisson/Millar's Flash if it was traded.

I think it moved to telling in-continuity stories instead of providing a platform for top-level creative teams to tell that one Batman story they had in them.

That's what I feared. Why the fuck would they do that?

It makes much more sense to have an out-of-continuity title for such an iconic figure as Batman as it allows a writer to explore the breadth of possibilities for the character rather than being constrained.

I always thought they should have done something similar for Superman but I was never as fond of the character as I was for Batman.

Starman certainly had its moments but I lost all interest once he went up into space.  A lot of the series seemed devoted to fawning all over DC's Silver Age history, none of which I care or am familiar about.

yes, the spoace saga was the downfall, though it seemed to just follow Moore's SWamp Thing space issues... :(

have you read the Grand Guignol storyline, or did you drop the title?

Does Wildstorm stuff count? Cause I get The Authority.

I pick up some Batman in trades and I get Nightwing monthly (It's not great but I need my fix of 'Ooo he's pretty!') Plus I wanted to get a Bat related book but was kind of daunted by the many titles.

The Batman line has been messed up in recent years. They've been doing all kinds of editorial edicts, and LOTDK was the lowest selling Batman comic, so they decided to try something more in continuity with it. This was mostly due to the fact that they decided to skimp out on BIG names after issue #100 (for the most part). So, they redirected the book. Of course, the whole redirection thing has not worked for the Bat-books, and I read that DC is admitting that "War Games" was a huge failure, and they're planning to give better direction to all the Batbooks after this story is over. Make them more like they were in the 80s. Hopefully this will mean that DC actually gives attention to LOTDK again.

And yeah, I agree that Brian Azzarello's story belonged in LOTDK! And, if it was the early-90s, no doubt it would have been a LOTDK story.

I was twisted up between Starman and Spectre. I went with Spectre only because I've read more of it than Starman, but Starman's style is just unbeatable. So far, Spectre wins in terms of Storytelling but from what I've heard the real height for Starman is in the middle of the series and I am not close yet.

I never read Dr. Fate, but DeMatteis' name makes me go a little goopy inside. Sounds good, might hafta check it.

If you're a big DeMatteis fan (and a fan of his more serious, darker work), then you'll love "Dr. Fate"! Although, it does mix a lot of humour in with the dark, philosophical writing too.

It's probably my 3rd favourite thing DeMatteis has written. Nothing beats "The Last One" for me, when it comes to J.M.! :)

DeMatteis' run on Dr. Fate was the 1980s series, and he wrote issues #1-24, plus the 1st Annual. There was also a 4-issue mini-series before the on-going series was launched which reintroduces the Dr. Fate character to post-Crisis DC. It wasn't as good, but might be worth picking up to get a feel for what DeMatteis was going to do in the monthly title.

Keeyah - if you want to try a single Batman title other than Nightwing, Detective Comics is probably the best of the core titles. David Lapham's 12-issue run (starting with #801) looks promising.

I can heartily recommend checking out almost any pre-#100 story from LotDK. There are some stinkers, but the odds of hitting one among the gold are pretty low, all things considered. That goes double for issues pre-#50 - only #31 and #41 are less than good.

I didn't think #41 was even that bad. It had some problems, and purists might hate it as a Batman story; but it was a fine enough read.

Detective #800 is supposed to be a stand-alone story also. Not sure the writer, but the preview said that Mad Hatter escapes from Arkham and goes on a killing spree, returning Detective to a darker, grittier, more focused title.

Some of my favorite tales for LOTDK were Jamie Delano's great tale called Terminus, DeMatteis' wonderful Going Sane (I saw that on someone's Must Read list also), Morrison's Gothic, Ted McKeever's Engines and that Warren Ellis/John McCrea joint.

Oh yeah! "Going Sane" & "Terminus" are must reads!

"Engines" is another great, great story. I'll ask "Masks" by Bryan Talbot.

If you only read the best LOTDK, these are the 4 for me.

Sorry Lou, but I thought "Gothic" was pretty contrived and I hated Ellis' story.

Sorry Lou, but.....I hated Ellis' story.

Hey, don't apologize to me, I didn't write it :p It was pretty dumb, tho, now that you mention it. I think I was suckered in by John McRea's lovely painted covers and crazy interior art.

Favourite LOTDK arc would have to be Matt Wagner's "Faces" from early on. That was a top notch story, with beautiful artwork.

have you read the Grand Guignol storyline, or did you drop the title?

I read the first couple of issues that made-up that story, mainly cause I wanted to see what happened to the red-headed, dirty cop guy but I called it a day due to lack of overall interest.

Going with the 'favourite LotDK stories', I'd echo Christian's vote for 'Masks' by Talbot, and suggest that it's a definite contender for best Batman story ever. Especially the 'alternative' ending, which wasn't used in the original issue, but made it into the trade version.

I'll also nominate John Francis Moore's 'Hot House' (best Poison Ivy story ever), Gothic (sorry, Christian, but I love it. Much better than Arkham Asylum as a Morrison Batman story), 'Faces' (good call, Atticus - I love the art in that one), 'Going Sane' and Alan Grant's 'Legend of the Dark Mite' (truly hilarious, fucked-up BatMite story - no, really - with marvellous art by Kevin O'Neill), and the 'Blink'/'Don't Blink' stories from more recent years weren't too bad either. A great comic, which is sadly missed.

Alan Grant's 'Legend of the Dark Mite' (truly hilarious, fucked-up BatMite story - no, really - with marvellous art by Kevin O'Neill)

i loved that one!

also - Mitefall, a sequel to this!

I read the first couple of issues that made-up that story, mainly cause I wanted to see what happened to the red-headed, dirty cop guy but I called it a day due to lack of overall interest.

ah, the scalphunter reincarnated? he was a geat character... Matt O'Dare, right?

i loved that one!

also - Mitefall, a sequel to this!

I haven't seen that one - what issue is it? Sounds like my kind of thing.

The only thing which I reckon could have made the near-perfect 'Legend of the Dark Mite' any better would have been calling it 'The Dark Mite Returns'. But maybe that's just me...

Mitefall was a stand-alone comic with one of those TPB covers, it was some 50-60 pages long... it continued the story of that junkie and his contact with the Mite...