Christian

Starman Discussion

OK, here's how this thread will work. I'm going to be (periodically) reading the entire "Starman" series that Rogan was so kind to send me on CD-ROMs. The discussion will center around the current story-arc I am reading. The post will be updated whenever I finish a new story-arc, or if I read a self-contained story.

Overall discussions about the entire "Starman" series are fine. Talking about James Robinson or the artists is also fair game. Let's just not jump ahead or post spoilers for story-arcs that I have not gotten to yet.

Thanks

Current Discussion:issues #0-3 (Sins of Father story-arc)

I will admit that this series started out very slowly and dark. It lost my interest, truthfully. UNTIL issue #3! Thanks to Rogan's prodding I just read issues #2&3. The series really picks up with the finale of this arc.

I see so many comparisions with the Ostrander "Spectre" series. It's different tone, stories, and characters; of course. The making the character totally accessible to new readers, revamping the character for a more mature audience, and incorporating all older incarnations of the series into one book is all present though. Both are also excellent reads!

I'm not saying that the first 3 issues were not needed. They were well paced to set up the origin of the character, they just didn't hold my attention.

I love the characterization of Jack Knight. A collector who cares "more about the past than the future" is a great character! I can relate to a lot of his thoughts from the 3rd issue.

The emotion and dialogue of the 3rd issue is superb!

We see nice interaction between Jack and his father really fleshed out here.

Even the choice of the Mist as an aged super-villain was a nice touch. You felt for the old guy, who was trapped by his own behaviour patterns and couldn't move on.

The first story is nicely wrapped up in the end, but there are more than enough foreshadows to keep your attention riveted for upcoming stories.

Question:Is that Brother Power the Geek that shows up near the end at the circus?! It looked like him!

I'll have to reread it before I'm able to discuss it Christian but I will do that soon. This is as good an excuse as any to sit down and read a great comic book series.

Most definately NOT Brother Power the Geek...

Starman #0 was the best thing (out of the really FEW good things) that came out of Zero Hour...

Christian - though the series started off slowly, you will see that the seeds for future storyarcs have already been planted, and that all of the introduced characters will play important roles further down the road... I would love to hear your thoughts on "Talking With David... '95" episode, since i believe it to be one of the highpoints of the series... it fleshed out the character of this goody-two-shoes, straight arrow brother of Jack Knight's, and showed us the other side of the medal. the B&W artwork is also simply superb.

Jack Knight, Ted Knight, Mist (and his daughter) - so many great characters... This seriews also had a GREAT incarnation of Solomon Grundy...

I don't really know about, nor care about "Zero Hour", but from the stuff I have read, "Starman" and "Spectre" seemed to be the only books that really utilized the #0 format.

Issue #4-Stand-alone:

I loved this story! I thought I was reading "Planetary" at time! (this is praise)

A Hawaiian shirt that's the doorway to Heaven....

Great stuff! "Well, can I just buy it off you?" "Yeah. I guess that'd be fine."

The End (minus Epilogue), he he he

Great to see this sort of stuff in a mainstream superhero comic.

Ah, the Hawaii shirt concept was my fave bizzarre idea at the time! I LOVE that issue!

That stuff with the objects as doorways will also be adressed later on in the series...

i'm telling you, Christian - there will be so many classic stories in the first half of the run, that you'll fall in love with the title (although the quality falls off late ron, it is nevertheles enjoyable)... Sand And Stars storyline, with ther Golden Age Sandman was beautiful. excellent coloring as well!

The next episode is also a stand-alone issue (with a theme that will be recurring once a year...) that i think you oughta read ASAP... it's kinda like reading that The Sound Of Her Wings episode in Sandman, when you see the writer finally getting confortable with the world and the characters he's made, and just lets loose.

Well, James, i'd suggest you buy the first 3-4 trades, since that really is the good shit...

...or i can burn you a cd with it...?

the trades are the following (in order of reading)

Sins Of The Father

Night And Day

A Wicked Inclination

Times Past

Infernal Devices

To Reach The Stars

A Starry Knight

????? (duno if they traded the rest of the space saga)

Grand Guignol (the latest trade, whom i'd LOVE to get, if anyone would like to trade for something nice...?)

James-Bargain with Rogan for a CD-ROM of "Starman"! I actually just browsed through my disc for the first time last night. Rogan put EVERY damn comic that was related to Robinson's "Starman" series on there! I thought it only had issues #0-80, but it has the annuals, specials, minis, EVERYTHING! Very, very thorough!

I actually read quite a few issues last night, but it was getting late, so I could either review them or "Uncanny X-Men" and I have to think about "Starman", so I chose to review the book I could make fun of.

Conversations with David-Very good story. I want to wait until the next installment before I really comment on it.

Next we had a Shade stand-alone story. I like it when a writer pauses the main story in a comic to focus on a back-story or supporting character. The Shade is a really cool character!

Then, we had a two parter where Starman visits a "haunted" circus. This was a really good story, and we first got to see Starman kinda take to the superhero thing. Only complaint was that Starman and Octavia had sex at the end. I found that unbelievable. I don't know why they would? They'd just met. I just can't figure out the purpose of it.

Shards was a really good stand-alone story. It was different in that the father actually TOLD Jack a story about his time as Starman. We didn't get a cut-away to the past sequence like in most comics. We actually got the father telling us the story. Might be my favourite issue so far.

A Showcase '95 Shade solo story. Was ok.

James-Bargain with Rogan for a CD-ROM of "Starman"! I actually just browsed through my disc for the first time last night. Rogan put EVERY damn comic that was related to Robinson's "Starman" series on there! I thought it only had issues #0-80, but it has the annuals, specials, minis, EVERYTHING! Very, very thorough!

Christian - did i manage to put everything on 1 CD, or did i split it in 2 cd's with the JSA comics...?

I actually read quite a few issues last night, but it was getting late, so I could either review them or "Uncanny X-Men" and I have to think about "Starman", so I chose to review the book I could make fun of.

then i forgive you, my son...

Conversations with David-Very good story. I want to wait until the next installment before I really comment on it.

it's an annual tale, and the 2nd one is even better than the first! even with the artwork!

Next we had a Shade stand-alone story. I like it when a writer pauses the main story in a comic to focus on a back-story or supporting character. The Shade is a really cool character!

When i grow up, i want to be The Shade... his miniseries is ALSO surprisingly good... the rose as his payment, the tale of the OTHER man with prolonged life and unique powers... i love this episode as well...

Then, we had a two parter where Starman visits a "haunted" circus. This was a really good story, and we first got to see Starman kinda take to the superhero thing. Only complaint was that Starman and Octavia had sex at the end. I found that unbelievable. I don't know why they would? They'd just met. I just can't figure out the purpose of it.

it serves to establish Jack Knight's character. He is not some holer-than-thou guy. he is often a kind of a jerk. he is also a guy who never passes up on a good opportunity. He saved the folks from the circus, they are grateful, and Octavia is even more flexible in bed than our Pooks. He went for the sex with a strange, but still appealing girl, after too much wine. Jack Knight isn't Superman, he isn't Peter Parker. He's not shy so he can't ask a girl out. He isn't tragically in love with the girl next door. He is a free agent, who hits on girls he likes. He isn't looking for the love of his life, or a meaningful relationship. What's wrong with enjoying the benefits of being a superhero?

Shards was a really good stand-alone story. It was different in that the father actually TOLD Jack a story about his time as Starman. We didn't get a cut-away to the past sequence like in most comics. We actually got the father telling us the story. Might be my favourite issue so far.

this story will be later on told as one of the Times Past installations, to clear up some matters (and to mystify others a bit more)... you'll enjoy it.

A Showcase '95 Shade solo story. Was ok.

Neron : "You'll rue this day!"

Shade : "Rue? If i had a 'rue' for every time someone said that... i'd own Paris."

what's not to like there :)

James-Bargain with Rogan for a CD-ROM of "Starman"!

Could I join in with said bargaining, Rogan? This sounds like a series I'd be interested in...

christ, so many people who haven't read Starman! What have you been doing all your life?! ;)

okay, this time i'll reverse the path - Tamb, i'll send you starman on 2 CD's (along with some issues of JSA), and you can then forward them to James. (BTW, will you get those HB discs from Ade?)

I'll hopefully get them from him tonight, otherwise at some point over the weekend. Thanks!

so - if i give you Starman, will you forward it to James, after burning copies for yourself?

It's divided over two CD-ROMs.

Disc 1 with issues #1-60 (plus all the extras) along with "Hero Happy Hour"

Disc 2 with issues #61-80 along with JSA stuff.

hmm....So these Rogan CD-ROMs are starting to be like STDs are they now?

"I warn you. It will be worth at the time, but later there will be a burning sensation. Are you sure it's worth it?"

"Pleasure me, Rogan!"

"Only if you promise to pass it on to James."

"Oh yes! Yes! I'll give it to him too!"

:unsure:

Eeeeeewwwwww

Just finished next issue, lost track of numbers, and forgot the title. It's the first issue that Solomon Grundy appears in.

Nice use of Grundy.

See? Now this is how I expected Jack to act. He goes and does something stupid because he think the girl asking him to do it is hot. He ain't getting any though! Kinda awkward, yet sexually stimulated guy. That's how I picture Jack. Not the "give us a fuck, eh?" type.

This issue sets up lots of plot threads for later.

i hoipe you'll like the Longest Day storyline - "Jack's day part I", "O'Dare's day/Opal's day" "Ted's Day" "Michael/Grundy's day"... it's an excellent storyline, where each episode shows the same day, but follows different characters on that day.

The Longest Day is very good. You definetly see that for James Robinson EVERY character is important gets a time to shine. Starman wasn't Jack Knight with bit players. Each character was developed nicely over the years.

While Rogan awaits my grande, all inclusive, in-depth (definition:it'll be more than a paragraph) review of the next major story-arc, I submit for your reading approval, the next issue!

Jack's father finally reveals the story of what happened between the JSA and the Ragman from 13 years ago. Very nice story to show the failure of heroes, that in the end, they are still human. This is kinda like the "Starman" big reveal in Delano's "Hellblazer" about "Newcastle", although I can't give it as high marks as the Newcastle story-line got for sheer importance.

I think it also works well as the transition between the Silver Age of comics and the mid-1980s transition of the comic book.

Up next:The next major story-arc! Stay tuned....

almost a month, and no posts here - Christian, seriously, man, start posting :p

or i won't send you those Hawkman scans.

Guest spiderlegs

I have just started "Sins of the Father" myself, and I completely agree that it starts off as a snoozer. When does it pick up? I don't wish to lose interest because I've heard good things about it, but I'm not feeling it, yet.

after the 3rd or 4th episode it picks up drastically. though i enjoyed the first storyline immensely, it doesn't give Jack Knight room to shine.

Starman truly is the only good thing to come out of 0-hour.