JohnMcMahon

January 2005 Solicitations

TRUE TALES OF GIS IN IRAQ:

iraqis_tortured_newyorker-b.jpg

Any bets it's a bit more like this?

33112848.GootaloveDaddy.jpg

there are some damn beautiful covers among the DC solicits this month, with standouts being Fables (as always), Sleeper (yay! A Miss Misery centered issue!), We3 and Books of Magick, which if I'm not mistaken is the first time Quitely ever has drawn John Constantine....

As for comics to buy:

Best of Negative Burn. hell yes.

The Silence. I read a short by Bruce Mutard in the SPX anthology, and it was very very good. interested in this one, think I'll take a chance on it.

Dark Horse

BPRD - The Dead #3

Concrete - Human Dillema #2

DC

The Question #3

Sleeper season 2 #8

Hellblazer - Rare Cuts

Hellblazer #204

Fables #33

Books of Magick #7

Seaguy TPB

We3 #3

I recommend two Humanoids books this month:

The Incal part 1 (You need to read this)

Chaos Effect (collect two of the best Enki Bilal books)

I read The The Incal : Orphan of the City Shaft collection there a few weeks ago and thought it was a lot of fun. The living meat was a really funky idea, especially how it plays out in the background to pay off for the scene in the kitchens.

Marvel solits are currently up here - http://www.honnou.com/ryan/MVLPREV.txt

COMBAT ZONE: TRUE TALES OF GI’s IN IRAQ #1 & 2 (of 5)

Written by KARL ZINSMEISTER

Penciled by DAN JURGENS

Cover by ESAD RIBIC

Combat comics are taken to a whole new level! Three months in the lives of the 82nd Airborne in the Battle for Iraq are chronicled in this groundbreaking series by long-time embedded journalist Karl Zinsmeister ("Boots on the Ground: A Month with the 82nd Airborne in the Battle for Iraq") and penciler Dan Jurgens (Thor, Superman). In chapter one, "Paratroopers Over The Border," American paratroopers in northern Kuwait must contend with choking sandstorms, high-adrenaline training, and the hair-trigger tension that dominates the tense run-up to war in Iraq. War arrives in deadly fashion on their doorstep – in the shape of ballistic missiles. To survive, they must rely on the skills of men whom they’ve never met, but whose fates are inexorably linked to their own. In chapter two, "Hair Trigger in the Desert," spend a tense night with Cavalry troopers

assigned to guard a secret command post just outside an Iraqi city they have been ordered to liberate.

32 PGS each./MARVEL PSR …$2.99 each

I read The The Incal : Orphan of the City Shaft collection there a few weeks ago and thought it was a lot of fun.  The living meat was a really funky idea, especially how it plays out in the background to pay off for the scene in the kitchens. 

those are the Youth of John Difool stories, right? not drawn by Moebius, I think: theones solicited for January are the real, main story. it's a truly AMAZING book.

Oh right. Well I enjoyed the first 'prelude' and will be giving the second a go so I guess you can sign me up for the Incal proper too. What I'm really looking forward to is the next series of Technopriest books (I believe the DC trade I have collects the first three books).

Oh right.  Well I enjoyed the first 'prelude' and will be giving the second a go so I guess you can sign me up for the Incal proper too.  What I'm really looking forward to is the next series of Technopriest books (I believe the DC trade I have collects the first three books).

I think we're up to part 5 of Technopriests here, and in about two months or so we'll get the final Metabarons books (part 8). sniff...

It was The Metabarons that led me into the rest of the Humanoids/Jodorowsky works so I'm dying to see how that wraps up.

Anyone who finds themselves irked at the whole decompression thing could do worse than picking up any single issue of The Metabarons - 20 odd pages crammed full of total fucking craziness.

talking about bugfuck crazyness - anyone ever read Aster Blistok, or whatever it's called? Seth? Red?

Oooooooo! L.E.G.I.O.N. will be in Adam Strange #5! That could be cool.

Anybody gonna check out Space Ghost? The artwork looks awesome!

I think Space Ghost is just fucking crazy!

Remember that old cheesy cartoon show? and then, Cartoon Network had that classic "Space Ghost:Coast to Coast" program. I can't believe they're actually trying to play Space Ghost straight again!

:lol:

That Mike Carey Batman book looks quite good, and lots of Constantine goodness on offer.

There's the Ex Machina tpb which I might buy, just so's I can lend it to a mate of mine whose latent love for comics I'm gradually encouraging through tpbs (got him caught up on 100 Bullets, Ellis's Stormwatch & Authority and Queen & Country so far - HB & Preacher still to come :biggrin: )

But anyway, words cannot express how much in love I am with that Green Arrow cover. That is one beautiful piece of artwork. And is that Mia in Speedy's outfit?

Ooooh! Green Arrow spoilers!

Tell me, tell me.

No don't tell me.

Aw, go on, tell me.

No, don't

yes

no

aaaaargh!

If you were to tell me, am I likely to say "I wish you hadn't told me"?

Well, now....I have no idea what to do! :biggrin:

I guess I'll just say it's a major story-line for Green Arrow's new kid sidekick that will change the lives of her and Oliver forever!

isn't it a bit too dangerous to be running around beating supervillains, bleeding all over, if you have AIDS? I mean, Speedy or no Speedy, don't spread it...