Lost_Johnny

Getting back into comics

Seriously. Brubaker's Captain America has been fantastic so far, and until about 6 months ago I'd have said exactly the same thing as you about the character. I still felt slightly dirty reading the comic for the first couple of issues, but it's well worth it.

Seriously. Brubaker's Captain America has been fantastic so far, and until about 6 months ago I'd have said exactly the same thing as you about the character. I still felt slightly dirty reading the comic for the first couple of issues, but it's well worth it.

Convince me. Not just that it's a good comic (hint: repeating "Ed Brubaker" at regular intervals will help your case), but that my reading it will not result in the sound of trumpets heralding the arrival of The Beast on this plan of existence, or something similarly awful.

Are there special brown bags you can place over the comics so other fans can't see you reading them? Support groups? "Hello, my name is Selkie, and I'm reading Captain America...."

Ed Brubaker Well, the first issue ends by getting rid of possibly the single most outdated concept in the whole Marvel Universe, which is a promising (Ed Brubaker) start. There's fantasic art from Steve Epting (who handles the present-day scenes, including some of the best action sequences I've seen in a comic in a while - thrilling without being over-the-top) and Michael Lark (whose WW2-era flashback sequences are even better than I'd expected them to be, and I'm a big fan of his work on Ed Brubaker Gotham Central). There seems to be a genuine effort to make the title character, particularly his absurd backstory, seem real - he actually feels like a man out of his time, and it's surprisingly moving. The use of the supporting cast is every bit as good as you'd expect from Ed Brubaker, with Nick Fury's part being particularly effective, and the willingness to actually shake up what I assume to be the status quo of the character's world (I wouldn't know, what with never having read a Captain America series before) without seeming needlessly retcon-heavy, and what little we've seen of the main villain of the piece is quite entertaining. There's a nice Cold-War-On-Steroids feel to the whole thing - it's a bit like Goldeneye with sillier costumes.

Besides, Ed Brubaker. The first trade of the run is due out in a few months, so you'll probably be able to at least check that out in the shop if you don't want to spend money on the series. And if it's in book form, you could borrow the dust jacket from some other, less embarrassing title (might I suggest Hustler Special: Grannies Go Wild?) to disguise your shame.

Ed Brubaker

Johnny, pick up the first Ex-Machina trade - the first issue alone is worth the price and is so good that I'm not going to tell you anything about it for fear of ruining it  :biggrin:

Didn't realise it was already out, blimey they bring the trades out fast these days don't they. Anyway have just ordered it.... I might just have to cut the plastic up if I carry on like this.

Strangehaven : A man crashes his car and ends up staying in a strange rural English town - oddness ensues.
I like the sound of this one ...next month maybe.

It reminds me of a play I heard on the radio when i was quite young, which really freaked me out. I was off school sick and I was fairly out of it if I remember right. The basic premise was that two blokes get stuck in a village when they crash their car. They stay at the local hotel while it is being fixed but then things start to conspire to stop them leaving, it was a real paranoia trip, in the end I think one gave up trying to leave but the other one finally made it to the train station and flung himself through the carriage door, only to find himself back in the hotel. Then next we hear the sound of an ECG monitor flatlining and a doctor saying something along the lines of, "we've lost the other one now" it turns out the crash had put them in a coma and one had pegged out earlier but the other one had shown signs of regaining consciousness before croaking it .... good paranoid stuff, maybe this is where all my problems started :biggrin:

thanks for the recommendations.

Selkie don't tell anyone but Iron Man was my favourite as a kid. Something about the eye slits dehumanised him for me, and yet you knew the human insecurities were still locked in there, why should that appeal to a kid?? Especially when you think one of my other favourites was Rom - Spaceknight.... oh dear, I was young though.

Mark did I hear you mention Ed Brubaker?

I think I made all the recommendations I can think of in the other thread. But since you mentioned Ed Brubaker ( ;) ), I'd just like to reiterate: Sleeper (Season 1 and vol. I of Season 2 are available in trade,with the rest due to be collected soon), his run on Catwoman (don't laugh. It was absolutely superb noir - dark, gripping, tough, funny and sexy. There are currently 3 trades available, and the next one, collecting issues #20-25, is due out soon. All are beyond excellent, especially Vol. III: Relentless, and any subsequent issues which get traded can be safely ignored, because the quality dropped horribly after #25) and Gotham Central (one trade already available at a bargain price, the next one's due out soon, and it contains one of the best comic stories put out by a mainstream publisher in the last few years) are all worth anyone's time, attention and hard-earned cash.

(P.S. Selkie - Captain America. Ed Brubaker)

I'll share the Captain America love. The new series is sweet. I'd also recommend the first six issues of the last volume as written by John Rey Neybor (Books of Magic) and illustrated by JOHN CASSADAY!!!!(Planetary)!!!!

Selkie don't tell anyone but Iron Man was my favourite as a kid. Something about the eye slits dehumanised him for me, and yet you knew the human insecurities were still locked in there, why should that appeal to a kid?? Especially when you think one of my other favourites was Rom - Spaceknight.... oh dear, I was young though.

It's OK. You were a kid. Besides, it's not like I'm in a position to tease anyone else about enjoying Iron Man any more. As for Rom the Space Knight, as long as you're not this guy, you're still forgiven. (Assuming there's anything to forgive - I've never read it and don't know whether it's something one should feel guilty about).

As for the Strangehaven recommendation, I strongly third it, but ... you should be warned that it is released on the industry's most irregular, erratic, and glacially slow schedule. There for a while, there was a new issue released every year. Consider yourself warned.

Mark has quite correctly steered you in the direction of Ed Brubaker's best, although I'd like to add An Accidental Death, illustrated by Eric Shanower, to the list. I'd love to say The Fall as well, but I haven't read it because drat if that isn't even harder than Accidental Death to find - and I had to go to a university comics archive, which I believe is the biggest in the world, to read AD. Worth picking up if you can find it.

Keeyah, I'll send you the first one down next week, see if you like it then we'll sort something out. It wasn't very expensive, anyway. You can always forward it on to Johnny if you don't like it. Otherwise we're a bit stuffed, with only one copy between two. Hmmm. I'll have to think about this. Maybe send Johnny the second trade?

PS. they won't smell of perfume will they, otherwise I'm going to get in trouble again ;)

So how would lipstick kisses go down then? :wink: :tongue:

Guest Guest_avaunt_*
Queen & Country : Follows the explots of MI6 special agent Tara Chace - dense thriller with a strong, well defined protagonist, heavily steeped in real world scenarios.

I just finished reading this as an actual novel, quite good I thought, I was going to ask if anyone had read the Graphic, and now I need not !.

:)

Keeyah, I'll send you the first one down next week, see if you like it then we'll sort something out. It wasn't very expensive, anyway. You can always forward it on to Johnny if you don't like it. Otherwise we're a bit stuffed, with only one copy between two. Hmmm. I'll have to think about this. Maybe send Johnny the second trade?
Don't panic, I've found out the first one is available at one of my local libraries, I've put a request in, so take me out of the equation if that helps. As it is everyone's been soooo helpful I've got a mountain load to catch up on.... and a rather large credit card bill on the way methinks. Just out of interest, does anyone know how long you can let your kids go without food before social services become involved??

So how would lipstick kisses go down then?  :wink:  :tongue:
Brilliant, does it cost extra?:biggrin: :biggrin: ...Dead man walking.

Guest spiderlegs
I don't really know, I just didn't get into it. Just not my thing, I guess. I can send one down to you, see what you think, if you want?

(I'm sorry, critical analysis isn't my thing. I go on if it moves me or not, and it didn't.)

:ohmy: There it is! My image of you...shattered...like...a carelessly placed wine glass so close to the counter edge...

When I started Transmet, I read "Lust for Life" first. It contains the greatest single issue of Transmet ever: "God Riding Shotgun."

Pooka, you must do this in order to restore my faith (and trust me, it will work!). Get out your copy of "Lust for Life" before sneding it on to Keeyah or Johnny. Read it to page 69 (3 single issues--should take a big brained broad like you less than half an hour to read them). Then report back here with your findings.

As much as I love Transmet, had I begun at the beginning, I mi9ght have been a tad put off by it at first. I t is my opinion that Mssrs. Ellis and Robertson hit their stride (found their voice, kicked in...what have you) by that issue #4. So begin with #4 at the beginning of "Lust for Life", proclaim your love for it, and restore my faith in your genius! Amen...

Oh, Johnny, pick up Warren ELlis' run on The Authority, too. I prefer it to Planetary

I'll look into it tommorow. Just for you. But I make no promises. :biggrin:

Guest spiderlegs

But the world does not rest idly while you do.Use these words, for they are prophecy...

It's cool, anyway, I checked last night, it's not in the one I sent Keeyah.

Just ignore that bit about Lost Johnny, I wrote that before I he posted he didn't want it.

Just ignore that bit about Lost Johnny, I wrote that before I he posted he didn't want it.
The offer was really appreciated though.... :happy:

Big thanks to everyone for the advice, just thought I'd let you know I'm off to sunny Wales for a week and will be taking the following reading matter with me:

Strangehaven Vol.1 - This really looks like my sort of thing.

Ex Machina: The first hundred days (+ issues 9 and 10)

Preacher vol.1

All the Seven Soldier issues except I can't get hold of Shining Knight #1 just yet.

oh and a couple of Philip K. Dick novels - Ubik and A Scanner Darkly.

If I get time in between these I suppose I'll have to take the kids to the beach :biggrin: speak soon.