Christian

Rumours 'R' Us

SilverBulletComics has an article up called "All the Rage" written by Blair Barnell. It has a bunch of comic book rumours listed.

I picked the best ones that have relevance to Vertigo readers:

First, Rogan may enjoy this one (or not):

It doesn’t look like Darko Macan (Soldier X) will be doing any Vertigo books in the near future. According to this blog, Macan made the following comments at a recent comic convention in Avilés, Spain.“Yo creía que Vertigo era un sitio donde se preocupaban por las buenas historias, pero sólo querían historias pretenciosas y deprimentes.”Roughly translated, it means:"I thought Vertigo was a place where they care about good stories, but they only wanted pretentious and depressing stories"

Secondly, our ol' pal Neil Gaiman:

SBC contributor, Michael T. Deeley sent in the following report from Neil Gaiman’s recent appearance at New Dimension Comics in Pittsburgh:

Marvel will reprint Miracleman and Neil's conclusion to his story within the next 18 months pending the conclusion of contract negotiations. "We're dotting i's and crossing t's."

Neither he nor Quesada have decided what his next project at Marvel will be.

The movie MirrorMask, which he wrote and Dave McKean directed, is in post-production. Neil's just finishing the movie script book, which he described as practically a graphic novel. MirrorMask has been submitted to the Sundance festival, and will hopefully premiere there in January, followed by a limited release in early spring.

Good Omens will not be turned into a movie with Terry Gilliam as director. Terry Gilliam couldn't find a studio willing to do a comedy about the end of the world after 9/11. Johnny Depp was slated to play Crowley. The film company is talking to other directors.

Death is going through at New Line Cinema. Neil just got notes from the studio. Some big stars are interested in appearing in it, but he's not allowed to say who.This Has An “Endless” Factor of Nine Out of Ten

Christian's comments:

I can't believe they listed Darko Macan as the writer of "Soldier X" for his most prominent comic work!

I really hope these Neil Gaiman projects turn out to be true (especially Miracleman!).

How stupid is that about "Good Omens" not being appropriate after 9/11?! In case I missed something, the fucking world never ended on that date!!! And, if I was an American, "Good Omens" is exactly what I'd like to see after a national tragedy.

Marvel will reprint Miracleman and Neil's conclusion to his story within the next 18 months pending the conclusion of contract negotiations. "We're dotting i's and crossing t's."

Fuck the 'Good Omens' movie...much as I adore the book, it probably wouldn't work onscreen anyway. Let Gilliam come up with a good idea of his own...he's got a pretty good track record for them. This morning I'm all about Miracleman. I really, really, really hope this is true. Best comics-news in ages if it is.

All signs point towards MiracleMan being reprinted by Marvel within the next year or so under its original title of MarvelMan.

Gaiman's brief stint on MM gets short shrift from a lot of folks but I liked most of what was in there, a definitie sense of menance spread over strong issues that shone a spotlight on various facets of the 'new' Earth.

Wonder if Moore will have any feelings one way or the other on Marvel reprinting it.

All signs point towards MiracleMan being reprinted by Marvel within the next year or so under its original title of MarvelMan.

Gaiman's brief stint on MM gets short shrift from a lot of folks but I liked most of what was in there, a definitie sense of menance spread over strong issues that shone a spotlight on various facets of the 'new' Earth.

Wonder if Moore will have any feelings one way or the other on Marvel reprinting it.

didn't Moore basically give the Miracle Man rights to Gaiman? anyway, great news about the reprinting! I hated having to read them on my pc...

He did indeed, which in part led to the eventual lack of future reprints.

Moore doesn't really like Marvel or DC though and he did make MiracleMan all that it was. Given his reputation, he probably couldn't give two shits about who published any forthcoming trades....hmmmmm...I wonder if he'll be entitled to royalities though ?

He did indeed, which in part led to the eventual lack of future reprints. 

Moore doesn't really like Marvel or DC though and he did make MiracleMan all that it was.  Given his reputation, he probably couldn't give two shits about who published any forthcoming trades....hmmmmm...I wonder if he'll be entitled to royalities though ?

I think Gaiman said something about splitting it with Moore and all the artists who worked on it.

Miracleman - good news

Mirror mask - even better

Death - won't work as a movie, esp. when they get Julia Roberts or whomever to play perky Goth Death.

Macan - well, i wouldn't be surprised... this is the man who declined doing a Dr. Doom maxi-series/ongoing when he could have used his experience in living near a real live dictatorship (Serbia) as a good inspiration...

I think Macan would love to write more stuff a la La Bete Noire, but Vertigo doesn't want that, they want Corinthian, et al.

well, look how poorly My Faith In frankie sold, and that was by an acclaimed Vertigo big gun...

For the Miracle(Marvel) Man reprints, will it be in trades or individual issues?

Although it is sad that one of the few good Marvel books will be a book done about 15 years ago. Maybe this will inspire Marvel? No, they will probably have "Ultimate Marvel Man" soon after and take 10 issues to tell the "new, more hip" version of Marvel Man's origin. And probably dump him in the Ultimate universe and ruin a great character.