sethos

Who watches ...

Let it die. Kill it, if necessary. No good can come from letting this project live.

I agree. I honestly don't see the point of making some half arsed version of Watchmen, I haven't been following developments, but the few bits I have heard are just so fucking wrong. Why cock it up? It can't be made as it is, so please don't bother. Just leave it as a really, really great book.

I've got to admit, I'm a bit relieved at the cancellation. Maybe the filmmakers had plans for what would have been an amazing movie, but the odds were against it from the start. Watchmen's got to be almost unfilmable, and the last thing the comics medium needs is an embarassing adaptation.

I'm glad there was going to be a Watchmen movie, though, because I'm sure that's what motivated DC to publish the upcoming oversized HC with improved coloring and scads of extras. I'm already price shopping that one and it's not even out yet!

(snip)

I've *got* to ask... *What* is that cat in your avatar doing?

I refuse to limit the creativity of anyone on the board, particularly the male members of the board, by revealing the truth about the photo. Besides, I'm sure the story that came with it was inaccurate.

I refuse to limit the creativity of anyone on the board, particularly the male members of the board, by revealing the truth about the photo. Besides, I'm sure the story that came with it was inaccurate.

But I'm not male. Limit my creativity, please! Do it by PM, if necessary!

The news of Watchmen dead at Paramount is right.

That pic of the cat is wrong.

The cosmic balance has been restored.

Guest spiderlegs
Hollywood has a "vendetta" against Alan Moore, and I want it to stop. They are going to cheapen it worse than Punisher, Constanteenangel, and DareDevil combined. Alan Moore deserves the best Hollywood can give him, not its dregs.

No justice, No peace!

I'm overjoyed that this WON'T become a film--at least not yet. I read Watchmen for the first time over the holiday weekend, and I was blown away, but knowing that they were going to maybe make a film adaptation, I was trying to imagine how they'd do it, and I think they'd just boil it down to the story of Rorschach and Veidt, and maybe a little bit of Jon. They couldn't really even do that much with the Minutemen or the Crimebusters, other than from Edward Blake's POV. They wouldn't do the rape scene/who is Silk Spectre's daddy because that would eat up too much screen time. It couldn't really be set in the Cold War, so would China be the bad guys? Terrorists? And it wouldn't be set in 1985, either. There would just be so much to cut out that here we would have another Alan Moore effort reduced to sugar free Pepsi. Blecchh!

In the script I read last year, Russia was effectively replaced by China - in the most appallingly cack-handed way imaginable.

I hope that my uplaod of the screenplay to the HB forums contributed to the demise of the movie, if only just a little :D

Good or bad news then depending what view you take of Watchmen as a film...

Personally I would love to see one, but done in the time period as depicted in the source material. Just out of curiosity, as I only joined the board during the summer, is the script you referring to the one this review is based on?

the long-in-development feature film version of Watchmen is not quite as dead as fans feared

Feared? Feared?! Has this fool actually read it?

Good or bad news then depending what view you take of Watchmen as a film...

Personally I would love to see one, but done in the time period as depicted in the source material. Just out of curiosity, as I only joined the board during the summer, is the script you referring to the one this review is based on?

I'm sorry, but I can't take that reviewers word for anything. He hated the ending of the Watchmen comic? It was brilliant!

All "Watchmen" fans clamour for a "Watchmen" movie! We FEAR that one won't ever be made....but with a BETTER ending than the comic! An ending for a post-9/11 world, where everything that ever came before is irrelevant!

I know Hollywood would never do a "Watchmen" movie in the context of which it was written (1980s, Cold War)....We can't expect that.