sethos

Who watches ...

Still wish Ozy was developed more and wasn't portrayed as such a snobby jerk.

But that's more or less what he is!

I liked the Director's Cut. It was way more complete than the theatrical version. The ending still sucks

Why? Apart from the lack of Jon and Ozys final dialogue (which would have been nice, but wasn't necessary in the film), it's more or less exactly like the comic...

And the island and the fake alien. That's sort of a big leave out. The dir cut added like 45 minutes of additional footage: more of the Hollis and Daniel scene, Daniel and Laurie, more Rorschach, more Dr. Manhattan. And nearly all the scenes that were left out of the first version but added into the dir cut were almost exactly as they were in the comic. And I'm not as big a fan as most, but with the dir cut, the only thing missing (other than combined scenes) was the island and the fake alien. What else was missing?

I liked the Director's Cut. It was way more complete than the theatrical version. The ending still sucks

Why? Apart from the lack of Jon and Ozys final dialogue (which would have been nice, but wasn't necessary in the film), it's more or less exactly like the comic...

And the island and the fake alien. That's sort of a big leave out.

Well, I'd agree that it was a big element of the story that was left out, but I don't feel the film missed it. Switching the fake alien squid for fake Jon's-rage-at-the-world seems a reasonable swap, I don't think the film suffered for that in particular.

No sign yet of the Director's Cut being released in the UK as far as I can see, which doesn't bode well for a UK release of the in-time-for-Christmas 5 disc Collector's Edition (which is the one I was holding out for at the expense of the Director's Cut)

Well, if you're morally opposed to [ Spoiler : torrents ], then ignore this:

[ Spoiler : h++p://isohunt.com/download/106839053/watchmen.torrent ]

I see. Well, it's worth the purchase. I wish I'd have seen the dir cut in the theater.

Zach Snyder SO wants all the haters to love this movie that he has recut it yet again: WATCHMEN: The Ultimate Cut. In this nearly 3 hours and 36 minutes version, the Tales of the Black Freighter story (previously sold separately in the original DVD) is interwoven into the rest of the film like in the comic, and more deleted scenes (straight from the comic) are added back in the movie. I had not known that Gerard Butler played the voice of the Sea Captain, so Imagine my surprise watching the opening credits only to see Gerard Butler get top billing for the whole film when he's not even listed in the end credits.

cover.gif

So, this was horrible, right? So true to the comic for the most part, yet so dead, stylistically, acting-wise, and I do think the ending misses the point, especially with Nite Owl killing Ozzy.

Otherwise it really does ruin the book for a whole lot of people.

Me and my tattoo agree.

Nite Owl killing Ozzy.

Wha? Ut?

Also agree. I think the definig flaw is that Snyder made a movie of his own interpretation of the book rather than making a movie that allowed the viewer to interpret it as they wish, as the readers of the book were able to.

almost made...

Terry Gilliam's Watchmen

At one point, in the late 1980s, producer Joel Silver was trying to make a Watchmen movie — one early script, by Sam Hamm, ends with Adrian Veidt going back in time and preventing Jon Osterman from becoming Dr. Manhattan in the first place. Hired as director, Terry Gilliam threw out that script and created his own version — but Silver couldn't raise enough money, and Gilliam wound up agreeing with Alan Moore that Watchmen was un-filmable by design.

Darren Aronofsky's Watchmen

Writer-director David Hayter tried to get a version of Watchmen off the ground in the early 2000s — and even filmed some test footage — but the project fell through. In 2004, Darren Aronofsky was hired to direct based on Hayter's script, but wound up dropping out because of scheduling conflicts with The Fountain.

Paul Greengrass' Watchmen

After directing the second Bourne movie, Greengrass was lined up to direct Watchmen, and got as far as creating tons of concept art and an animatic of the opening sequence where the Comedian was killed. But a change of management at Paramount and budgetary concerns led to the film falling apart, and Greengrass left to direct United 93.